• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Arena Contests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Ok i know the Arena is still under construction, but when its fiannly up heres a few ideas for some contests I for one would like to see. The reason I'm making this thread is that everyone does contests like "best cinematic" or "best skinning job" and I think it would be cool if The Hive Workshop would do some original contests.

Contest 1:
Hero Contest - This would be a contest to see who could make the best hero. Custom models and skins are allowed (under the condition that full credits be given to the author), but have no impact on the final judging whatsoever. Here is what the judges would be looking for:

......A - Balance_ How well are the hero's abilities balanced out with each other? IMPORTANT: The judges are not seeing how well balanced the hero is with other Warcraft III heros; they are making sure the hero is balaned out with each other and Warcraft III units.
......B - Fun_ How fun is the hero to use? Could he have been funner with different abilities? Were the abilities on the hero fun to use?
......C - Abilities_ How were the abilities made? Were they triggered? Were they new and original? (If it is found out that any of the abilities were downloaded from another site the hero is immediatly disqualified, even if credits were given to the creator of the ability).
......D - Originality_ How original is this hero? What about new systems for working the hero? (These could include new ways of controling the hero, new ways of making the hero's stats work together, new ways of leveling the hero etc.)

If this contest is accepted I was hoping to make a test map for the contestants to put their hero on. This test map would consist of 1 lane and two bases. Units would spawn at each base and attack each other (An aos basicly). This map would be put up for download and all contestants would be required to make their hero on that map and then re-submit it for the contest. Players would not be allowed to mess with the maps pre-made terrain, units or triggers. They can only add their hero and anything that goes with the hero into the map.

Contest 2:
System Contest - This would be a contest to see who could make the best system. This can be anything from an RPG system, to a new Combat System for Warcraft. Third party programs are allowed for the creation of this, but full credits must be given to the creator of the third party program. Here is what the judges would be looking for:

......A - Innovation_ Does this system take Warcraft to a "whole new level"? Does it add many new features we Warcraft users have never seen before (Example: Maybe when an undead unit dies it could burn like its body is being obliterated, but when a night elf unit dies the moon could shine down on it and lift it up to the sky whith the goddess).
......B - Originality_ Is this a new system no ones seen before, or is it just another crappy rpg system?
......C - Smoothness_ Did the system run smoothly? We don't want to see a system that moves units around (like in a knockback effect) choppily, or adds new cameras that dont move and change smooth.
......D - Triggering_ How well was the triggering? Where the triggers well made and well executed? Were there any memory leaks?
......E - Lag_ Did this system cause lots of lag, or was it lag free?
......F - Eye Candy_ Did this system add any special effects that were cool to watch?

This contest would require that players make their own map to put it on. The system would not be judged by the player's terraining skills, but would be judged by how well the system works with different terrain types. The player's entry map would require the terrain to have water, solid ground, cliffs, hills and trees in vast enough areas for the system to be tested in each one.

Contest 3: (This has been done before, but not often)
Terraining Contest: This would be a contest of who can make the best terrain. Players may choose from any tileset (or can use the "Custom Tileset" function in the WE) to make the coolest terrain. The terrain can be on any size map as long as it is equal to or below 128*128. Custom models, textures and third party programs are not allowed, the players must use only what is already in the World Editor. The terrain will be looked at from the default camera, so make the terrain look good for the default camera (dont worry about us zooming around and saying "Hey, that waterfall comes out from the cliff to much. Negate 3 points from his score." As long as it looks good from the camera at its original height it gets a good score). Here is what the judges would be looking for:

......A - Eye Candy_ Obviously, how good did the map look?

Contest 4 (From contest 3):
For this contest the winning entry from contest 3 will be put up for download. Players who wish to join this contest must download the terrain map from contest 3 and make the coolest map they can out of it without altering the terrain one smidgen. It is required that in the begining of the map a message shows that says "Terraining by: (winner of contest 3)".

Here is what the judges would be looking for:

......A - How well does the map use the terrain_ Just that, how well does the map use the terrain from contest 3?
......B - Originality_ Is this a new style of map (or does it add many new features to existing genres), or is it the same old crap?
......C - Triggering_ How well was the triggering? Where the triggers well made and well executed? Were there any memory leaks?
......D - Lag_ Was the map lag free?
......F - Eye Candy_ As always, if you add effects into this map (such as custom spells) that look really cool it will increase your chances of winning significantly.

Contest 5:
Screenshot contest: Who can give us the best screenshot? It can be anything from a huge battle sequence, to a screenshot of some amazing terrain, to a screenshot of your favorite custom model (that you made) or ability (that you made). No custom models, textures or third party programs are allowed. This would also be a contest were instead of getting judged by the moderators alone, you would also be judged by your peers. Players would respond to the thread saying their top 3 picks for best screenshot. Their number 1 pick would be the equivalent of 3 points, their number 2 would be the equivelant of 2 points and their number 3 would be the equivalent of 1 point. The scores would be added up and then the moderators would vote. The moderators number 1 pick would be worth 6 points, number 2 pick would be worth 4 points and their number 3 pick worth 2 points. Whoever's screenshot gets the most points wins. Also, players (not moderators) would have to explain why they were voting for each screenshot.

