• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

All-purpose dummy buff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I'm doing a lot of triggering of abilities/buffs/debuffs in my map, and I'm in need of a good dummy buffer system.

Are there any abilities in standard warcraft 3 that:
- Add a buff with a duration (preferably not auras with their fiddly duration)
- Does not trigger spell shield
- Does nothing else
- Can stack with itself and display separate buffs (given different order string or whatever)
- Can refresh itself and display the same buff (given same order string or whatever)
- Either being applied with a spell or a basic attack are both okay.
- (optional) 4 versions: positive (dispellable), positive (undispellable), negative (dispellable), negative (undispellable) [so that the standard wc3 AI knows how to deal with them]

Right now I'm just picking out abilities that I'm not using for anything else as dummy buffers, and it's limiting. It'd be unfortunate if, say, I'm stuck being unable to use thunder clap because I'm using its buff as a dummy buff. Even worse if I'm sacrificing multiple abilities!

Level 7
Auras are the only abilities that will stack if given different buffs. All buff spells are hardcoded to override other buffs placed by other spells based on the same base spell. The only way to avoid running out of base spells is to have your triggered buff spells use auras to display their buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.