• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Avenheart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
bGlX_gv69sjoYBmUaMMpyam_XUHbbXzMouj0KxcEARZ6KvLHKX22I7GHgHCdwd0r8jcdDV1Jr16sVWnTERosZgrl0aHy2-nulrVmQO1fiLKY0AA7O2ywNJPz72kbYMSLlkqWTmKk

Hello everyone :)

I’m proud to reveal the new hobby project I’m working on: Avenheart.

Map Status | In Development, Not Playable
Latest Thread Update | 4/5/2020
Community | Discord.io/Avenheart

Map Description
Sum Up
Genre | Strategy Map (capture, income & recruit based)
Players | From 12 to 24 (based on the terrain you’re playing on)
Alliance | FFA and ingame alliance based
Visibility | Fog of War
Platform | Warcraft Reforged
Unique Feature | Diplomacy System

Pitch

‘Lead and expand your small empire through conquest, diplomacy or economy and establish your dominance over the world of Avenheart.’

Concept
Avenheart is a renewed and modernized strategy map with unique twists on the diplomacy system.

Players start the game with a capital-town, a few fighting units and their king.

They have to grow their empire and income by capturing neutral and enemy towns while developing tech and upgrades and unlock new types of units. They can decide to kill or turn into vassals the other nations they fight with and defeat.

Objective
Victory
One player and his team have to control a certain percentage of all towns on the map for one entire round to win the game.
The diplomacy and victory systems support both solo and team win in a fair way.

Defeat
A player loses when his King dies (unique hero unit) and the player is unable to revive it for several rounds in a row.

Duration
I’d like public and unmodded matches to last somewhere between 30 minutes and 1 hour.

Release Date
No release date planned yet.

Intentions
  • Fast paced yet “empire growth” feeling
  • Comfort new players with a streamlined map and outlined goals
  • Reward mastery
  • Avoid stalemates by rewarding offensive behaviors
  • Breath life into the usual organic strategy map diplomacy with game mechanics
  • Give competitive value and fairness to ingame teaming
  • Renew the experience each game with random systems
  • Leading Keywords | Empire, Armies, Technology, Alliance, Betrayal, Strategy, Civilization

Fantasy

Players chose a nation (and its ruler) among a wide variety coming from the handcrafted fantasy world of Avenheart.

Avenheart is trying to fully optimize the new arsenal of wonderful models Reforged offers. Ranging from humans, orcs, trolls, goblins, high elves, night elves, treants, kobolds, gnolls, taurens, ogre, fel orcs, nagas, murlocs, razormanes, satyrs to many sea and land creatures as well as a bunch of custom models (mostly from Tamplier777 and Retera, full credit list available later).

Nations are designed to feel unique and thematic, following the lore that was written specifically for Avenheart.

The simple and effective map-tailored backstory reinforces their theme by providing surprising details and ingame connexions between nations.

Nations should feature a coherent unit line-up and be relatable to the players.

Key Features
Diplomacy
Vassal
In Avenheart, you can literally create an empire by ruling other players. You can either conquer their capital-town or send them a diplomacy request to turn them into Vassals.

Once a player is your vassal, you will have semi-control and vision over his units and perceive 40% of his gold income. But you are limited to a certain amount of vassals and nothing prevents them from turning back against you. You also gain many other benefits from having vassals (and to counterbalance, you also have unique bonuses when remaining solo).

A player and his vassals win together and all their towns are taken into account to determine if they reached the required amount of towns to win the game.

Unit Synergies
As a ruler, you can choose a unique unit type from one of your vassal nations and start training that type of unit. This makes possible combination with your armies unlimited.

Solo-players
To counterbalance the odds as a solo player, you gain access to an array of abilities and bonuses (like global Roar). Soloplayers will also have the opportunity to unlock new units to train. But whether they get them from defeated players or a neutral and unique pool is yet to be determined.

Wc3Stats
All these diplomacy systems only unleash their true potential if players actually try to win the game (earn ranked points or at least try to mitigate a potential loss).

In that regard, I wish to link the map to Wc3 Stats and use their ELO system. A solo player would gain more points than a player using vassals. And the vassals would gain less points than their ruler and share the same pool of points (meaning the more vassals, the less points earned by them).

