• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Armada 0.05

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Just a simple map in which fleets of ships battle against one another.

Ships are controlled by the arrow keys.
Camera angle is controlled by ordering the ship to move to a point.
Contents

Armada 0.05 (Map)

Level 26
Description is indeed important.
Usually I don't check the maps if their description is not sufficent, but I couldn't resist the Arrowkey movement.

It worked as intended, I'm sure, but the gameplay was sooo slow and frustrating, since it took a good 15 seconds to turn in the desired direction.
Additionally, colliding with land was buggy.

The terrain was looking pretty good! Humble and little decorated, but beatuiiful none the less. there is room for improvement, but it is not neccesary.

As it is now, it cannot be approved; The description and gameplay must be improved.

Level 7
Description is indeed important.
Usually I don't check the maps if their description is not sufficent, but I couldn't resist the Arrowkey movement.

It worked as intended, I'm sure, but the gameplay was sooo slow and frustrating, since it took a good 15 seconds to turn in the desired direction.
Additionally, colliding with land was buggy.

The terrain was looking pretty good! Humble and little decorated, but beatuiiful none the less. there is room for improvement, but it is not neccesary.

As it is now, it cannot be approved; The description and gameplay must be improved.

Thanks for the feedback!

I am trying to figure out proper combat mechanics with ships, eventually I would like to make a custom map based on these mechanics where you are some kind of pirate.

The reason I made it so slow is so that it feels as if boats have weight. if it were to turn as quickly as a car it might feel a little too arcade-y. Ofcourse gameplay over realism, if it makes ships frustrating to maneuver it's gotta go.

What kind of issues did you experience with collision? Did the movement of your ship start to stutter when you came close to a shore, or did you collide with something even though your ship was no where near the shore?

Level 26
The reason I made it so slow is so that it feels as if boats have weight. if it were to turn as quickly as a car it might feel a little too arcade-y.
I suspected that that was your intention, which was good, but didn't really cut it for the gameplay. I suggest you change it in some way so it is more comfortable to use.

Did the movement of your ship start to stutter when you came close to a shore
This happened.
I have been experimenting a lot with arrowkeys myself in my current project, and come up with a good solution for this problem, which you can check out if you wish. :)

Level 7
I suspected that that was your intention, which was good, but didn't really cut it for the gameplay. I suggest you change it in some way so it is more comfortable to use.

This happened.
I have been experimenting a lot with arrowkeys myself in my current project, and come up with a good solution for this problem, which you can check out if you wish. :)

Sure! You have any triggers I could take a look at?

Level 15
Would be nice if there were some abilities, upgrades or different ships, at the moment there are just two abilities to fire left and right, and they have a 10-second cooldown, and there's only one ship to choose from. Also, the camera could use a mechanism to make it tilt downwards to look farther away. And there is one more thing, although I don't know if it is a bug or if it's supposed to be like that - the enemy shipyard can recharge your mana too.