• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Ash Worm Base (Actor: Events)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi there,

In my previous thread this problem has been discussed already, yet unsolved. But as the title of that thread don't match the issue. I made this new thread.

I want to use the unit: Ash Worm in my game, but I ran into a few problems with this unit. When the unit has been created, also an Ash Worm Base is created (the lava pool beneath the worm). The problem is that the Ash Worm Base won't vanish after the death of the Ash Worm, so later in the game the map has many lava pools. Very innoying and ugly..

For some reason (I tried alot with the Actor events of the Ash Worm/Ash Worm Base/Ash Worm base Death) I cannot succeed in this.

When the Ash Worm uses it's ability: Ash Worm Burrow Move, it will burrow and move to the targeted location and unburrow on that location. And yes, the Ash Worm Base, burrows and unburrows with it. Perfectly, thats exactly how I want it. When the Ash Worm Dies, the lava pool (Ash Worm Base) will burrow and vanish, a nice animation. But I tried alot and it just dont go away.

I am no pro in these Actors and Event in the data module, in fact this is the first time using it. Othr things was working so far what I did with the Actor events, but this just wont..

I uploaded a few images of the following Actor events which I think they are responsible for everything connected to the Ash Worm or Ash Worm Base:

Ash Worm/Ash Worm Base/Ash Worm Base Death

These images are uploaded in thread: Base Worm Burrow Move

I hope someone who has got expertise in the Data Module (Actor Events) can help/show/tell me how to obtain I want.

Thanks in advance.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The actor causing your problems is the fittingly named "Ash Worm Base Death" actor.

Although ugly the simplest fix for it to disappear is changing it's animation bracket start action so that it "plays once".

A better fix would be something like this... Which nicely fades it an all.
Field Ash Worm Base Death
Events - Send (Create|AnimPlay Burrow Burrow 0 0.000000 0.000000 10.000000 AsDuration|Destroy)
Events - Target (||)
Events - Terms (UnitDeath.AshWorm|ActorCreation|AnimDone; AnimName Burrow)

In XML form (you can just paste this in)...
Code:
    <CActorModel id="AshWormBaseDeath">
        <On index="1" Terms="ActorCreation" Send="AnimPlay Burrow Burrow 0 0.000000 0.000000 10.000000 AsDuration"/>
        <On index="2" Terms="AnimDone; AnimName Burrow" Send="Destroy"/>
    </CActorModel>

Level 4
When I paste the XML in it.. It makes the following events, see picture..

I tested it.. And it really looks nice man.. I'm very happy that you helped me.. I almost gave this unit up, I'm glad I didnt..

Only, just another question.. As you can see in the image I uploaded, the text is in red.. I thought when you see the color red, something in it isn't correct.. Seems I am wrong as this is working.. But can you tell me why the text is turned to red??

Attachments

• Picca.png
    Picca.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 148

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
When I paste the XML in it.. It makes the following events, see picture..
Great, that is exactly what it should do!

I tested it.. And it really looks nice man.. I'm very happy that you helped me.. I almost gave this unit up, I'm glad I didnt..
SC2E is very powerful, you just need to know how to use it.

Only, just another question.. As you can see in the image I uploaded, the text is in red.. I thought when you see the color red, something in it isn't correct.. Seems I am wrong as this is working.. But can you tell me why the text is turned to red??
Not entirely sure but I think it is because the events are modifying default events in a destructive way (which is what we want in this case as the existing events are not at all helpful!). The red is more a warning that what you are doing may be inefficient from a data point of view, especially with things like unit actors where a deletion may require huge data shifts which produce a lot of XML. In any case it should make no difference to in-game performance out side of a small amount of load time (which any data adds to).

Level 4
SC2E is very powerful, you just need to know how to use it.

It's hard to understand without descriptions or guides. There are many good tutorials, but some things are limited.

Not entirely sure but I think it is because the events are modifying default events in a destructive way (which is what we want in this case as the existing events are not at all helpful!). The red is more a warning that what you are doing may be inefficient from a data point of view, especially with things like unit actors where a deletion may require huge data shifts which produce a lot of XML. In any case it should make no difference to in-game performance out side of a small amount of load time (which any data adds to).

Okay, that would make sense indeed. Anyway, thanks for the effort you put in to this. I'm very happy it's solved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.