• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Altering command buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm making a tile- and turn-based multiplayer rpg, and I want to use a system where you can right-click the ground and be told how much the action costs, and right-click it once more to go there. I'm not going into details with this, because I've allready aced the trigger-part.
My real issue is that the default tooltips for movement-related command buttons (move, patrol, and hold position) don't suit my game, and I want to use the standard commands (not custom abilities or anything), because then all you have to do is right-click the target point. I know that some abilities can be used with the right-click order (such as Shop Sharing), but they can't be set to target the terrain effectively.
My question: Is there any way to use the right-click function to target a point, without having the associated command buttons (move, patrol, hold position), or at least being able to change their tooltips?

Level 28
WarKeys There you go ^^
By the way, I should thank you: if you didn't ask this, I wouldn't know it either xD

I'm going to test it right away and edit this post for the results.

Edit: You can't import it for multi-player use, so I've got to find something else :/
Importing the "CustomKeys.txt" doesn't work either.

Every search-result gives you the same answer, I knew about CustomKeys.txt before, but I have no idea how to change it in multiplayer, I'm sorry :/

Level 10
Only concerning Move, Patrol, Stop, and Hold Position:
OR - multiple functions
- Wanted to change the hotkey AND tooltip
- (OR) Wanted to hide the icon AND tooltip, only keeping a hotkey function, maybe changing its letter key too

My main problem was actually the tooltip. It doesn't fit my game, simply. And I couldn't find any way of changing the tooltip. I could change the icons for Move, Patrol, etc., but not the toopltip (or hotkey). I even found some abilities named Move, Attack, and Rally, but making customs from them didn't do the trick either. But I'm good now, cause I found another sollution last night with an ability, a dummy unit, none of the regular commands, and some forced UI key tap triggering. And now my game features DOUBLE-CLICKING!!! yay!!

Level 3
Isn't it possible to hide the command buttons and just make custom abilities that make nothing and when you cast them order unit to move or patrol or whatever to the selected point?

Level 10
Yes, but you want to just right-click, don't you? I'm just picky about details, that's all. I want it to be simple for the player, simple for me, beautiful and original for the player, and less time-consuming for me. But those things don't work together. Yet I solved my prob with this detail:
Now you left-click because it's an ability, but you don't have to use a hotkey or command button, 'cause every time it's your turn and you can do something (in my game) I use forced UI function. And when you cast the ability, the unit stops, and forced UI is used again. Only if you double-click (beging to cast the ability twice rapidly) you approve the action. It works brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.