• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Apple Iphone 4 vs Samsung S3 - Best Option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey guys.

For once in a while I'm making a post and eventually it's about opinions.
I am planning to buy a new smartphone. However, I'm not certain what I should buy.

I always wanted to get me an Iphone but now that I heard other things from my friends I doubt if I'd take it.
Eventually, they recommended to get the Samsung S3.
My question is, what would you recommend and why?

The apple Iphone 4 or the Samsung S3?
Please motivate your choice.
It would help me a lot since they both are expensive.

Thanks!

Level 3
Of course S3, why? It's SAMSUNG. Quality, Design, Specs and etc. Well Iphone is cool too, but iOS for fa**ots. Got S4 at the moment and it is amazing.

Shut up if you have nothing useful to say sir.
Seconded. In these dark times, people lack the ability to read, or they are just plain dumb and rude, ignoring your initial request.

Anywho, this comes down to personal taste. Tons of phones outrun iPhones these days in some ways, yet this does not influence a buyer's attitude or intention.
An iPhone seems to be a status symbol, more than anything else.

Out of the past generations, the iPhone 4 is said to be the most "stable and "attractive".
I can neither prove nor refute those statements, as I have never owned one myself.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 (or S4) seems to be an iPhones biggest rival so far. Its statistics and abilities turn it into what it is. Not looks. Not the brand.
Additionally, being an Android device, you can pick from a vast variety of applications. Always a pro, in my book.

If you want to make a solid decision, you want to look into the technical details and statistics of these phones.
Otherwise, follow your own taste.

Personally, I'd go for an iPhone, because:
  • I haven't owned one so far.
  • I always experienced their touchscreens to be superb.
  • S Galaxy S3 or S4 feature huge screens... I want something that fits in my pocket in a comfortable way while maintaining an acceptable degree of operability.
  • It would be something different (so far, I had two smartphones, both being Android devices).
The only downside for me would be the lack of customizability (well, and the price, of course, but both the S3 and iPhone 4 are similar in that regard).
Android devices offer tremendous freedom (tons of apps, personally loving those that edit the layout of homescreens and whatnot in particular). As far as I know, Apple's OS can't keep up with that (or they decide to just don't).

Level 34
I prefer the design of most Android phones. I've been using an HTC One S and I prefer it over the iPhone. While I have never owned an iPhone, I have obviously used them frequently as pretty much half of the population has them.

I prefer the larger screen and the slimmer design the most. As far as OS goes, I don't really think there is that much of a difference. I would say that Androids have more issues than iOS, but it's not enough to make me want to switch.

Level 21
Okay, I will list you reasons for both to buy or not buy (as a note, I hate that stuff about "this looks so pretty, me wants pretty", I am a guy for functional stuff)

Iphone 5

Pros:
  • Small, fits in a pocket
  • Tight Interface
  • "Good Looking"-Style
  • Apple Store is good, because of heavy quality control

Cons:
  • No possibility for an SD Card
  • Nearly impossible to flash and put a different OS on it
  • Apple App Store is very limited in numbers of apps
  • Technological very limited with low specs

Samsung Galaxy S3

Pros:
  • High-End Tech Specs (Quadcore CPU, huge RAM etc)
  • Sleak Design, simplistic but useage oriented
  • Everything can be changed, from OS to even flashing or hacking the phone
  • Huge Display
  • Extremely large App Store (much larger APP store as Apple has)
  • SD Card possibility

Cons:
  • Not as "beautiful" as Iphone
  • Many garbage apps, because not as much quality control
  • Short Life Span in terms of battery
  • A bit chunkier

Level 19
Well it appears that the Iphone got a really hard hit with business.
I am looking for a phone which has a good performance. Which I can use for browsing and watch some videos on.

I think that I'll lock out Iphone from buying and check for something else.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is however so huge that I'm not sure it would fit into my pocket lol.

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate them a lot.

Level 4
iPhone, as far as I know, is pretty selfish (I think it goes out to the whole company) and doesn't really share much things as other phones do (I believe it has no bluetooth or something; correct me if I'm wrong) and pretty much just like a normal phone but with a status booster as said before. But don't get me wrong, they're good, but personally I like Sony XPeria's (I want to get my hands on one really bad) as they are of great quality in both sound and video qualities (which is almost all of what I want and need), decent in battery life, and I've heard of one Sony XPeria (I think it's Acro) that is nearly indestructible (it was shown to be buried in watered sand, hosed by a firetruck, ran over by a car, thrown away as hard as possible, thrown in a swimming pool) and still the touchscreen works as well as any other normal phone would work before getting smacked.

There goes my opinion. Not advertising or anything, but take a look at Sony XPeria's too. They're pretty damn good for me.

Level 16
An Iphone is more expensive for less specs. Iphones are also way behind on their software. Wasn't a marketing campagin for the Iphone 4 or 5 introducing adobe flash player? WTF? Flash player is old as shit and here Apple is introducing it as something new. Apple is way behind on their products.

Theres also no USB port on an Iphone. You need an apple charger for it. Apple just likes to makes its own world and make people revolve around it. Why no USB charger port? And why did the Iphone 5 change the charger port anyway? So Iphone 4 chargers don't work on them? Was there any reason other than to make their old product obsolete? Geez, I'm going to make myself sick.

However Iphones feature a simplistic operating system. Although this is more restrictive, it is ideal for people with limited knowledge of phones, etc.

Iphones are a fashion trend. Everybody has them. They have effective marketting campaigns to promote their product. The popularity and talk about them blinds you from the simple fact that they are not worth the money.

Level 16
iPhone would be better if you have a simpler lifestyle, if you don't want to have tons of settings, and just care about using your phone to have fun. Its like everything has been set up to be sleek and comfy for you. there is not much customization option because of its design nature.

Samsung on the other hand, is very difficult to handle, you can customize almost anything, you have to spend more time to bring out its potential, which is by far a lot more powerful than iPhone. the Android is fully open source, and you are allowed to change anything at your own risk, it is designed to be mod-able as its nature.

I have both for some times, and both has its enjoyable sides, it depends on your preferences ultimately. the only thing i hate about both phones are its battery life, which is extremely short even in low settings (About 1 to 1.5 days if unused).

Samsung app store is much more diverse, you can find almost anything due to lack of quality control, this however, has both downside and upside off it, sometimes you ended up with useless and junk apps, while sometimes you land on a gold mine, I enjoy playing Ragnarok Online on my Samsung phone, and having Linux on it to play with.

The other thing i hate about apple product is its compatibility and its dependance on iTunes.

Connecting to your computer? Please install a 5 GB iTunes to transfer a mere image from your PC to your phone!.

while Samsung does not need any installations, simply plug in your device to the PC, and voila!.

I love Samsung's file manager, it allows me to see into the root files, while Apple product tend to try to conceal its stuffs from public view.
You could mod your Apple, but its extremely hectic.

But as i said, this depends on your preference, you might not be the type to love spending time customizing your phone, and looking deep into its OS files.

Status
Not open for further replies.