• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] AI editor, continuous sending units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys, sorry to bother you all. I tried to repeatedly go go through trial and error to find out what is causing this issue, but there are so many factors going on in my map that i cannot isolate it.

Note: This is not a big problem, as i can just change back what i did, but i am genuinely curious about what is causing it.
Essentially, today i just made some changes to to my AI in my maps. Essentially, i checked "random paths" and "show no mercy" tabs in the AI editor, as well as removing all attack priorities except.

enemy- major assault
enemy- expansion
enemy- any town

After I did that, I now find that when an AI attacks, when I kill units, the base keeps sending a trickle of units against me as if to refill the units in the attack wave that died. Before this, once an attack wave left the AI base, the ai would never send reinforcements. But now with these changes, it keeps sending a small trickle of units. I was just curious if anyone knew what was going on :p

I thought I was making the AI smarter, but I want to avoid this trickle for balance reasons, since it is easier to predict enemy difficulty if they only send the attack waves they are meant to and do not reinforce it with units that die during the attack wave. :)

I am not sure if it has to do with the fact that the hero in the attack wave is alive. I was unable to kill the hero to test if that stopped the trickle,since I got overwhelmed :(

Level 23
My test group is exactly that hero. Hmm, is there some connection to it. Or are you saying the base will keep sending men trickling in as long as the minimum attack force is still alive. That is a really interesting line of thought Wark. I am just curious as to why before i made the changes, nothing like this trickle ever happened.

Also wark, since I am here, can i ask does minimum attack forces mean the all of the attack waves must have that certain amount of units o_O.

Last edited:
Level 13
Basically, the minimum attack force dictates what needs to be present before the AI captain decides to attack something, else it stays in its base.
I usually notice the AI tends to keep reinforcements in its base until the next wave is formed to regroup.
Try turning off random paths. I tried it before myself, and noticed ... strange, untactical behavior.

Also, what is your attack wave time? 0 or 1?
I usually set mine to 1.

Level 23
Basically, the minimum attack force dictates what needs to be present before the AI captain decides to attack something, else it stays in its base.
I usually notice the AI tends to keep reinforcements in its base until the next wave is formed to regroup.
Try turning off random paths. I tried it before myself, and noticed ... strange, untactical behavior.

Also, what is your attack wave time? 0 or 1?
I usually set mine to 1.

You are right Wark. The random path check seemed to be the key issue, and without it unchecked the AI worked fine (though i also unchecked show no mercy because something strange was happening there also, but not the trickle).
Thank you so much :p

Status
Not open for further replies.