• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Anime] The place promised in our early days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey guys, I know I'm 5 years delayed but I just got into anime (sort of) just recently. Anime never appealed to me but after watching the anime movie "The Place Promised in Our Early Days", that changed. :wink:

Anyway, what did you guys think about that movie if you've seen it?
If you haven't, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? It's really good.

Basically, there are these 2 guys (Hiroki Fujisawa and Takuya Shirakawa) and a girl (Sayuri Sawatari) who are in their teen years (nearly at the "young adult" age). The 2 guys were best friends with each other and had no one else, they develop a deep friendship with the girl. The 2 boys were also building a small two seat plane (which they started on before meeting Sayuri, I think). On the last day before spring break, one of Sayuri's friends, named Kana Matsuura confesses her attraction towards Takuya however he declines, Takuya then suggests that Hiroki should date Kana but Takuya declines because he is actually romantically attracted to Sakuri. The 3 teens (Hiroki, Takuya and Sayuri) promise each other that they will fly to the really tall tower (the Hokkaido Tower) across the sea (This is the promise, the promise they made in their early days to visit the land where the tower was). It's so tall that they could see it from other cities and areas far away. Before they do this, Sayuri mysteriously disappears without a word :cry: .

Three years later, the 2 boys stopped working on the plane due to the fact that they took different paths because of the grief that the disappearance of Sayuri caused them. Still in highschool, Takuya is working as a physicist due to his amazing intelligence.
Takuya and his co-workers find out that the Hokkaido Tower replaces matter within a 2km radius with matter from a parallel universe. Sayuri is then revealed to have been hospitalized over the past 3 years having an extreme case of narcolepsy which had her sleeping continuously for most of the past 3 years. Her mind was trapped in a parallel universe which was unpopulated, leaving her completely alone (I'd be so, so freaked out, wouldn't you?). One of Takuya's co-workers discovers that she is connected to their research but doesn't tell Takuya because Takuya was once so close to Sayuri. Mr Okabi (Takuya's boss from where he was working in the past, sorry I didn't tell you about him, I forgot all about him!) plans to bomb the Hokkaido Tower to incite war against the Union (I forgot to tell you about them to, I'll add details at the end of the post) in hopes of reuniting Japan. (There was a separation, he was separated from his family which leads him to the plan of bombing the Hokkaido Tower)

Hiroki has moved to Tokyo where he studies, he is still haunted by frequent dreams of Sayuri and suffers from Depression (He separated with his Best and only friend, Takuya and the girl he loved, Sayuri so duh), he remains lonely and miserable.
Soon, a letter written by Sayuri before she went into her long three year coma reaches Hiroki (I think she wrote it in 1997, he received it in March, 2000, about bloody time!). It gives Hiroki a lead to go looking for Sayuri, he ends up at a hospital, asks the nurse were Sayuri is. The nurse tells him that she was transferred to another hospital (aka the research lab :blink:), Hiroki then asks the nurse where Sayuri's room was before she was transferred. The nurse takes him to the room and departs back to her counter. As soon as Hiroki enters the room Sayuri was previously in, he enters a brief dream (or maybe he stepped into the parallel universe Sayuri's mind was in, I got confused there). Hiroki and Sayuri manage to make brief contact, Hiroki is then put back into the real world (well, the anime world) where he realizes that the only way to wake Sayuri up is to take her body to the land promised in their early days (which was the promise to fly over to the tower).

Tensions grow between the Alliance (US&Japan) and the Union (Soviet Russia I think), a war is about to break lose. It becomes obvious that the Union is trying to use the tower as weapon to replace the whole world with matter from other universes. The only thing from preventing the tower from activating is Sayuri's coma. (The closer she comes to awakening, the more earth the tower will replace with matter from other universes). This forces Hiroki and Takuya to decide between saving Sayuri, or saving the world. They have a fight and Takuya tries to destroy the plane but Hiroki convinces Takuya that Sayuri is worth risking the world for.