The entire reward system needs lots of consideration and tweaking to be acceptable to the players and incentivize exactly the right type of behavior within the map.

Ideally, I would like competitive players to see diplomacy as one of the many valid and competitive tools to win the game.

Lords
Every ruler can turn one of his Vassal into a Lord (he can only have one at a time).

As a Lord, you are granted vision over your ruler’s units, you no longer share semi-control of your own units and you pay only 20% of your gold income as taxes. You are also considered in a higher tier bracket when it comes to victory and ranked point calculation.

This mechanic promotes competition between vassals and a way to earn more points if you’re a competitive player which has been turned into a vassal.

Emissary
Emissaries is a unique type of unit which has access to an ability called “Negotiate”. When used on a capital-town, a king or a simple town, this ability will prompt a dialog asking you what type of diplomacy request you wish to send to the target’s owner.

Players have access to a wide variety of requests: from submitting a vassal to opening a trade route, claiming income over a town or waging war.

The request is added to the inventory of the targeted unit and the owner can click it to accept or decline it.

This is the only way to modify alliance properties (aside from simply attacking another player).

With the Vassal and the Emissary mechanics, Avenheart is trying to emulate the feeling of creating your empire through political and military influence (you could say Game of Thrones). Without undermining the importance of warfare and sheer pleasure of throwing waves of armies at your opponents (because that’s what the game should be about, before anything else).

Waging War
In Avenheart, players are incentivized to wage war against other players in an official way: through their emissary.

Doing so grants you bonus victory points when capturing town against that player (for several rounds in a row).

Attacking another player without warning will prompt a message to all players claiming that you backstabbed someone.

Right now, I’m not thinking about giving any kind of debuff to the backstabbing player (other than pinging him to everyone). But it might be a fun addition to the game if backstabbing someone does something (for instance nerfing the damage of all the backstabber’s units for a few rounds).

Random Nation Draw
There are over 30 different nations in Avenheart.

At the beginning of the game, 2 are randomly drawn in the pool for you to choose from.

Consequently it’ll take several games to encounter all nations as not all of them will be present in each game.

Game settings will allow customization of this selection phase.

Resources & Random Generation
Each town generates gold income and provides a certain amount of food, it can also generate extra lumber and gold income based on the natural resources it has.

Each game is different as resources are randomly granted to different towns (in a controlled and balanced way). One town can be a central focus point in one game but simply be a supply and training point in another.

In addition, players are spawned at random (and controlled) locations on the map.

Town System
Towns feel alive and evolve through ages (main tech) with you.

Capture
Like ‘Lords of Europe”’, attacking a town down to half its health will capture it.

But in addition, you also take control of every structure and villager it has.

This gives players an incentive not to destroy everything when attacking (and the other way around, it enables the ‘scorched earth’ tactic).

Building Radius
Towns have a radius around them, you can only build structures there. This prevents tower-rushing and enhances each town’s importance. Not to mention it gives a special look to the map and seems more logical.

Villagers
Towns automatically generate villagers which provide extra gold income and harvest nearby resources.

Farms
You can build farms nearby towns to increase your income, but you are limited to a certain amount of farms per town.

Tiers
You can upgrade your towns into higher tier, increasing the maximum amount of farms and villagers it can host but most importantly unlocking new tiers for your farms and new structures to build. It will effectively change your town’s appearance (in a minor yet pretty fancy way).

Victory Point System
All players have a victory point counter.

Many actions in the game reward victory points such as killing units or players, submitting other players or evolving through technology ages (and many other things).

At specific victory points thresholds, players can choose permanent and generic bonuses (for their units, king, structures or income for instance).

In addition, the amount of ELO points granted to each player at the end of the game is calculated based on the amount of victory points they earned and the bracket they’re in.

Brackets are as follows: winner, rest of winning team ordered by victory points earned, defeated players ordered by victory points earned.

Defeated players lose elo points, these points are massively granted to the winner and the rest is shared between all vassals of that player.

Private Message
Emissaries have a long-range ability to send private messages to other players. It basically opens up a communication wheel (in the form of a dialog).

This is meant to replace the “private message” built-in Warcraft system which is kind of hard to use in an effective manner.

