• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Area of Effect Ability base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm running into problems when trying to make a new AoE hero ability. Does anyone know any base abilities that isn't Blizzard? Blizzard doesn't work because it puts the hero through a channeling animation and they don't carry out other actions.

Also is there anyway you could create a lightning effect attached to a point on the hero's model and not just his position?

Level 25
The Channel ability (found under hero category) is ability made for triggered spells. It can be single-target ability (requires target), AoE ability (has targeting image) or non-target ability (like starfall, etc.), it just depends on the fields you use and check in this ability.

Anyway what you could do is make a dummy ability that is given to the hero. When hero uses this ability, you create dummy unit a make the dummy unit cast the actual spell at the targeted location.
That would be the simplest way, else you would need to trigger it a bit more.

You cannot create lightning attached to unit. You can only create lightning at a point and you can change values for its X, Y and Z axis.
In maps, the lightning effect that you see attached to unit is actually a lightning that has its point actualized every 0,03 seconds.

Level 1
I'm running into problems when trying to make a new AoE hero ability. Does anyone know any base abilities that isn't Blizzard? Blizzard doesn't work because it puts the hero through a channeling animation and they don't carry out other actions.

Also is there anyway you could create a lightning effect attached to a point on the hero's model and not just his position?

I usually use "dispel" with no targets to make AoE spells.
To atach effects to units, create dummy rune-items(area of effect healing), create them and give to the affected units. Did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.