• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attack Move (Fortress Survival)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
How can I make creeps attack move exactly like in the Fortress Survival map? Because I ordered them to attack move to the position of the players but once they built walls, creeps will just go around and around outside their base....
Note: Sorry for my bad english

Level 5
Well, creeps in Fortress Survival Map always find their way to the base of the players and attack their wall first then attacking their tower then clear all the building in that player's base. Sometimes I can see that there are some buildings in the map and creeps destroy them too. I thought the trigger was "attack random units in unit group (in playable map area)" but its not. Because if I do that then creeps will only stand outside the base if there are something blocking their ways to the target....

Level 22
I hope I got it right.
So basically, you want to know how to make creeps attack-move to the base of the players and how they attack everything in their path before reaching the destination?
You can use this:
  • Unit - Order YourUnit to Attack-Move To (Center of YourBaseRegion)
It's as simple as that. Just create a region somewhere in the base as the destination point for the creeps then order them to Attack-Move there.

Level 5
they can't attack move to some point if there was something blocking their way to that point. Ex:
2.jpg

Creeps will just stand down there and let towers kill them 'till the end of the game..... How can I fix that problem ? Plz help. I hope you understand what I said....

Level 5
I don't know how to do that. They just keep staying down there. That's why I posted this topic..... How to make creeps first attack walls (everything blocking there way to the target) then towers then buildings....? My map is a survival map. Players will build walls and towers to defend their base against waves of creeps.

Level 22
Well, in the screenshot you provided, I don't see any wall. All I see is the towers standing on higher terrain heights than that of the creeps.
If what you meant by wall was cliffs then it's impossible. No unit can attack cliff. But if the wall is a unit / building, then that is possible for the creeps to attack it.

Level 20
Ok, so from what I understand:
The idea for your map is that you have groups of creeps making their way through lanes and the player building towers on the high ground and walls on the low ground to kill/slow down creeps before they reach and attack the base?

Looking at your screenshot - the problem in your case is probably not that there is something that blocks the units from progressing, but that they just keep trying to find a way to attack the towers that shoot at them. Because the towers are on the high ground and the creeps cannot find a path to reach them, they just stand under the towers and don't move/run back and forth in the same area, but don't go any further.

I think the most simple fix would be to just make the things on the high ground invulnerable (but keep the ones on the low ground vulnerable). I did a quick test and it appears to work.

Last edited:
Level 20
Well, you could always make a trigger that would make all the invulnerable stuff vulnerable once everything else is dead.

But still, I don't really understand what it is that you want to do? Please convey your intentions more clearly and perhaps we'll figure out something.

Last edited:
Level 12
Guys, he's clearly talking about those two unfinished buildings to left on the screenshot, there's clearly a path to the tower that has been blocked by other buildings, what's so difficult to understand lol?

That said while in map editor you can press the keyboard button "p" to see the pathing colors on the map to make sure that the terrain pathing is correct.

Anyway, my attempt to help:

Only way I can think of is to somehow figure out the pathing (not including buildings & units) and then figure out which buildings or units has to die that would clear a path to the tower within the shortest time, i.e. for simplicity's sake: least number of blocking buildings required to kill (so not counting Effective Hit Points, distance to move, etc), and then order the creeps to attack that building.

How you would do that I've got no real idea.

What I'm guessing is that there's some way to change the unit behaviour, since that should be way easier, try stuff like removing the computer AI from the creeps, trigger action - ignore unit guard position, object editor unit data - unit can flee = false, and whatever else you can come up with.

Level 5
Attacked units will ignore units that is not attacking them. So basically your walls need an attack, it doesn't matter how much damage they deal.

I'm already added damage for walls from the beginning but they won't solve the problem (mostly still the same problem). But I don't know how Fortress Survival Map can make creeps attacking walls (walls don't have damage) without having the same problem like I did @@

Level 12
I'm already added damage for walls from the beginning but they won't solve the problem (mostly still the same problem). But I don't know how Fortress Survival Map can make creeps attacking walls (walls don't have damage) without having the same problem like I did @@
The creeps are probably ordered to attack the wall instead of normal attack move. But there could perhaps be another way as well.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You sure the "creeps" in that map really are creeps and not players? AI players have much better combat responses when it comes to walls than creeps. For example melee creeps will try to attack range units behind walls to no avail but AI player melee units will attack the walls to get at the range units.

Level 5
The creeps are probably ordered to attack the wall instead of normal attack move. But there could perhaps be another way as well.
If they were ordered to attack walls then when the walls died, they will attack tower too but the problem is they won't attack buildings inside the base but will look for other walls....

You sure the "creeps" in that map really are creeps and not players? AI players have much better combat responses when it comes to walls than creeps. For example melee creeps will try to attack range units behind walls to no avail but AI player melee units will attack the walls to get at the range units.
Even they are AI players or creeps, they won't attack walls @@

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A common trick is to give the walls 1 damage range attacks with very slow attack rate. This way they are known as towers. Or at least people in the past have had success with that.

Also they need to be owned by a computer player, not an empty slot as empty slot AI is pretty much as stupid as it gets.

Neutral Hostile has specially bad building attack priority. In fact in an old map I was making once the Neutral Hostile would completely ignore non-tower buildings despite standing right next to them and being hostile. They would happily sit around even though there were a ton of buildings to destroy.

Level 5
A common trick is to give the walls 1 damage range attacks with very slow attack rate. This way they are known as towers. Or at least people in the past have had success with that.

Also they need to be owned by a computer player, not an empty slot as empty slot AI is pretty much as stupid as it gets.

Neutral Hostile has specially bad building attack priority. In fact in an old map I was making once the Neutral Hostile would completely ignore non-tower buildings despite standing right next to them and being hostile. They would happily sit around even though there were a ton of buildings to destroy.

okay, tks u guys so much. The problem still there but better than the beginning.

Level 4
This is buggy and graphically unhidden and memory-leak inducing as all hell, but it does solve your problem - map attached. Build farms. Type "start" to make the enemy attack.

Basically only buildings directly impact the pathing map. I changed the farm pathing map to that of a circle of power, and changed the priest to have a collision size of 64 units. A priest is created whenever a farm is created, and a priest is destroyed whenever a farm is destroyed. When a unit attacks a priest, it is forced to attack a farm.

Needs more work to be used in an actual map. Also only works if farms (or other things coded to act as walls) are being used as blockers. I don't know if there is a simpler solution, such as waypointing unit attacks.

Note that if you build the farms too far up the ramp, the priest spawns in the wrong location and the system bugs out.

Attachments

• Pathing is annoying.w3x
    20.1 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.