• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AI attacking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Greeting people. I am currently using AI editor with regarding to enemy's attacking wave and pattern. However, i've encounter a very weird and annoying problem. Those AI did what i've asked to attack, but they just simply like to retreat after clearing 1 or 2 guarding units(apparently the attacking wave did not target any towns, it targeted the guarding unit instead). What i've want is the attacking wave target all the way to the enemy's main town hall, and not guarding units. What else do i have to do/adjust such that the attacking wave target the enemy's main town hall instead of guarding units??

edited* There're a few things i need to clarify.
I understand that minimum force is required to attack or else the troop will retreat. But even with no unit lost, the attacking wave will still retreat back to their base.

What does the initial delay to do with the repeating of waves?
From what i've understand, if i were to set it to 60sec, and after the final last wave in the window is completed, the AI will wait for 60seconds plus the delay needed to perform the next repeated wave?

For example.
Attack wave1, delay 30second
Attack wave2, delay 30second

initial delay = 60;
repeats wave = 1;

The AI launch according such that in total game time
Attack wave1 launched, game time is 30second
Attack wave2 launched, game time is 30 + 30 sec
Attack wave1 launched, game time is 30 + 30 + 60 + 30 sec
Attack wave2 launched, game time is 30 + 30 + 60 + 30 + 30 sec

Those are my AI editor screenshots

Last edited:
Level 4
Hi there. If using of attack-move trigger, wont there be quite chaotic due to different units have different value of movement speed? An example of ur method will be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 4
You could edit Said units move speed to be the same.

i dont really like this method. Like if the attacking wave were to meet some terrain obstacles/ally blockage, they would be separated such that some units are far away from the main group, it will be chaotic still. Any method to overcome this? And, ty for your suggestion and +rep to your post.

Edit*
Still seeking for other suggestions~

Last edited:

yip

yip

Level 3
I only gave it a super quick look, and I'm not too familiarized with how the AI editor works, but if what you want is for the units to blindly target specific buildings (ignoring everything else), triggering would be the quickest route. Just don't use AI then (cause they'll override the triggered commands) and order said units to attack (not attack move) the town hall or whatever.

Or is that not it?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It might be that the call for the next attack wave is breaking off the current attack wave.

AI readies army.
Attack wave 1 starts.
Attack wave 1 starts hammering target base.
Attack wave 1 is called off as the army gathers for attack wave 2.
Attack wave 2 starts.
Attack wave 2 starts hammering target base.

Try adding larger delays between attack waves and see if it helps.

There is also an interesting flag called "Have no Mercy". At lower AI difficulties it was possible that this flag makes them retreat if they kill your army early on even if they could bulldoze you (the AI shows mercy towards you). Try turning the flag on as it might be related to the problem (since it sounds like they are being merciful and sparing your base).

Level 4
I only gave it a super quick look, and I'm not too familiarized with how the AI editor works, but if what you want is for the units to blindly target specific buildings (ignoring everything else), triggering would be the quickest route. Just don't use AI then (cause they'll override the triggered commands) and order said units to attack (not attack move) the town hall or whatever.

Or is that not it?
The attacking tab for AI editor has its pros such that, the attacking units will move together, like for example, unit A is lagging behind, the wave will wait for unit A to catch up before they move together. But if any1 can do the same method in trigger, then its not necessary to use AI editor for attacking wave pattern. The biggest cons is that the target of attacking wave is very vague and less choices.

It might be that the call for the next attack wave is breaking off the current attack wave.

AI readies army.
Attack wave 1 starts.
Attack wave 1 starts hammering target base.
Attack wave 1 is called off as the army gathers for attack wave 2.
Attack wave 2 starts.
Attack wave 2 starts hammering target base.

Try adding larger delays between attack waves and see if it helps.

There is also an interesting flag called "Have no Mercy". At lower AI difficulties it was possible that this flag makes them retreat if they kill your army early on even if they could bulldoze you (the AI shows mercy towards you). Try turning the flag on as it might be related to the problem (since it sounds like they are being merciful and sparing your base).

Nope thats not the issue here. I've tried debug the problem by allying the AI. And notice that the reason why they retreated is because they did not target any town halls, instead they targeted the guarding units(Note that if u were to be an ally of the AI's wave, they will sent signal on the minimap to where they will launch an attack). After the AI finished their job killing the guarding unit, they will retreat. The main problem here is the "target".

I have no idea how this to be done in trigger form. The only method that's in my mind is mentioned earlier, the attack move method which is,

*event- every 1-2mins of the game
*action
1) order random group in region HomeBaseZone(unit type of footman) to move to region ReadyToAttackZone.
2) wait for 5 sec
3) order random group in region HomeBaseZone(unit type of archer) to move to region ReadyToAttackZone.
4) wait for 5sec
5) pick the unit group in region ReadyToAttackZone and do actions
-order picked unit to attack-move to region EnemyTownHall

This above method will launch a footman and archer to attack the base.
But still, need a periodic timer to check if the attack wave units have casted a spell(if they did, they will froze and not attack)

Any more efficiency method to overcome this limitation?

edited* will try enable the have no mercy tab when i got home. Thanks :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.