Nation Fantasy Coherence
Nations’ unit roster have been thoroughly designed to offer a good mix of unit types, a cohesive look and a strong identity within the world of Avenheart.

Handcrafted Unit Roster
Each single unit has benefitted from extra-mega care and love in an homogeneous way.

The pathing map of all buildings is refined, the unit collision size allows circling while keeping pathing smooth, selection circles have a certain stylization, units and buildings have been scaled down one by one following an height scale, movement speed have been reduced to follow the size reduction and run animation have been tuned accordingly, projectile spawn and death offsets are offset properly, each unit has a voice line, everyone has a gameplay and lore description with a fancy format, a unique name specifically designed to enhance nation’s identity and many other details.

Ingame Tutorial
During nation selection, you can press escape to enable tutorial tips for this game. If you do, a quest will be spawned in the quest log and you’ll be prompted with messages, sounds and selection events whenever you encounter a new mechanic (nothing too invasive). It should hopefully walk you through all the different stages of the game.

Features
Balanced Maps
The level design has been carefully designed to aim for the best possible balance between all the random starting locations available to the players.

In addition, Avenheart is meant to have other terrains to fight on, to renew the game experience. Keeping the same rules and nation roster but with different size, player count, resource density and types, level design, point of influence and unique neutral events/buildings.

Usual Balanced Layout
Avenheart Map Layout.png

Nations
Each nation has a roster of 6 unique units, a unique passive and a unique hero (king).

The same nation can’t be picked twice.

There are several intentions behind the amount of units available to each nation, which may seem little at first glance:
  • Make it easier to learn new nations
  • Keep the dynamics of army composition and counter clear and easy to learn
  • Infuse a versatility within the units’ abilities and upgrades instead of new units
  • Make it easier to invest money to raise armies
  • Help keep the focus on unit lines, formations and composition during battles
  • Keep the overall focus of players on fighting and macro evolving rather than unlocking many similar-ish things
  • Players will unlock new unit types from their vassals or defeated players anyway
Kings
Picking a nation goes alongside picking its king. It’s both a powerful unique hero unit and a defeat condition.

If the king dies and is not revived within a few rounds, the player loses the game.

Kings can smoothly enter and exit the combat, they are tough but not invulnerable and they deal moderate damage. Different kings have different base stats and attack range. Some are better at fighting and others at supporting their armies.

Kings have an array of unique abilities and can wear equipment and actionable items.

Kings frequently gain micro power-ups from fighting and they unlock powerful abilities when their owner techs-up their capital-town.

Age & Tech-Tree
Players evolve through 5 different ages:
  • Discovery Age (starting age)
  • War Age
  • Magic(al?) Age
  • Conquest Age
  • Imperial Age
Each age allows towns to evolve into a higher tier and unlock new buildings, units and upgrades.

Warfare
Avenheart features a regular but proven combat system.
  • Damage & armor types to setup your army composition and counter the others
  • Few key abilities requiring micro to have a huge impact on the battle
  • Lots of easy-to-use togglable or untargetable abilities to have small but tangible impact on the battle
  • Macro management of cheaper units
  • Micro management of the King and bigger, more expansive units
  • Neutral actionable items available for any King to serve as “counter” or “adapting” tools to avoid being hard countered by some strategies because of your nation (pretty much like a neutral silence minion in Hearthstone)
  • Fighting using the same key principles used in other RTS games (flanking, dividing, crossfiring, focus firing and all of the Art of War)
  • Armor / defense upgrade are important and increase the game pace a lot (by shortening the time-to-kill a unit)
On a side note, Avenheart doesn’t reward gold for killing other units, it rewards victory points (which grant bonuses at different stages of the game).

Trade
Each player has a ‘trade token’. He can use it on any other player (through emissaries) and change whenever he wants. When it is used, the player can start sending trade caravans to any town controlled by the other player.

Chosen caravans will start journeying between two towns, generating income for both players.

Game Modes
I’d like Avenheart to feature as much customization as possible.

Here is a (non-comprehensive) list of settings I’d like to be implemented: time between rounds, max ally count, fixed alliance, mutual alliance, control percent, xp rate from combat, defeat condition… I’d be glad to hear what you’d like to see!

