• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ashenvale ORPG

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Aesthetics
Note to moderator:
Not sure if BETA versions count as not ''ready to go,'' 3 classes are functional. The map can be played up to level 30ish. Map removal would say enough but I'm dying for some feedback.

Custom map made by The Virus and Smileynator.
All skins used (lost track of them) Are credited to there rightfully creators, they are sweet!

Features:
- Up to 10 players support (Sorry for the wrong map description)
- Up to level 150! (Up to level 30 in beta)
- At least 12 Hero's to choose from! (3 Hero's ''tweaked'')
- Recommended players: At least 2. (Map designed so it can not be done solo.)
- Each unit has 3 skills and one special. 45 levels of spell for normal skills, 15 for special! (Special is considered Emergency use only, therefor high on mana use. Set skills now, might be replaced later. Also: Balancing them is hard!)
- Tank classes have TAUNT. (Allowing them to take ''aggro'' as far as WC3 is concerned)
- Custom team quests. (Only 3 at this moment. More will come. Quests are shared for everyone and automatically delivered on completion.)
- Quest rewards! (Automatically gain bonus exp and money upon completion!)
- Lack of story! (This map still lacks story whatsoever.)
- Custom revival script! (Ever feel like resurrection of your hero takes FOREVER? Well this script currently takes about 30seconds of your death, and puts it to a bit of entertainment. Please do comment on it, since it is my ''solo'' project within the map. :3 )
- Huge loading times and download size! (Loading takes long because of a lot of custom spells. Any tips on how to ''shorten'' it? Comment! Also, The size is so HUGE because alot of tests inside the map, some unused skins, spells and scripts that simply stayed until we will use them, or remove them before it goes out of beta. Might try and sort it out soon.)

To come:
- At this moment we strive to get the map design done, Get mobs up to level 150 and based on them complete and adjust all hero skills and powers.
- We have the idea of ''dynamic area'' That generates an instance or questing place/mobs based upon your level. Meaning that some area's can be re-used. Or even just mobs can be added. Just to challenge the player in starting areas. Even when on a higher level.
- The famous LOAD and SAVE scripts. (Tutorial didn't work for me, Plan to do a simple system from scratch. If you want to break the code, you will eventually. Why bother making it TERRIBLY complex?)

Virus and I love open RPG maps, so we decided to make one of our own!
Please be open-minded because some humor in this map can be considered rude.

DO NOTE:
This map is a BETA. All things seen are open for changes in the future releases.
Suggestions/Bug reports will be taken at: [email protected]
DO NOT spam bug reports on tool-tip errors however. We are aware of them.
Since I personally tweaked 3 hero's for ''proper'' use (adjusting mana cost, skills, decent tooltips) we are now ready to do a beta! I really want to know what the public thinks this far. Are we basing too much on inside jokes? Are some things just terrible looking? Did we do anything obvious very wrong?
If you are not up to a few bugs, don't take this map till later releases.
Tweaked characters: Melee Tank, Melee DPS, Shaman Healer. (Note: Shaman healer ''serpent ward'' skill is bugged at the moment).

If I forgot to mention something, have questions? Comment! Bugs or Suggestions? Comment!
Lets hear what you guys think of 2 people who are "novices" at map making!

Want to see our TO DO list?
http://www.toodledo.com/views/public.php?id=td4d3c17af082d4
Note: Some stuff on the TO DO list is in Dutch, we can not always be bothered to translate, because content gets removed/added at a quick speed if were on it. However, most important stuff is in English for you to read. (Map is entirely in English!)

Keywords:
RPG ORPG Ashenvales ashenvale
Contents

Ashenvale ORPG (Map)

Reviews
01:54, 22nd Feb 2011 ap0calypse: Rejected Warning: do not multi-upload! See post #28 (another thread).
Level 12
Instead of being the typical user who yells at you to use BB code in your description I'll do it for you:

What it will look like
Note to moderator:
Not sure if BETA versions count as not ''ready to go,'' 3 classes are functional. The map can be played up to level 30ish. Map removal would say enough but I'm dying for some feedback.

Custom map made by The Virus and Smileynator.
All skins used (lost track of them) Are credited to there rightfully creators, they are sweet!

Leveling up to level 150! (Once done)

Virus and I love open RPG maps, so we decided to make one of our own!
Please be open-minded because some humor in this map can be considered rude.

DO NOTE:
This map is a BETA. All things seen are open for changes in the future releases.
Suggestions/Bug reports will be taken at: [email protected]
DO NOT spam bug reports on tool-tip errors however. We are aware of them.
Since I personally tweaked 3 hero's for ''proper'' use (adjusting mana cost, skills, decent tooltips) we are now ready to do a beta! I really want to know what the public things this far. Are we basing too much on inside jokes? Are some things just terrible looking? Did we do anything obviously very wrong?
If you are not up to a few bugs, don't take this map till later releases.
Tweaked characters: Melee Tank, Melee DPS, Shaman Healer. (Note: Shaman healer ''serpent ward'' skill is bugged at the moment).

