• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anything like MakeMeHost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I didn't really know where to post this, so if it's in the wrong place, it's an accident.

I was wondering if there were any other public game hosting sites such as MakeMeHost, I couldn't find any on the internet via search.

Thanks in advanced

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The reason you cannot host is you are likely behind a NAT. NATs are horrible things as far as network architecture goes as there is no way to specify where traffic should go as all systems past the NAT appear as 1 machine.

Fortunately the wide spread deployment of NATs means that a multi-hundred page protocol was developed to help resolve and manage traffic past a NAT. Unfortunately this was either developed after WC3 was or was too costly to implement when they were developing WC3. Thus why modern file sharing clients work without any manual effort required while WC3 does not even though they both need the same sort of data transfers.

How you host in WC3 is to tell the NAT that all packets of a certain traffic type coming to the appropriate port (configured in WC3 options) are to be sent to your machines local IP address. This removes the ambiguity of the transmission and thus allows successful connections to be made.

Alternatively future games will use IPv6 which will not have this problem as there is no need for NATs in the network architecture.

Until then I advise reading the user manual of your NAT and seeing how to forward packets. This is usually done under the firewall properties.

NAT = Network Address Translator

NATs are needed with IPv4 due to the lack of available addresses. There are more computers on the internet than there are IPv4 addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.