• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aeon of War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Aeon of War

AoW is another AoS map focussing on the battle between the Alliance and the Horde. Yeah, I know what you want to say.
I guess it's because I just enjoy creating AoS maps the most and lot's of my friends don't like typical warcraft but enjoy AoS maps.
Anyway this map will be different in some points to most of the AoS maps out there.
Last but not least I create the maps I have in mind and that's all.

Here is a short description of the map's features:

Capture point gameplay
Captured points give you gold every x seconds.
You can spend gold, to upgrade your base, reinforce your troops, etc.
Gold is mainly used as a pro-team resource.

Honor points
You receive honor for killing heroes (PvP) and capturing strategic points.
You can spend your honor to acquire powerful items.
So honor is your personal resource for hero powerup.

Damage, spell and item system
The power of spells and abilities depends on your heroe's attributes.
Items may increase attributes, spell/ability power, crit chances, etc.
Also, everything can crit, from normal attacks to abilities and spells.
You may type stats to view your heroe's statistics.

Heroes
The hero pool contains classic ones inspired by WoW but also new and more individual ones (like the necromancer for example).

Bots / AI
I don't like the fact, that most maps don't feature AI because I personally prefer to play via LAN with friends than B.Net.
So this map has AI. Of course it won't compete with human players but it will work out fine for local games with a few friends or to fill up some slots.

Some other things
Fully written in jass, the terrain doesn't suck.
The map isn't finished right now, but it's yet fully playable.

Credits (systems, custom gfx, etc.) to:
Darkwulfvs (XP system), Vexorian (Table, TimerUtils), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils, IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (goblin mage model, fx art), JetFangInferno (fx art), Mc ! (item models), Nasrudin (tauren druid & undead rogue models), Szythe (fx art), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art)
Let me know, if i forgot someone.

Current version: 0.92

DOWNLOAD: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/aeon-war-155269/

Any feedback, critism, bug reports, hero & item suggestions etc. are very appreciated! :)

moco

Attachments

• AoW.jpg
    AoW.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 248
  • aow01.jpg
    aow01.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 283
  • aow02.jpg
    aow02.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 299
  • aow03.jpg
    aow03.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 261
  • aow04.jpg
    aow04.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 4,261
  • aow05.jpg
    aow05.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 257
  • aow06.jpg
    aow06.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 6,313
  • aow07.jpg
    aow07.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Level 9
Now, this wasn't bad, but it really wasn't good either.
I played the Mage, which overall was lacking.

It lacked
  • :D spells
  • Triggered spells
  • Actual spell interaction
  • Meaning
  • Personality

Well, really. The gameplay was really nice, but the heroes... I really missed a feeling of :D, IMO the heroes were just a bunch of randomly mixed spells, giving no meaning. In an AoS you have to think about the heroes, give them personality, and atleast triggered spells.

But yeah... It wasn't bad, but I think you maybe should look at DoE, AotZ or maybe my AoS, Aeon of Souls.

Level 13
I know what you mean.

Well, I've tried to keep the basic hero pool very WoWish, means the heroes should feel like known from WoW. So they feature the most important/characteristic spells of their original WoW models. In case of the mage, he can blink into mobs, cast aoe, has a good ranged damage spell etc. I think especially the ice barrier spell adds a nice touch to his playability.

Yeah, I'll have to admit, that this approach hasn't very much of personality and invidual design of course.

Though, I think there a still a lot of people who especially like the classic and known heroes and such people will be happy, if the hero feels similiar to their beloved WoW one. I guess there are just two kinds of players. The one who appreciate classic heroes and the one who prefer more individual designs. There is no doubt, that more individual design is more interesting.

In my eyes, an optimal compromise is found with a mix of the classic heroes with new and extraordinary ones. Unfortunately, the map features only the classic ones right now. But as mentioned, I'm planning to add and think about new heroes as soon as the other stuff is finished. Hopefully, the map will feature a bunch of new and more interesting heroes soon. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Last edited:
Level 13
Thanks for reopening.

After a long break I've put up a new version. It's fully playable and as far as I know without any crucial bugs.

Things planned for further releases: more heroes, more items, terrain improvements.

Feedback and suggestions are very appreciated! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.