• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Avenheart Project Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
bGlX_gv69sjoYBmUaMMpyam_XUHbbXzMouj0KxcEARZ6KvLHKX22I7GHgHCdwd0r8jcdDV1Jr16sVWnTERosZgrl0aHy2-nulrVmQO1fiLKY0AA7O2ywNJPz72kbYMSLlkqWTmKk

Hello everyone :)

Here is the recruitment thread for the Avenheart project.

This thread will only cover the details of the positions we’re seeking and the details of our work organization.

If you wish to discover the project, feel free to head over the official thread.

Where I’m at
Right now I’m a lone developer using my spare hours to work on Avenheart.

I’m working full time at an indie development game studio and we’re about to release our first big Early Access game. This leaves Avenheart with fewer work hours than I initially expected. But I’m continuing nonetheless.

The project’s progress is and will likely continue to be slow (hopefully faster with your help).

I could finish the project as a solo-developer but the quality would greatly increase if I were to work with fellow experienced and passionate developers.

Positions
All the positions require Discord for text (and potentially voice) chat and a certain English fluency. I would rather work with people closer to my timezone (GMT+1) for the designers and writer positions (but doesn’t have to).

• Brainstormers (no limit)
The brainstormer will make himself available from time to time to exchange ideas, critics and feedback on the Discord. Members of the staff will ping @Brainstormers whenever we need them, whether in advance or on-the-fly.

Looking for: High experience in strategy maps, clear explanation skills

Job Availability: Now

• Playtesters (no limit)
The playtester will make himself available from time to time to participate in on-the-fly or organized playtest sessions. He will deliver feedback about the specific topic the playtest session was designed for after the playtest game.

Looking for: From little to high experience in strategy maps, clear explanation skills

Job Availability: May

• Producer (1)
The Producer will be my right-hand man. We’ll be in direct and constant communication through Discord. He will be helping for Discord, social links and communication with other members of the team. He will also help me on any intendancy task that might arise. Finally, he will try to find ways to promote the game and the community.

Looking for: Organized, happy, english writing skills and attentive to details.

• Modellers (no limit)
The modeller will be in charge of expanding the unit roster of the different nations of the game. He will have to swap animation sets from units to units, add birth and work animation to structures and convert doodads into such structures. He will also have to modify doodads or unit textures to include teamcolor. Depending on the artist’s skills and wish, we can brainstorm to modify the initial plan.

Looking for:
Anyone who can do this! :D

• Terrainer (1)
The terrainer will be responsible for making the layout of the level design look pretty and coherent while remaining clear in a top-down perspective. He will enhance the feeling, uniqueness and fantasy of each place. He will also make sure not to modify the collisions and layout to ensure a quality pathing experience for all units. He will pay attention to performance costs. In the long term and if the artist wishes, we will be working on additional maps and terrains.

Looking for: Anyone who can do this, once more. I’d like to see some of your work though.

Job Availability: June+

• 2D Artists (1)
The 2D artists will be responsible for making 2D logos, 2D banners, stylized titles, loading screens and all 2D marketing materials following the intentions we’ll set up together.

Looking for: Anyone who can do better than what we do with online tools (and I’m pretty proud of myself at that level because I’m far from being an artist!).

• English Writer (1)
The writer will be in charge of bulletproofing and improving every bit of texts I’m writing for the game and the marketing materials. This includes any forum thread but also the Discord server, the map data and any extra documents that might be needed for the project.

Looking for: English and clean native speaker. Having a sense of turning of phrases is a plus.

• Story Writer (2)
The story writers will be in charge of helping design and write the backstory of the game with me. This includes every lore text contained within the map itself: nation names and history, unit, item and heroes lore hints and everything related to the story.

Looking for: Hardcore fantasy reader/writer. Please include a list of fantasy books or series that you’ve read and deem interesting to mention (please do not include the Lords of the Rings or any book taking place in a video game universe).

Job Availability: May+

• Game Designer (1)
The Game Designer will help design any aspect of the game we might need help with. It will probably cover most of the game systems and mechanics as I’m already feeling the need to talk on a weekly and active basis with another game designer. We need to share the same vision of the project to be able to work together. He will be as passionate as I am about the project.

Looking for: Game Designer (or Map Designer), high experience in strategy maps, constant Discord activity (just like me).

• Balance Master (1)
The Balance Master will be helping the Designers to balance the map. It includes units, heroes, economy and pretty much anything having an impact on balance.

Looking for: Top notch experience and skill in strategy maps

Job Availability: Later in development

• Gameplay Programmer (1)
The map is currently fully coded in GUI. I could finish this way but the ideal would be a fully optimized map made by a more experienced developer than myself. The idea would be to develop the optimized map in parallel to the current map prototype The programmer would therefore be in charge of implementing the entirety of the map code, systems and content within the map. Systems have to be modular and extensible.

Looking for: Experience in programming on a shipped map, project or game.

Job Availability: Later in development

• Online Ranking Programmer (1)
The ELO system Wc3Stats offers is wonderful and can be the final system the game uses. But the ideal situation would rather be a system such as the one provided by Risk Next Generation back 10 years ago. The stats of each player were tracked online and you could check them on a website. I’m willing to pay a small fee to host data online. But I do not know how to do this by myself and won’t learn. If I remain alone on this side of things, I’ll stick with Wc3Stats. We’ll brainstorm together to see what solution we will implement in the game.

Looking for: The ability to set up one or both of the ranked solutions.

Work Organization
Pretty ease and chill. Do our stuff, talk with others on our Discord server.

This thread sounds all official and serious to my ears, but in all honesty, it’s mostly about being a bunch of nerds working on a project interesting to all.

To go a little bit into details here’s what I’m thinking of:
  • For the most chat-intensive positions, we’ll be in constant communication on Discord
  • For the most creative positions, we’ll be doing weekly meetings and granular communication on Discord
What would you get?
Nothing but what I have: belonging to the Avenheart development team and having your name on the credit list.

I’m interested in leaving Avenheart as a legacy but it doesn’t have to be as a solo-developer. It can be our legacy.

You’ll get to join a fun and chill development team (composed solely of myself for now! :D) and embark on a journey to ship a strategy map.

If it works, you’ll get the pleasure to interact with and react to the community.

Interested?
Head over discord.io/Avenheart and send a message on the #project-application channel in the Development Section. Or you can post a message here on the Hive.

Please include these information: position you wish to fill, Discord Tag, Battle Tag, years of strategy map experience, warcraft experience, most played maps, map making experience and include any links to work you’ve done in the past when it comes to map making or the position you’re wishing to fill. Finally, please tell us why you’d like to work on Avenheart.

Best profiles will be long-time strategy map players for all posts but programming and implementation.

If you want to become a Brainstormer or Playtester, you don’t need to include a portfolio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.