• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The Land of Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Every eye in the small stone room bolted open as a glass shattering cry echoed throughout. The shrill sound of a female in pain struck fear into everyone's heart, and the thought of what was to come brought fear to their minds.

Each man stood from his bed, grabbing the weapon which was to either be in the bed with them or leaning against it, never to far. They all fell into their given roles at once.

Five of the ten were to watch the doorway, weapons in hand, nerves on edge. Two of the others were to light the torches which had been smothered before nightfall as to not attract attention. The rest were left to listen to the complex sound system which was set up throughout the building. Each room was built of stone besides the floors which were aged wood. This particular room was full of small holes which were actually very thin trails which led to the bottom of a portion of floor in each room. This system allowed the listeners to guess as to where anyone or anything was.

After five minutes of dreaded silence the men began to waver. The once strong feeling of fear and adrenaline had dispersed and now only drooping eyes and slumping shoulders remained. The silence was broken by the largest of the men and also the leader, Adrian.

"I don't believe we're in danger tonight my brothers. We should take our rest while we can and asses the damage in the morning." Adrian's voice was soft and quiet as to keep from echoing around the room. "Bolt the door and blockade it with that dresser, but be careful not to make a sound." Two of the men who were originally watching the door for danger set their weapons, which consisted of a short sword and mace, onto the closest beds and set to moving the dresser.

It was placed before the door without a problem. The men returned to their beds and placed their heads on their pillows. All except one however. The youngest of them all, Tristan, an apprentice blacksmith from the adjacent village. He sat on his bed and watched the flame of a single torch with glowed a soft orange-yellow hue. He thought of the sounds of hammers on an anvil, the hissing of hot iron in water, and the bellowing call of his master shouting as he made a mistake. His eyes began to tear up as he thought of it all. "What have I gotten myself into." He whimpered to himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.