Contest 6:
A map making contest. Thats it, just a simple run of the mills map making contest where the objective is to make the best map. But this one has 1 large difference; no triggered abilities! I'd love to see what people can and will do without being allowed to trigger the abilities (I myself always trigger abilities). Any map type is allowed, but there will not be a winner for each category, just an overal winner. Also, this wouldn't be a map contest on nearly the scale of the one Bob hosted a few months ago. All maps that are submitted for this contest must be made for this contest. Any offenses will result in all maps entered by that contestant being disqualified.
I think this is such a cool idea for a contest that I'd like to join it myself!
......A - Terrain_ How good is the terrain in this map? Does it fit the map's theme?
......B - Originality_ Is this a new style of map (or does it add many new features to existing genres), or is it the same old crap?
......C - Triggering_ How well was the triggering? Where the triggers well made and well executed? Were there any memory leaks?
......D - Lag_ Was the map lag free?
......F - Eye Candy_ As always, if you add effects into this map (such as custom spells) that look really cool it will increase your chances of winning significantly.
.....G - Balance_ How well were the units/heros balanced?

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Sounds good, i like it :)
I will take your suggestion into consideration.
(Sounds like you're up for a contest jugde position)

If the moderators dont mind this thread, I was hoping to add more contests onto it as i think of them. Can't wait for the arena to be finished!
Feel free to come up with ideas, and dont worry the arena are soon finnished.
All we need are a prize system (which allows us to reward members with a prize icon) and contest jugdes (general jugdes for furthermore contests).

For now, we only have rep to reward members with.
But it seems like it's good enough as a tempoary replacement.

Level 24
/bump
So, any comments on whether or not you guys think these are good contests or not? think they will be used? Oh, and any idea whose going to be the arena judges?

Well I for one think that the judges should be simply the admins, mods and anyone who is excelent at that area. (So the judges will be different for each contest, depending on who is good in that area).

As for the contests, there mostly pretty good except the hero making one is a common one that sites have, so we should use one of the other ideas.

As for this prize system Archian, I have given links to rasmus for several award mods, but all of them were for an earlier version of vB. But what I think we should simply do for now is create a sticky thread in the arena with a list of all the winners and what contest they won.

Level 24
Yea, well the Music Clip Contest isn't going to well, and by the looks of it people like these ideas alot, so we might host one of them contests next, depending on what is said about Archian's skinning contest.

And I thought that the maping contest wouldn't be that hard, but now I just relized how much I use triggered spells :p

Level 5
-I've got a cool idea for a contest.
-Theme: Video game character model contest. I selected this theme because its a theme rarely seen in Warcraft III modeling, yet its one with potential for some really cool models. Video game based models are in high demand for map makers as well, so if this contest is successful, it will provide a huge service to the modding community as a whole and increase the site's reputation along with it. I will not judge or participate. (Except maybe as a helper under category 2 of the scoring.)
-Needed posistions: Judges (preferably 3). Participants (preferably 4).
-Divisions: There are several divisions, each based on a certain genera.
1. Action: Games that typically have lots of real time platforming or heavy combat. Example series: Mega Man, Contra, Sonic, Mario.
2. Adventure: Don't really know how to describe this genera except there's lots of exploration, puzzle solving, and some combat. Example series: Legend of Zelda, Myst, Day of the Tentacle.
3. RPG: Long epic quest, gain experience, often times with a party. There is also the action-RPG sub group. Example Series: Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Tales, Castlevania (Symphony of the Night and games after it.)
4. Strategy: Self explanitory. Either turn based or Real Time. Examples: Dune, Command and Conquer, War Hammer 40k.
5. Rythym: Play according to the beat. Example Series: Guitar Hero.
6. FPS. Example Series: Halo, Doom, Pain Killer.
There are others that I may have forgotten.
-Rules: 1. All model styles are welcome. The most important thing is that it looks and works nice in-game. This is a contest for all skill levels.
2. One entry per genre per person. If you made a model for an action game, you can enter another if its not from an action game.
3. No models from Blizzard games. We have tons of stuff like that already.
4. You may not use games that come from another license (game based on a movie, TV show, toy, etc). Characters that would break this rule: Goku, King Kong, etc. Exception: Characters made specifically for the game are allowed. Examples: HK-47, guys from Organization XIII, etc.
-Scoring: Competition divisions are based on genera. (Action game models won't compete with RPG models.) However, there will be a overall best model competition. If anyone wants to judge, we should also think up special awards, such as for high origininality or something like that. Scoring (weights assigned by judges) will be in several categories.
1. Overall construction quality: How nice does it look in-game? Are there any structural problems? (bugs or something like it).
2. Likeness: How well does the model resemble the character its based on?
3. Efficiency: How efficient is the model's use of polygons? Does it have way too many to be effectively used in a map? (Should be judged relative to the likely difficulty of the character in terms of polys.)
4. The outer coat: How nice is the skin? Some models that would theoretically be great wind up being average because the skin isn't very good.
5. Effort: Does the model look like a hack job, or does it look like a lot of time and effort was put into its creation.
6. Ease of use: How easy is the model to implement into a map?
-Good luck to all participants and most importantly, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.