• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"An Age... of Empires."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Well, my dad recently gave me a copy of Age of Empires II: Age of Kings and the Conquerers. It was at this moment in time that I got to saw the awesome intro, which inspired me to write this little narrative.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the light of the sun began to recede, two men sat down together for some tea. It was an... ordinary day, for the most part. Everyone was having their own comes and goings through the realms, it seemed. So, these two men... nay, Kings! came together. One motioned to a chessboard, and the other nodded. So, these two Kings would sit down and have their tea with a rousing chess game.

And so... the game began. Both of the kings began to play, forming their men into rank and various other formations. But this was a trick, you see. One was more cunning than the other. He plotted the downfall of his friend, who began to feel uneasy at the unsightly grin on his face as his knight trotted across the board... The other king advanced his rook, but it was instantly annihilated by the the other's bishop. He was surprised! How could his friend have anticipated his moves? He had many theories. The cunning king was dominating the chessboard. His friend began to sweat with even more uneasiness. Why do I feel as if this game has something to do with what will happen tonight? He did not know. But his cunning friend did...

And so, about a half an hour into the game, the first signs of siege began appearing. Knights were charging into the fields, sacking farms and minor defenses. Footmen were loaded up into rams and moved up to the front gate. The gate, worn down by time, was no match. The battle took to the castle, where the guards put up a good retaliation. But it was in vain... the cunning king's numbers were overwhelming. The invaders began to burn the buildings, as they were instructed. It all went according to plan...

At daybreak, fog and clouds covered the ruins of the great castle. A lone knight looked up at it's destroyed towers and down at the burnt villages. Not a single survivor remained except for himself... He looked at the stonework cast down beneath his feet. There appeared to be a shining object hidden in the broken stone! He picked it up. It was... a chesspiece. A King, in fact. Cradling it in his arms, he looked at the castle. Why?, he asked himself. But he already knew the answer... It is an Age... of Kings... an Age... of Conquest. An Age... of Empires!

Level 15
It's a classic that shall be forever remembered as one of the greatest real time strategies of all time. And yeah, it kicks number III in the heimrich hemmlers or whatever.

Level 15
Thanks. I got AoE III just to see what it was like. It was pretty cool (physics system and stuff), but you can't be the classics.

Level 15
It didn't suck, but it's sequel was better. And it's not glorious since you don't give us any reasons about your opinion, which, in fact, renders it useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.