Takuya then steals the body of Sayuri and takes it back to Hiroki, the two finish the plane together and then Takuya gives the bomb to Hiroki, instructing him to fly 10kms away from the tower and launch the missile after Sayuri has awoken. Hiroki takes Sayuri to the tower using the plane they just finished, Sayuri tries to get in touch with Hiroki while still trapped because she realizes that she will lose all the memories from the past 3 years, including the love she developed from Hiroki when she wakes up.

She fails attempting to get in touch with Hiroki and wakes up on the plane, all her memories from her dreams are gone, she has unknowingly lost her love for Hiroki as well. Hiroki then flies back 10km and fires the missile, the area of earth being replaced increases quickly (because Sayuri is completely awake), the tower is destroyed however the matter replaced remains.

The movie ends with Hiroki vowing to Sayuri that they will start their relationship all over again. :cry: (Why must it come to her losing her love for him, that's irreplaceable! 3Years of being alone developing love for him and he expects that he can get it all back, yeah right!)

Yeah, if I stopped making sense half way through (which I do sometimes), click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Place_Promised_in_Our_Early_Days

Anyways, I really liked this movie. If you haven't seen it, watch it!
If you have seen it, tell me what you thought about it!

Heres what I have to say about the movie:
I loved it, it was great, really entertaining and the story was quite nice. It felt really short (it ran for 90 minutes, I'm used to 2-3 hour movies) and the ending just killed my life! She lost all her love for him and memories, I hate it when love goes away and you have to start fresh!
Overall, I think the movie was great and is definitely worth watching!

If you're still having trouble making up your mind if you want to watch it or not, heres a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huRNoXHQmX8

EDIT: Heres some extra details!

The Union - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union

The Alliance (Info from Wikipedia) - By the 1990s when the story begins, the U.S. occupation of southern Japan has ended, and the two nations have formed a pact called the Alliance. Hokkaido remains under the control of the Union; contact between the North and the South is all but suspended; and border clashes are common. An underground group committed to reunifying Japan known as the Uilta Liberation Front exists in the South. Covertly supported by some Alliance government officials, it makes incursions into and executes attacks on Union territory.

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong area, I couldn't find an "Anime" section. Probably wasn't looking hard enough, quite tired atm, so it's off to bed with me! :thumbs_up:

My AMV I made with SV 9c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmxC2CTwPA
Watch if you're bored!

Support HsSDamian by clicking the link above and watching in HD and then commenting and then subscribing and then making me your friend and then having sex with me if you're a girl. Thank you.

Last edited:
Level 19
For a moment, I thought that this was dedicated to an Anime Thread which was promised during the early days, haha:)

Level 34
You could have cut your post off at "what did you guys think about that movie if you've seen it?" What I don't get is, if you want people to see this movie, why do you go on to explain, what looks like, the whole bloody thing?

Level 7
You could have cut your post off at "what did you guys think about that movie if you've seen it?" What I don't get is, if you want people to see this movie, why do you go on to explain, what looks like, the whole bloody thing?

Lol, I saw this post coming from either you or mortar.
Well not everyone is going to watch it, right?

Because
1. Good luck finding it
2. Some people aren't interested
3. It could help interest people

Level 11
1. Good luck finding it

Huh? I hope you know that this is the internet. There's most likely plenty of fansubbed versions which can easily be found here.

I didn't read your summary, but it still somewhat got interest from me, and I'm going to watch it later. :)

Level 34
Because
1. Good luck finding it
As stated above, this is the internet, we can find anything. If people aren't interested, writing a massive overview isn't going to help.

Look, I don't mean to criticize your thread, but I know I'd have been more interested with a very brief (a few sentences) outline of the anime.

Level 7
As stated above, this is the internet, we can find anything. If people aren't interested, writing a massive overview isn't going to help.

Look, I don't mean to criticize your thread, but I know I'd have been more interested with a very brief (a few sentences) outline of the anime.

