1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

As it protects Model MDX / MDL edit?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by gldss, Aug 18, 2013.

1. gldss

gldss

Resources:
    Resources:
    only for preventing copyright.
    If some kind soul can help me i appreciate.

2. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    What do you mean? I'm not sure what your question is.

Are you trying to edit a model that someone has placed copyrights on? Or are you trying to copyright your own model?

3. gldss

gldss

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is not this.
    I am wanting to block it is not possible to edit it

4. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    True "protection" doesn't exist. You have to have it readable by Warcraft 3, so you are limited to the way they encrypt the MDX. Anyone with the MDX will be able to read it, unless you find a way that will crash editors but not crash the World Editor.

If you want to prevent people from editing it, then the most you can do is post "Do not edit without permission", or add a fake copyright ©--it might scare some people away.

5. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There are many ways actualy, but the best ways are still unknown. what does this mean? There are some structures of the MDX format which we know that exist but we don't know their correct format. This structures would be enough to crash any editor out there.

Some NeoDex models crash magos and mdlvis, but won't crash guests's converter.

6. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Yeah, put in a few weird material flags that aren't recognized by any thing except wc3 and it will crash most, if not all editors.

7. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    that won't crash them. Export a plane with two unwraps and I can asure you that magos and mdlvis will cry when they mess with your model.

There are three hidden MDL objects called "Sound", "Sound Emitter" and "Mesh". If we could find the format, we could just export them and make any editor cry like a bitch.

8. gldss

gldss

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you PurgeandFire, BlinkBoy, BallisticTerrain.

:cidea: You guys enlighten me.

Here in the hive there is a model IcyGhostShow that can not be opened in War3ModelEditor and MdlVis, when converted to toll the MdlxConv geosets disappear.

9. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    actualy guesst's converter did it right. The model has no Geosets. I checked it with a hex editor.

10. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why bother protecting your model if you're gonna release it for use of a free modding community? Some mappers might want to edit your model to remove this or add that to fit what they need for their map and they'll give proper credits anyway. If you don't want people editing your model then don't publish it online.

11. gldss

gldss

Resources:
    Resources:
    backing sonofjay

I thank you all. :thumbs_up:
    I'm working on a solo project of remastering interface warcraft III, so my concern copyright, I'm getting high resolutions interfade of warcraft III. helps are welcome. everything to our dear warcrfat III.

12. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Am I the only one or do other have problem in understanding you too?

13. infrenus

infrenus

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    So... if i got it.... you are trying to do a project of a remastered warcraft with better quality, and for some unknown reason wants to make the models not able to be edited on editors, but still usable on the game.

So... why bother making then protected?

14. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^Maybe he's for the open source movement?

15. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think he uses a web translator.

Anyways, the only case I think it's worth it to protect a model is for those big projects of total conversions where they don't want their models to be edited, or for people who actualy makes copyrighted material and allows wc3 mods to use his creations (professional artists). I could implement the protection to NeoDex but I fear it will be abused.

Another case is for models made specifically for a map, there's a kind of map protection which makes restoring texture paths very difficult, since they are not declared anywhere on the compressed map but in the model, the thing is that restoring the listfile is impossible if you don't know the paths. This protection is still breakable but it leaves 95% of the hackers aside. You could also confuse the hackers even more by encripting the paths, the game will just follow the path and try to open whatever file is there, the file does not need a .blp at end in the path actualy.

16. gldss

gldss

Resources:
    Resources:
    I use Power Translator Translator most times it translates correctly, I'm sorry if I am from another country and do not have how strong Inglês

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  17. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Try Google Translate. Your translator missed that last word :p

18. General Frank