• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Any help with a few rogue type abilities? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Alright, I suppose I could be considered a newbie ability / spell creator since all I really know how to do is copy and modify old spells / abilities in the object editor.

Anyway, I would just like to explain what I am trying to do and have someone tell me if its actually possible and maybe some tips about the best way to go about accomplishing it.

I am creating a rogue type character and I have certain abilities I would like to grant him. The first is probably the most difficult... "Sneak Attack". In theory I would like the "Sneak Attack" ability to first have a 6 second casting time. Once finished the rogue then fades invisible and has their movement penalized (they are "sneaking" arnt they?). Kinda like a reversed wind walk. Now, like wind walk I want the next attack the rogue does to do extra damage. I dont want it to be a static damage boost however (i.e. +100 to damage), I would like it to be dynamic like Critical Strike (i.e. 2 times normal damage). It would also be a bonus to be able to add a custom sound for that attack and have the red rising critical strike like display of damage, though those would be icing on the cake.

The final ability would be a temporary evasion (i.e. demon hunter) skill.

Any help would be much appreciated... If you feel its too noobish of a question please at least link me to some ability/spell guides that would help me figure out how to accomplish these tasks (if they are even possible).

Level 7
in object editor, set "casting time" to 6
then go to "file" -----> "preferences" -----> "gneral" -----> "allow negative real values in the object editor"
now u can set the "movement speed increase" (in the object editor) to a negative value, e.g -0.5
(this means that the movement speed decreases to 1/2) and set the "backstab damage" to 0

i forgot: create a new ability based on the windwalk ability, then do the steps described above

Level 7
for ultimative, u have to use triggers:
first create an untargeted dummy spell, then an ability based on "evasion" and at last a unit variable
Code:
event: generic unit event - unit casts an ability
condition: ability being cast equal to "dummy spell"
action: variable - set "unit variable" = triggering unit
         unit - add ability "your evasion" to "unit variable"
         wait x seconds (x= duration of your ability)
         unit - remove "your evasion" from "unit variable"

this should work but shows no graphik. u could use the "specialeffect" functions to add some.

p.s.: make sure that your "evasion" is a unit ability

Level 1
RaZoR said:
in object editor, set "casting time" to 6
then go to "file" -----> "preferences" -----> "gneral" -----> "allow negative real values in the object editor"
now u can set the "movement speed increase" (in the object editor) to a negative value, e.g -0.5
(this means that the movement speed decreases to 1/2) and set the "backstab damage" to 0

i forgot: create a new ability based on the windwalk ability, then do the steps described above

Thank you... yeah this helps me out a bit... I had already created my ability based on wind walker and tried negative values. I figured it didnt accept them but you helped me out there. I still would like to know if its possible to make the next hit a times modifier (like critical strike) and add sound to it. Also, is there any way to make the character go into a casting animation while its being cast? as it is now, after I hit the button the hero simply stands there.

Level 7
sorry seija, yesterday wasn't my day, so i forgot to tell u how to add the damage.

like the ultimate, u have to use triggers. but first create 3 own "critical strike" spells (make sure they are unit abilitys) with the objekt editor and set "chance to critical strike" to "100". Create two variables (a unit variable and a real variable).

then use triggers:
Code:
event: generic unit event - unit learns an ability
condition: skill comparison - ability being learned equal to "your windwalk"
action: variable - set "realvariable" = "realvariable" + 1
u have to do this because windwalk has more than one lvl. this trigger is important if the ability should be better with each lvl learned

then create another trigger (the "effect" trigger) :
Code:
event: generic unit event - unit casts an abilty
condition: ability comparison - ability being cast equal to "yourwindwalk"
action: variable - set "unitvariable" = triggering unit
animation (here's your requested cast animation :wink: ) - play "unitvariable"'s "spell" animation
wait x seconds(x should match with the castng time in the object editor)
animation - reset "unitvariable"'s animation
if/then/else multiple function
    condition: real comparison - "realvariable" = 1
    action: unit - add "your1.criticalstrike" to "unitvariable"
    condition: real comparison - "realvariable" = 2
    action: unit - add "your2.criticalstrike" to "unitvariable"
    condition: real comparison - "realvariable" = 3
    action: unit - add "your3.criticalstrike" to "unitvariable"
wait y seconds (y should be the duration of your windwalk)
unit -  remove "your1.criticalstrike" from "unitvariable"
unit -  remove "your2.criticalstrike" from "unitvariable"
unit -  remove "your3.criticalstrike" from "unitvariable"
p.s.: the blademaster has no "spell" animation, u have to use another one instead
but what would happen if your unit attacks before the y seconds are over? your unit would keep the "critical strike". so u need a third trigger:
Code:
event: generic unit event - a unit is attacked
condition: unit comparison - attacking unit equal to "unitvariable"
action: wait 0.5 seconds
unit -  remove "your1.criticalstrike" from "unitvariable"
unit -  remove "your2.criticalstrike" from "unitvariable"
unit -  remove "your3.criticalstrike" from "unitvariable"
so, that should work

Level 1
Ah! thank you for your very informative replies. I now think I can do a myriad of quite complicated abilities on my own now because of it :D. Anyway, there is one slight problem I noticed, though its not really a problem. the "Back Stab" that results from breaking "Wind Walk" doesnt stack with Critical Strike. So I simply set the "Wait" after a unit is attacked to 2 seconds so that its really the second attack that does the "Sneak Attack" (critical) damage. Anyway, thanks... cant wait to start making more abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.