Well I felt like typing something... Out of practice as I can only do 63 words per minute now (at max).
Another over view which was written on wikipedia was massive and thats the thing that got me interested so yeah, different things interest different people

Level 34
Isn't that like, the Jonas Brothers of the anime world? Overrated, loved by tweens, hated by critics, and brain fuckingly popular.
I have sources that say it's not all that bad. In fact good enough to watch. However I've only ever seen pieces of episodes well into the series, and had no idea what was going on.

Level 7
There's a anime-related thread, how rare...
Well, I kinda get what Azn mean :grin:

this is his first awesome anime so he feels like ZOMGAWSUMETC.

and also don't speak bad about naruto.. I feel bad for it already just by having lot of haters, weeaboo and fags in-and-out :xxd:

and also I want to ask something, there used to me some more anime related models when it's 06 and why there's almost none left in 10?? none of modeler in hive like anime? :/
if there really is none, I'd start to learn modeling by myself...

Level 11
Okay I watched it. I must say, it really is a good film. The art is delicious if you look at the fact that it is from 2004.
The story was somewhat good, yet confusing at some times, but that was possibly only me because I wasn't paying too much attention while I looked it. (Most likely because it was pretty late? Well nevermind).
The ending was awesome, although somewhat predictable if you're not a complete dumbass. Nevertheless it was overall a moving anime film which nearly threw my heart out with the combination of great drawings and some neat scenes. I do recommend it.

If anyone wants something which is a bit similiar, go watch 5 centimeters per second. It's really good aswell. :)

Level 7
I highly recomend you to Download All Naruto & Naruto Shippuuden episodes.
This is the best Anime that ever has been created.

I'd say people have different tastes, I like this, you like Naruto, I dislike Naruto.

this is his first awesome anime so he feels like ZOMGAWSUMETC.

Yeah, it's the first anime I've seen that's worth watching. I've seen Naruto which didn't appeal to me.

why did you link the soviet union

EVERYBODY knows the soviet union.

HA I don't :D

Okay I watched it. I must say, it really is a good film. The art is delicious if you look at the fact that it is from 2004.
The story was somewhat good, yet confusing at some times, but that was possibly only me because I wasn't paying too much attention while I looked it. (Most likely because it was pretty late? Well nevermind).
The ending was awesome, although somewhat predictable if you're not a complete dumbass. Nevertheless it was overall a moving anime film which nearly threw my heart out with the combination of great drawings and some neat scenes. I do recommend it.

If anyone wants something which is a bit similiar, go watch 5 centimeters per second. It's really good aswell. :)
Hurray finally someone watched it *.*
Is 5 centimeters per second about dreams? :eek:

Level 11
Hurray finally someone watched it *.*
Is 5 centimeters per second about dreams? :eek:

Let me quote a short summary.
A movie consisting of three parts, basically telling the story of two people, Tohno Takaki and Shinohara Akari, who were close friends but gradually grow farther and farther apart as time moves on. Takaki and Akari become separated because of their families yet continue to exchange contact in the form of eMails. Yet as time continues to trudge on, their contact with one another begins to cease. Years pass and the rift between them grows ever larger. However, Takaki remembers the times they have shared together, but as life continues to unfold for him, he wonders if he would be given the chance to meet Akari again as the tale embarks on Takaki's realization of the world and people around him.

Part 1 - The Chosen Cherry Blossoms (26 min): Because of family movement, Shinohara Akari had leave Tokyo upon graduation from elementary school. The deep feelings between Takaki and Akari for each other keep them in contact, but they worry they may not meet again. Then, one day, Takaki learns that his familiy will move from Tokyo to an island in the far south of Japan, so he decides to use this last opportunity visit Akari by train...

Part 2 - Cosmonaut (21 min): Years have passed, and Takaki still writes eMails aimed at Akari, only to never send them to her. Meanwhile Sumita Kanae, his classmate, has special feelings for Takaki, but she does not have the courage to express her love to him...

