• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New graphics card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
I'm looking to get a new graphics card for my computer. Currently I have a GeForce 7950 GT OC, I can run Crysis on Medium at around 20-30 FPS :wbored:.

I've been looking at some of the top cards, namely the GeForce 8800 GTX, which I've heard can run Crysis on Very High (well, any DX10 card can, but this one can, smoothly). But it costs around 500-700 bucks... What card would you recommend for me to be able to run Crysis on Very High?

By the way, I have a good computer which 'should' be able to run Crysis nicely. I have an AMD 64 X2 6000, with 3 GB of RAM.

Please help!

Level 8
If you want to run it on very high, you're probably going to have to spend some money here. These are the cards you will most likely need for running it on very high (along with Vista for DX10 of course). The 8800s are pricey but powerful, and the 8x00s are cheap but are DX10 compatible.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
8800 GT is faster than 8800 GTX as it uses a geforce 9 tech graphic core as apposed to the 8800 GTX's geforce 8 tech core. Currently the best card is the 8800 GTS (rev2) which is about 20% faster than the 8800 GTX but sadly has less memory but if you use a reasonable res like 1280*1024 it should easily run crisis on very high. Note that the geforce 8 cards with geforce 9 graphic cores need PCI-E 2.0 (which is better than what other geforce 8 cards need).

If you wait for the nvidia 9800 series, those should be able to max crysis with maybe even visual enhancements turned up slightly higher than normal.

Level 36
It's called PCI Express and if your motherboard was made in the last few years, it should have at least one slot for it.

If you don't have one, you're basically fucked. It will set you back 100 bucks (absolute minimum) to change your motherboard, but then the rest of your hardware most likely wont be compatible because it's so old (RAM, CPU, etc), so if this is the case you're better off buying a whole new PC than trying to salvage this one.

In terms of a card, I bought an ATi Radeon HD 2600 XT and it works great, I get good frames in everything, it's DX10 compatible, and it retails for about 180 dollars at Future Shop.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
PCI-E 2.0 is an enhanced version of PCI-E that the nvidia 8800 GTX and the ATI cards use. It has double the transfer rate and so automatically is a speed up over non PCI-E 2.0 cards as well as being fully backwards compatable with normal PCI-E.

The nvidia geforce 10 series will probably use the standard above PCI-E 2.0 (PCI-E 3.0) which is double the speed yet again but that is probably comming 2009/2010 and so do not wait for them.

If you really want a card that can run Crysis well and you do not have a PCI-E 2.0 mother board but have a normal PCI-E mother board, I recomend getting any 8800 series card. If you really want better graphics, spend slighly more on fans and go over clocking that card. As you will not get anything better than a 8800GTX for non PIC-E 2.0+ mother boards.

I also do not advise getting an ATI card, as especially with demanding games like crysis they can overheat and burn out unless you over do the cooling on your PC. So if you do go ATI, keep a close eye on your card's temperature to make sure it does not get too hot. Then again this advise is recomended for any new graphic card to make sure it lasts as long as it should.

Level 20
xD

I typo'd PCI-E 2.0. I know what a PCI Express slot is, but I'm kind of new to this PCI Express 2.0 stuff... My computer is fairly new, but it only has one PCI-E 16x slot. Is it possible to upgrade my motherboard to a PCI-E 2.0 compatible one, and if so, what would be the best quality/price deal?

Level 20
Level 36
Well the problem is all the brokerage and border fees, which I think still apply.

It depends, check out the specs. If you have an AM2 processor, or another compatible one (it will list them in the specs) then you're set. Just check to make sure your RAM, and harddrives also work, as well as making sure it fits in your case, etc.

Level 18
Well now it's pretty much a good idea to get shiz from the US, no? Most places don't charge customs anyway.

So... this would be a good choice, right?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3486546&CatId=2838

Is it possible to reinstall all of my current components on that? o_O Or should I call some IT guy to do it.

It's not too hard to install stuff, although CPU's can be a bitch. Otherwise, just make sure it has the correct ports for all your parts and that it fits in your box. And, you know, that you have a decent power supply unit. I reccomend one from Antec.

-*meow*

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ok, my mistake, there currently is no card/card configuration that can max or near max crysis. The closest you can get to maxing it is the nvidia 8800 GTX which runs max at about 4-5FPS if overclocked, so even that has to go with medium settings. ATI cards just do not push it as far as power goes, so no ATI card will be faster for now than the nvidia 8800GTX

The 8800 GT seems to have been falcly advertised, it is normal PCI-E acording to a magazine I received and is slower than a 8800GTX, but for its price it is extreemlöy worth it. It costs less than a nvidia 8800GTS and when overclocked is equally as fast at 1280*1024 resolutions and only is 1 card slot in width. So I would look into it if you like overclocking.

Level 36
Well, I have all settings on maximum, and I can crank maybe 40 fps, so I dunno what you're talking about DSG.

And GTX sucks balls. Worst card that Nvidia has released all year.

1) GTS schooled it in comparable horsepower AND price. It was hella cheaper and you get more for the money.

2) On top of that, the new GT gets even better frames than the GTS.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Its probably one really messed up magazine article then I read, and it is meant to be a very good magazine. . .

They said with all sets on max with crysis (which probably inclues AA and AF at over the games normal MAX) that it was reaching only 5 odd FPS but thats also probably them running it on something like a HD screen or even higher resolutions.

The GTX's main advantage was it really preformed better at higher resolutions due to having more memory than the GTS as well as being better in every way.

As for the GTS G92 version, now that is a powerful card, infact it is more powerfull than any other the other cards at low resolutions (faulters at higher due to less memory).

Level 15
And GTX sucks balls. Worst card that Nvidia has released all year.

1) GTS schooled it in comparable horsepower AND price. It was hella cheaper and you get more for the money.
[Citation needed]

2) On top of that, the new GT gets even better frames than the GTS.
And the new GTS gets better frame rates than the new GT. :smile: G92 for the win.

xD

I typo'd PCI-E 2.0. I know what a PCI Express slot is, but I'm kind of new to this PCI Express 2.0 stuff... My computer is fairly new, but it only has one PCI-E 16x slot. Is it possible to upgrade my motherboard to a PCI-E 2.0 compatible one, and if so, what would be the best quality/price deal?
PCI-Express x16 is forward compatible with 2.0, and 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.0. No need to upgrade unless you really need the extra bandwidth and additional features (which may be a good idea for a new machine if you have the money, but isn't required)

Status
Not open for further replies.