• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Anyone Else Find the SC2 Editor Needlessly Complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Having played around with the editor for a while now, I can see that it's just way too complicated. I can see how they are trying to link everything together and all, but some of the menus are just plain dumb. Just to try and do something as simple as creating an ability or unit has you jumping between Behaviours and Units and Actors, etc etc. The whole actor thing really annoys me too -_-

*sigh* why couldn't they have expanded the functionality and kept the WC3 editor simplicity? Hopefully it won't be this bad after I get used to it....

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Just because the tool is beyond most people does not mean they should dumb it down, people just need to become smarter to use the tool.

I do agree that some aspects of the data editor and trigger editor are poorly designed. Like the reference window not showing references of references and the trigger editor losing window position all the time you deselect apiece of code or undo/redo.

Level 3
I fully agree to Zaraf

Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of complex ideas, but there's still a clear difference between complex and complicated.

Most things in the editor are easy to understand, what it lacks is clarity and convenience.

Some of the new changes require more work-time, yet provide insufficient improvements, especially compared to other editors. Maybe that's why Starcraft 2 took so long to finish.

Level 4
When I say needlessly complicated, I mean that they could have set things up to be MUCH simpler, and still kept the features they added in. I feel they just handled the whole design and interface of the data editor in a very poor manner.

I should clarify that I only really have an issue with the data editor. The trigger editor I have no quarrels with and I think it's made decent enough. I haven't done anything with the AI editor, so I can't comment on that.

Level 19

Lets think about a MMO for a second

sure, 1 click of a button and your hero is fully customized but 10 options + 50 choices per option + nice little navigation arrows. A baby wont be able to do it, but people can. Same thing applies to the editor. Besides, if you dont like it, stop making flaming threads and go back to the world editor. But yeah, its built for customization not ease of access and user-friendliness lol

The data editor has about 5 different layout options, you dont HAVE to use the default one lol

Level 4
Ahh ok thanks

I had my editor default to the Table view, and the non-table view is kind of interesting. Has everything somewhat self explanatory. Will have to explore that a bit more.

Level 3
The editor seems like buying a car that goes 20mph faster, but at the cost of having it's steering wheel replaced with the console of a VTOL harrier aircraft.

I am not saying the editor is hard to understand or hard to use, i say it cannot be denied that it wastes a lot more time than necessary - which is the worst for an editor.

Over-simplifying is a bad thing, but over-complicating is just as bad. I like neutrality :)

Level 10
Giving a big "FU" to the elitist jerkoffs, it is needlessly complicated.

Stop being high and mighty.

What is wrong with making things NOT a block of semi-organized crap? I will never understand why blizzard insists on using this method, it should be updated.

The only reason it is the way it is, is because they don't want to make it pretty; there is no other way to say it. I am not sure why they make it annoying and confusing, but they do.

Blehh

Status
Not open for further replies.