Part 3 - 5 Centimeters per Second (16 min, more of a music clip than anime): Takaki is working as computer programmer now, occasionally remembering his former life - and love. And then, at a railroad crossing he suddenly passes by a woman who looks familiar to him...

So it's more about love and the real life. Yet, the HD version has awesome art and the story is really sad and still wonderful. :)

Level 34
I don't get why ppls dislike Naruto?
I like it mostly because all the god damn emotions in the episodes. Sometime when it almost almost almost let me fall a tear.
A huge majority of Naruto resources suck, and the maps are atrocious. Most people that hate it here have probably never watched Naruto, or have such a biased opinion it doesn't matter if they saw it or not.

Level 7
The internet trend is to hate on anything that is popular, because that would mean you're special and very tasteful in your selection! You're no sheep, oh no!

Final fantasy is popular... I love it ^^
However, you're completely right.
Most people just hate because they want attention, others hate because they are mentally challenged.

Level 19
I highly recomend you to Download All Naruto & Naruto Shippuuden episodes.
This is the best Anime that ever has been created.

I bet you are really superior to other when it comes to recommending good animes...

Let me break down the problems with Naruto. I have watched all episodes, so don't doubt my intel on this matter.

Naturo has tendency to fall back into patterns of 20 bad animated, slow moving, relatively boring episode, followed by 2-4 good animated, fast moving, fairly entertaining episodes. This pattern can be backtraced through the entire show. I assume the creators aimed for this to create a sort of addiction in the brain of young people who idolize the main characters. These people are willing to watch 20 bad episodes to get to see some short snippets of good anime. This makes the budget of naruto a lot simpler, because now they don't have to worry about quality animators, yet the teen fanbase is growing each day.

Secondly, the whole story desperately tries to be seious and all dark, with a lot of moral issues and shit, but the colorful, happy ninja world everyone lives in makes it impossible to take that serious. This combined with probably the most annoying and dumb main character in the history of characters, and a little slash of humor here and there, makes the more hard to believe and too good to be true.

Though I have to admit, the naruto series has it's moments, those are definitely not worth watching 400++ episodes to see.

Level 7
Let me quote a short summary.

So it's more about love and the real life. Yet, the HD version has awesome art and the story is really sad and still wonderful. :)

Alright, I watched it and it was okay.
It's ending was even worse than "The place promised in our early days" and it was quite strange.

Can you tell me what happened in more detail? This is all I got out of it...
The guy and this girl are in love and he is forced to go to another school far away

He is at his other school and this girl is madly in love with him but then realizes that he doesn't love or like her and cries herself to sleep

He's back in tokyo, he has a job, he sees the girl from Ep 1 who he loved but they just walk passed eachother. She is engaged and about to get married in 2 days with someone else and he just quits his job and the movie ends with a strange song.

It didn't quite make sense to me, it feels way to unfinished.
I'd have to give 5 Centimeters Per Second a 5/10, if you're bored then watch it but it's not really that great.
To end the film my way I'm going to dream tonight that either he jumps off a sky scraper because of his depression.
Or he's going to find the girl he loved at ep1 and they get married instead.

(after merge)
2nd post:

If you had seen and read my earlier post You'd know that the movie "The place promised in our early days" was one I really really liked. When I was bored over the weekends, I decided to give it a go on Sony Vegas, it took me quite a while to do and had me stay up until 5 am.

Anyways, tell me what you think.
Love it, Hate it, doesn't bother me if you hate it as I wouldn't be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKmxC2CTwPA
Comment&Rate and if possible subscribe (to my youtube channel)! All is very much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
Narutard has not watched Clannad After Story or Tokyo Magnitude 8.
no don't, not tokyo magnitude...

it's kinda weird when those the little brother get into hospital, and when it get to the last episode... omgwtf, he's dead since days ago

hey wait.. did I just spoil the story?

