• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

As it protects Model MDX / MDL edit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True "protection" doesn't exist. You have to have it readable by Warcraft 3, so you are limited to the way they encrypt the MDX. Anyone with the MDX will be able to read it, unless you find a way that will crash editors but not crash the World Editor.

If you want to prevent people from editing it, then the most you can do is post "Do not edit without permission", or add a fake copyright ©--it might scare some people away.

True "protection" doesn't exist. You have to have it readable by Warcraft 3, so you are limited to the way they encrypt the MDX. Anyone with the MDX will be able to read it, unless you find a way that will crash editors but not crash the World Editor.

If you want to prevent people from editing it, then the most you can do is post "Do not edit without permission", or add a fake copyright ©--it might scare some people away.

There are many ways actualy, but the best ways are still unknown. what does this mean? There are some structures of the MDX format which we know that exist but we don't know their correct format. This structures would be enough to crash any editor out there.

Some NeoDex models crash magos and mdlvis, but won't crash guests's converter.

Yeah, put in a few weird material flags that aren't recognized by any thing except wc3 and it will crash most, if not all editors.

that won't crash them. Export a plane with two unwraps and I can asure you that magos and mdlvis will cry when they mess with your model.

There are three hidden MDL objects called "Sound", "Sound Emitter" and "Mesh". If we could find the format, we could just export them and make any editor cry like a bitch.

Level 2
Thank you PurgeandFire, BlinkBoy, BallisticTerrain.

:cidea: You guys enlighten me.

Here in the hive there is a model IcyGhostShow that can not be opened in War3ModelEditor and MdlVis, when converted to toll the MdlxConv geosets disappear.

Level 2
Why bother protecting your model if you're gonna release it for use of a free modding community? Some mappers might want to edit your model to remove this or add that to fit what they need for their map and they'll give proper credits anyway. If you don't want people editing your model then don't publish it online.
backing sonofjay

I thank you all. :thumbs_up:
I'm working on a solo project of remastering interface warcraft III, so my concern copyright, I'm getting high resolutions interfade of warcraft III. helps are welcome. everything to our dear warcrfat III.

Am I the only one or do other have problem in understanding you too?

I think he uses a web translator.

Anyways, the only case I think it's worth it to protect a model is for those big projects of total conversions where they don't want their models to be edited, or for people who actualy makes copyrighted material and allows wc3 mods to use his creations (professional artists). I could implement the protection to NeoDex but I fear it will be abused.

Another case is for models made specifically for a map, there's a kind of map protection which makes restoring texture paths very difficult, since they are not declared anywhere on the compressed map but in the model, the thing is that restoring the listfile is impossible if you don't know the paths. This protection is still breakable but it leaves 95% of the hackers aside. You could also confuse the hackers even more by encripting the paths, the game will just follow the path and try to open whatever file is there, the file does not need a .blp at end in the path actualy.

Level 2
I use Power Translator Translator most times it translates correctly, I'm sorry if I am from another country and do not have how strong Inglês

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.