Nation Roster
Here’s the exhaustive nation roster.

Nations are categorized by race in this list. For now, races have no impact on gameplay and are only used to categorize nations and tech-tree sharing.

Humans
Orlong's Watch, Ashka's Flame, Tyr Outlaws, Bjorg Gauntlet, Norskarr Clan, Emerald Council

Orcs
Sipahi Travelers, Shat Khan, Dahlgur Walkers, Naazim Raiders, ????

Wild
Yaziig Seers, Mogz Heist, Wildskarr Fort, Elizii's Herd, Kezz' Pack

Trolls
Wanjin Union, Mosho Village, Nor'vi Tribe, Janto Warriors

High Elves
Aëdhen Guard, Sashashin Order, Rising Sun Banner, Shaheer Union, Kazawa Monks, Aëdhen Lineage

Night Elves
Alena's Hunt, Feldran Druids, Kewen Sentinels, Ash'rin Riders, Tendoras Grove

Nagas
Nashin Shoal, Kojiro's Scales, Yanthu Chapter, Naav'i Chapter, Layto Tides, Xah Highborn

Feel free to feedback any thoughts you have on the nation roster, their name or anything at all.

The Community
Interested?
You’re hyped and want to support the development but don’t know how? Here are a few things you can do:
  • Join the community on Discord (Discord.io/Avenheart)
  • Participate in the map design and development on Discord
  • Talk about the map around you and invite people to Discord
  • Introduce the map to other strategy map communities
  • Post here, on the Hive, to share your interest and bump the thread
  • Subscribe to the thread and follow the updates
  • Post feedback, idea suggestion and constructive critics
Want to join the team?
I can complete the project as a solo-developer, nevertheless the quality would greatly increase with some help on several subjects.

You can check out the recruitment thread for more details.

Here are the positions that can be filled:
  • Brainstormers
  • Playtesters
  • Producer
  • Artists
    • Modeller
    • Terraining
    • 2D Artist
  • Writers
    • English Writer
    • Story Writer
  • Designers
    • Game Designer
    • Balance Master
  • Programmer
    • Gameplay Programmer
    • Online Ranking Programmer
About
The Project
The project is born both off of the hype following the Warcraft Reforged release (we all know how it went) and the community still surrounding ‘Lords of Europe’. It made me want to start map making again.

But I wouldn’t just work on a map, I would work on a durable and memorable strategy map. And more importantly, it would be the last map I would ever work on.

Following this spark of motivation, I’ve spent most of my evenings and week-ends for the past two months working on Avenheart. And here we are!

Me!?
I’m 29 years old and I live in France. You may have met me under the nickname nTh]Nemesis, EuR]Yun., Goffterdom or Yun-Kun (among many others) but I usually go by the name Elliot Yun nowadays.

I started map making at the age of 12 and became a professional game designer at the age of 23. I’ve been playing at a high level of skill in many different games ranging from Risk and League of Legends to CS:GO and Overwatch (among many other PvP games).

I released the map ‘Lords of Europe’ more than ten years ago and there is still a small yet living community around it.

I’m both a game designer and a programmer and I’ve been teaching these topics in video game schools in Lyon (France) for 6 years now. I also teach through the strategy guides I write and hundreds of tutorial videos I record and publish on Youtube.

Today I’m working in an indie game development studio and we’re in the process of releasing our first big title ‘Roboquest’ this year (in Early Access).

Reforged
Despite all of Reforged flaws, broken promises/features, awful and disrespectful communication and overall mess, it made me come back. I can only try to do something with it.

I kinda like the graphics, even if it also has many flaws. In fact one of the things I’m eager to see are my powerful armies marching on the world of Avenheart with the Reforged graphics.

We had a surge of players at release and it was really enjoyable. But nowadays I feel like fewer and fewer remain. I can only wish that I complete Avenheart before everything falls apart, if it does.

And that's it! Setting up the Discord server alongside this thread and the recruitment thread was a hell of a writing ride! I hope it's not too much and I hope it gets some attention (but I'm a bit pessimistic on that side of things).

In any case, I wish you all good luck in your project and have fun playing the game :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.