Level 11
lol i never even heard of that show before, its hard for me to even watch anime's ne more... idk how DBZ did it for me, but no other anime has proven better so far

Level 11
lol i remember one piece, i did like that show.. it was funny and had action... but wen toonami was gone... it seemed DBZ and One Piece disappeared with it =/

Level 7
lol i never even heard of that show before, its hard for me to even watch anime's ne more... idk how DBZ did it for me, but no other anime has proven better so far

I refuse to allow you to watch only DBZ.
Watch The place promised in our early days now :cute:
While you're at it go get Clannad and Clannad After Story :mwahaha:

Level 7
I refuse to allow you to watch only DBZ.
Watch The place promised in our early days now :cute:
While you're at it go get Clannad and Clannad After Story :mwahaha:
it's back to clannad o_O
too bad that tomoyo after still haven't adapted yet :xxd:

then guys, let me ask you this.. which you prefer? OVAs/series/movie?

Level 7
it's back to clannad o_O
too bad that tomoyo after still haven't adapted yet :xxd:

then guys, let me ask you this.. which you prefer? OVAs/series/movie?

HOW DARE YOU ASK IF WE LIKE SERIES OR MOVIES MORE!
Used to be movie until I watched Clannad, I can't decide anymore...
Clannad however is one of the best animes ever created so bah :razz:

Level 7
HOW DARE YOU ASK IF WE LIKE SERIES OR MOVIES MORE!
Used to be movie until I watched Clannad, I can't decide anymore...
Clannad however is one of the best animes ever created so bah :razz:
meuh you can't even answer it :/

well I like both, I can't choose... I'd rather die than choose one of it :xxd:

Level 6
SPOILER ALERT

Ever heard of it? It's the first thing you say when you're giving out spoilers.

Level 17
I haven't read most of the first post so I may be wrong with my assumption that this is some kind of rate-your-favorite-anime thread. Well, at least I know this thread is about anime, lol.

Well, for me animes have two functions. The first is some kind of escape from the reallife. Certain people might see this as a poison for people's brains as they couldn't find the way back to their reallife. I agree with that, however, I don't want to give up my fantasy and become white-bread. I'm an unconventional person. Oh, and I really think the danger getting lost within your fantasy is in certain other cases (*caugh* world of warcraft *caugh*) higher than in animes. The second function they have is a personal one for me, lol. They are my sleeping pills xD
Well, I guess I should name some animes now. Here we go:

Claymore:
This is probably one of the best stories I've ever heard about. After watching the anime, I was slightly disappointed as too many questions were left unanswered for me. I started reading the manga, however, since it's still ongoing, I'm not satisfied with this anime yet. I think everyone who calls himself an anime-nerd or something like that should be aware of this anime.

Black Lagoon:
There are no superhuman powers in this anime, but I still like it. People who know me (and my preferances for animes) probably would wonder. I think the amount of action in here replaces my desire for superhuman abilities. I usually watch animes containing them since animes are most suitable for that, more than general movies. They can express and show powers which are a result from human brains the best. This anime is definitely worth watching it. Don't forget to watch the continuation The Black Lagoon - the second barriage if you start watching this.

Death Note:
If you are dumb, you better not start watching this. Nuff said. xD
No srsly, this is a very investigatively elaborated anime. There is not much of action in here, the "joy" in here is more analysing what's going to happen. I didn't really liked it at all ... I seek action and superhuman abilities! However, despite that, I think this is a good anime.

Elfen Lied:
Very weird story. Anyone who likes splatter will be satisfied with this one.
Well, you could say this is a lovestory containing a lot of blood, corpses and violence, though. lol. The first time I watched it, I though something like 'omg this shit is sick'. After watching it an additional few times, I thought 'Hey, this actually is pretty good'. Yep, I like it. I also started to buy the manga series of it (6 parts, I got 1, 3 and 5. Part 2 and 4 are in reproduction and I gotta wait <.<).

Well, that's enough for now. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.