• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Barrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
NOTE: Due to the large usage of steam engine and barrage steam engine I'll just refer to then by their acronyms

Hey there, this is probably a n00bish question since I've only recently started using the WorldEditor, but:

I'm working on a level atm, where I want to replace the SE with a 'hero' SE, giving it the ability to level up. So I created all the custom units and linked them correctly, however when I went to test it I noticed that the barrage upgrade replaces all of my edited units to the default BSE.

Any SEs I build after that are fine, but all the existing ones are defaulted.

I was wondering if there was a way around this. I would prefer not to use triggers to do it if at all possible.

Also another problem is that the barrage ability is using two units to accomplish it's upgrade (ie, SEs get replaced with BSEs rather than just upgrading the unit like the flare ability does)

The Workshop is set up to build both units but for some reason on the default setting the BSE button is hidden initially until upgraded (where the upgrade then replaces the SE button with the BSE button).

When I went to replace both units with my own, I noticed that my replacement BSE was also showing initally with my SE instead of being hidden.

Once the upgrade finishes, it 'swaps' the buttons correctly and hides the SE button in favour of the BSE button as it should however is there anyway (short of triggers) to hide the ability initially like it does by default?

Thanks heaps for your time, I appreciate any help

Level 19
umm ... WHAT ??? (sorry for spamming moderators may move this but I really didnt get what he means)

Level 2
Ok so Steam Engine unit (now the Siege Engine courtesy of TFT) got the ability Barrage in the expansion. The process actually uses two units in WorldEdit. One is your standard Siege Engine located under Human Units. The other is located under Human Special and is called Siege Engine (Barrage)

The Workshop where you build the Siege Engine has both of those units flagged for allowed building, however Siege Engine (Barrage) is hidden initially. When you upgrade to Barrage, the upgrade effects (in Upgrades under the Object Manager) is to swap the Workshop's current Siege Engine unit with the Barrage unit rather than just upgrading the Siege Engine itself...don't ask me why.

The other problem is that when you finish upgrading to Barrage, all the Siege Engines that you currently own are converted over to the new unit Siege Tank (Barrage). There doesn't seem to be a section where you are given an option of what unit to convert to. The effect is that if you have a hero class unit rather than a standard unit, the hero gets replaced with the standard and you lose all your hero stats.

After a bit more tinkering, I've managed a simple solution that I wonder why Blizzard even have it set up the way they do. Simply remove the original Siege Engine button from the Workshop, so the player can only create Siege Engine (Barrage) in the first place. Their upgrade Barrage is added on automatically (via default unit setup) and they don't get replaced out in the field. I have no idea why Blizzard set it up the way they have, but meh.

Sorry if my explanations are a little confusing.

Level 1
If you look at the ability/upgrade its self, some of them have a "base unit/alternate unit" section to them. if your alternate or base units are incorrect, you'll always end up with a unit you dont want. for example, if you were using the druid of the claw's bear form, it has the druid of the claw as one unit, and the bear form druid as the other. if you made a new unit and gave it the morph to bear ability, when you morphed back you may end up with a druid of the claw instead, or at worst the unit may cease to exist or make your wc3 crash.

Level 2
Aha, thanks Elven_God :) I didn't even think to look at that chaos ability. That's it alright :)

There's still the other problem of how to have both buttons - Siege Engine and Siege Engine (Barrage) on the Workshop but only have Siege Engine show until Barrage is upgraded. It does this with the default units, but not custom ones.

Last edited:
Level 8
Its easy to change... go to your map initialisation (trigger) and do that:
  • Event
    • Map initialization
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Player - Make Siege Engine (barrage) Indisponible for training/construction by (Picked player)
You have to do it with trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.