If I forgot to mention something, have questions? Comment! Bugs or Suggestions? Comment!
Lets hear what you guys think of 2 people who are "novices" at map making!

Want to see our TO DO list?
http://www.toodledo.com/views/public.php?id=td4d3c17af082d4
Note: Some stuff is in Dutch, we can not always be bothered to translate. However, most important stuff is in English for you to read.
To use this you can open the .txt file I attached and copy paste it into the map description (I also fixed spelling/grammar errors for you, just bolds a couple important words).

Also, you stated that some of the stuff is in Dutch; maps uploaded to the Hive must be in 100% English.

Attachments

• Description.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 144
Level 16
Poor description, doesn't tell us much about the map; tell us more about the map, brief background story, heroes, items, add screenshots,etc. Here's a list of BB Codes to help you. You should instead just post the map at the Map Development Forums since it's going to be rejected in its current state. Also the entire map has to be fully in english.

Level 3
Thank you for the responses. I might as well take it to the development forums, Then again this is the feedback i needed either-way! The TODO list is ever changing. If your interested, you read it. If you mind my spelling or dutch in that TODO list then rather do not read it.

The map however is FULLY english. Not a word in any foreign language (excluding fantasy words and probably some elfish talk? Belore.. )

This map will most likely be removed, however next time i will supply some extra data.
I am sorry to tell you that the map, at its current point doesn't really have a story YET. Quests tell the NPC's story's for a bit. But for now this is all story related. We need some motivation on that i guess? Write some.. GOALS we want to meet once its done?

Question to the down-loaders specific: How was the little animation when you die?
Many thanks for the reply, And excuse my sometimes horrible english. It is 2:30 in the morning so that partially is the fault.

Edit: The bold text does make more sense. I often forget to make ''titles'' for my text.

Level 12
Poor description, doesn't tell us much about the map
The map's description is moderately decent enough, maybe even for approval. But this guy, being new and his lack of fluency in English, demonstrates decent effort (compared to the other newbies I've seen) into his map. Really.

Anyways, I would test and give a review but my internet is going through hell right now so I can't go on Battle.net and host a game.

Level 3
The map's description is moderately decent enough, maybe even for approval. But this guy, being new and his lack of fluency in English, demonstrates decent effort (compared to the other newbies I've seen) into his map. Really.

Anyways, I would test and give a review but my internet is going through hell right now so I can't go on Battle.net and host a game.

Excuse me for my ''not fluent english'' Speaking it goes better then spelling it. It just isn't my main language :)

And even so you cannot login to battle.net Hosting over Hamachi (Lan over the internet) Or even play alone for the time being would be great for feedback! (healing shaman i think can do the first 10 levels without TO much trouble for now Other classes just will not make it without the healing nor balanced spells.)

And about my map, this is team effort. As the map states it is created by me and a friend. He does map design, we both do the ideas, And i tweak and script most of it. Fixing bugs after each other.

As for the map itself i have a little update to tell about. Today he is in school and i will be at home after my driving lessons, and i will be sticking to balancing the hero's. We changed some hero skills around, cleaned some old stuff up and the map size is reduced to like 6 MB or less for now.
We fixed up some areas allowing for leveling higher, and for me to balance out level 30+ levels for hero's. I am also planning to add way more quests then it has now (check TO DO list above) And we designated some spots to carry elite mobs of sorts. For the fun of them :) So watch out that you do not get smacked by an elite along the way!

PS: Thanks for the support up to now, appreciated!

Level 3
It's just me or are you using WoW models in this map?

Yes, Some. I recall we used some trolls of Zul Aman(not sure) At this moment we removed them again since the WoW models are HUGE. as in over 2MB huge.
The only WoW skin that stayed in for now is a custom hunter skin, And a Ragnaros skin (yet to be used). Due to removal of some skins, We reduced map size back to 5MB. (Edit: Forgot to mention our lovely spirit healer!)

Unless i find a way (after starting my ict/game design education) to edit the warcraft models into smaller more ''WC3 friendly'' versions (less texture resolution, and way less polygons) We will stick to either (mostly) standard models.
Or we decide that when the map is ''finished'' (long time from now) We edit a MPQ file to load high detail models. But if we end up doing that. almost ALL models will be replaced by HD models (Since the MPQ download would be big, does it really matter if we add another 10MB while at it?)

Or lets hope that the 8mb map size limit gets broken someday. because its awe full for some people. Then again it MAKES us reduce sounds/images etc. to a proper size.

Last edited: