• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Basics Of Triggering (GUI)

Basics Of Triggering Tutorial
By Chief-Oblivion

In this tutorial I will break down and explain the making of triggers. Triggers are very simple but learning can be hard if everything is complicated. I will try and make this as simple as possible. Enjoy!

There are 3 basic parts to a trigger, the Events, Conditions and Actions. Together they form your trigger, there are more but I will explain those later.

Events
Events are what start the trigger, if that "event" happens the trigger tries to initiate. I will show you an example of an event.
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit is attacked
That event is a very broad one, that is saying if ANY unit is attacked to try and initialize the trigger. Luckily we have conditions.

Conditions
A condition is something that has to be met for the trigger to successfully begin. The event has to occur but the scenario has to also meet the condition. Example:

• Events
  • Conditions
    • Unit type of (attacked unit) equal to Footman
Adding that condition now narrows the trigger down from any unit being attacked to only activating if the attacked unit is a Footman. Yet again, pretty simple? Now that you know how to get the trigger started, time to make the effect.

Actions
Actions are what happen after the trigger has successfully been activated. This is the effect of the trigger, the funnest part of making triggers. Whatever you put in this slot is what will happen. (Repetative enough?)
Example:

• Events
  • Conditions
    • Unit type of (attacked unit) equal to Footman
  • Actions
    • Unit - Kill (attacking unit)
With that, after the trigger is initialized, (The footman is attacked) it kills the unit that attacked him. Very very simple concept to understand. The trigger above is a full trigger and works. It gets more complicated as your triggers get longer and more in depth. Those are the very basics of triggering but once you know the basics learning the rest is pretty easy.

Hope this helps,

-- Chief-Oblivion