• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Attack ability that applies its buff to all hit units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
So what I'm looking for is a proc ability (like orbs) that can be added to a unit and will always apply its buff to all units hit by that unit.

It should work with melee, ranged, and splash attacks.

I've tried Frost Breath, Item Cold Damage Bonus, Item Poison Damage Bonus, Melee Cold Damage Bonus, and Melee Poison Damage Bonus just to name a few.

Frost breath applied after the damage was dealt and only worked with ranged/splash attackers.

Item cold damage applied before damage was dealt (good), but didn't work with splash attackers (bad)

Poison was never applied and worked with only splash attackers (it ran on splash*, but melee/ranged reg showed nothing)

So yea, I've been searching and searching and have yet to find one.

If anyone here who is awesome with the Object Editor could help out, that'd be appreciated =).

Atm AdvDamageEvent is totally broken because I only tested the ability in it with a ranged splash attacker. When I tried it in a map, melee wasn't running.

Last edited:
Level 31
Damage isn't applied until after the damage event... just tested it : |. First the damage event runs, then the damage is applied.

Regular Damage-
1 damage event fires, buff applied before damage event

Missile Splash Damage
2 damage events fire for target unit
first damage event runs w/ dmg and w/o buff
second damage event runs w/ 0 damage and buff

2 damage event fires for rest of units
damage event runs w/ dmg and w/o buff
damage event runs w/ 0 damage and w/0 buff (wc3 bug??)

buff applied on rest of units on next period

Artillery Splash Damage
1 damage event fires
Buff applied to all units on next period

So this raises a few problems... you have to start a 0 second timer to catch all of the buffs for all possible attacks, but then you run into a problem with artillery attacks. Artillery attacks explode units, and to catch the buffs, you have to save the unit from dying before you know whether the unit will live or not. This means that artillery attacks will no longer be able to explode units as there is no good way to detect whether an attack was an artillery attack or not. Some work was done with attackground and ordering a unit to attack a tree, but that requires the unit's orders be interrupted, so they're not good solutions.

Now we run into another problem... if a unit has a non splash detection ability, the splash detection ability won't run.

Last edited:
Level 31
It's not building attackers, it's splash attacks ; P, and that's just one problem. The other is the timer problem, which isn't a problem by itself, but causes the no explode w/ artillery prob.

Actually, I just figured out how to detect artillery attacks!! : D

edit
AdvDamageEvent now totally works and is bug free =D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.