• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Altered Campaign - CCG edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Recently, an idea came into my mind.

In case you have no idea what CCG is, it is a collectible card game: Magic: the Gathering, Hearthstone, TES: Legends, Shadowverse and so on fall into this genre.

I enjoy all type of CCGs, including PVE CCGs with a progression, where you build up your deck and face different encounters.

I've enjoyed a 2 player Campaign project. Playing old missions on a hard mode with friend was lots of fun.

So why can't we have both?

Landscape and plot from old RoC campaigns.
Card game's combat and collectible system.

So, every mission has a bunch of fights, some are optional, all award you some cards. You start with a small collection and build it up through missions, ideally, optimizing your deck to beat certain hard encounters. You also earn some gold you can spend by buying extra cards.

I think that would be a pretty interesting take. The hardest thing to make is a challenging AI.

Level 3
but how will you fit the plot in
The idea is to use Wc3 Human RoC (Arthas) Campaign as a base. You move around the map with your hero normally, but instead of fighting enemies you have several encounters, which put you into a CCG mode. Fight itself happens on a different field.

To make things more interesting, there could be some things not present in an original campaign.

E.G. Stratholme Purge mission

You encounter bandits that agree to help you if you let them loot the city freely.
Let them join = you gain 3 copies of "Stratholme Looter" cards
Attack them = you gain 3 copies of "Wrath of Justice" or w/e cards.

With several choice possibilities like that, along with additional "card shop" there should be plenty of possible choice when building up your card collection.

I have an idea of what will be the ruleset of CCG and such, I'd consider myself fairly knowledgeable about this game genre and pretty sure I'd be able to make a fun CCG by itself.

What stops me from starting this is the difficulty, mostly AI. Making a good, non-cheating CCG AI is not an easy thing. And without it is either an easy walk or you face really OP enemies and abuse AI flaws to have a chance.

Level 3
I am gonna try. I am gonna make a small testfield to see how it turns out. Depending on how successful AI will be, I'll either make or scrap it. Even this gonna take time, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.