• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Apocalypse Tag Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
because lack of comment in my map development thread, so i post my WIP, terrain of my map -- apocalypse tag

it's cathedral, the spawn place for apocalypsor

!note! : ignore the sky and fog, it's WIP and i will fix it asap

keren2.jpg

keren3.jpg

keren1.jpg

feel free to comment and critic

Last edited:
Level 9
Urg. Awful work with tiles for starts. If it's a cathedral, it all should look like one, not just "it has benches in two rows and something in the front". What about columns? Windows with nice glass puzzle-pictures? You could "apocalyptisise" all of them - break the columns, leave the rubble everywhere, shatter the windows... What pictures are doing in the cathedral? Tiles, as again mentioned, are way too plain, you could at least have done something with the "tile" doodads from UTM, since you snitch benches and candles and other stuff anyway. The only thing that are good here is lava glow.

Level 6
Urg. Awful work with tiles for starts. If it's a cathedral, it all should look like one, not just "it has benches in two rows and something in the front". What about columns? Windows with nice glass puzzle-pictures? You could "apocalyptisise" all of them - break the columns, leave the rubble everywhere, shatter the windows... What pictures are doing in the cathedral? Tiles, as again mentioned, are way too plain, you could at least have done something with the "tile" doodads from UTM, since you snitch benches and candles and other stuff anyway. The only thing that are good here is lava glow.

hmm.. i see.. will remake something that make "apocalyptisise" sense. for tile maybe i will use custom skin. will update soon.

thnx for feedback

Level 13
It's nice to see some1 made lava like i've made.
I guess you have read my Great Mine thread.

But yeah, that lava just doesn't fit in that place. Everything is just so teal (fog perhaps?). For that kind of colors i suggest you to make flood or something to there.

And what are those Balin's tombs doing there? they just doesn't fit. try using UTM tile doodads or if you must use moria doodads use pillars. Those castle walls are lil' to low and they don't fit. I suggest if you try those Misha's and 67chrome's indoor walls? (Link for those) Try to add some misc stuff there. Like high bookshelfes and that kind of stuff.

Also make some tile varitation there and if you want to get that apocalptic feeling, i suggest to add those rubbles every where. Also if you make that place non-flat, i guess it will be good thing too.

hmm.. piwlady, i'm pretty sure that naze was first on using those glow models with lava (in this pic: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/terrain-board-267/39967d1223774386-nazes-terrain-showcase-burning-land-edited.jpg).
Your mine terrain is great though.

About the terrain, first of all, i'd say you've got to define a colour scale.
Right now, you are mixing cold blue, warm red, and a pretty vivid green together with that brownish stuff.
I'd say, pick doodads that fit together, browse among the collumns in the UTM, and try to match most colours. If they doodad is nice but the colour is wrong, try giving it a slight tint.
Red is ofcourse the natural colour for lava, but it also gives a shine onto nearby surfaces - something that the glow is supposed to provide. Therefore it just looks awful having that contrasting green right next to it. You could have a dark, blackish soot-like tile in the immediate areas around the lava for a nice effect, but that is not neccesary when you're dealing with stone tiles.
Also, try looking at images of some real cathedrals; they oftenly have arches along the sides with collumns inbetween like in this shot:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/267/d/b/Abandoned_Gothic_Cathedral_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg

Level 6
hmm.. piwlady, i'm pretty sure that naze was first on using those glow models with lava (in this pic: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/terrain-board-267/39967d1223774386-nazes-terrain-showcase-burning-land-edited.jpg).
Your mine terrain is great though.

About the terrain, first of all, i'd say you've got to define a colour scale.
Right now, you are mixing cold blue, warm red, and a pretty vivid green together with that brownish stuff.
I'd say, pick doodads that fit together, browse among the collumns in the UTM, and try to match most colours. If they doodad is nice but the colour is wrong, try giving it a slight tint.
Red is ofcourse the natural colour for lava, but it also gives a shine onto nearby surfaces - something that the glow is supposed to provide. Therefore it just looks awful having that contrasting green right next to it. You could have a dark, blackish soot-like tile in the immediate areas around the lava for a nice effect, but that is not neccesary when you're dealing with stone tiles.
Also, try looking at images of some real cathedrals; they oftenly have arches along the sides with collumns inbetween like in this shot:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/267/d/b/Abandoned_Gothic_Cathedral_by_I_NetGraFX.jpg

so inspiring.. thnx. maybe i will remake this from zero

Status
Not open for further replies.