• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Battlegrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
WC3 WoW Battlegrounds

Hello everyone!

After a break of some months I got back to mapping and started a completely new project I want to introduce:

BATTLEGROUNDS

It is a mix of AoS aspects, WoW Battlegrounds and other gameplay elements. It's quite fast paced and involves a lot of micro.
The map is 100% written in jass. It uses some code systems availably at wc3campaigns. Thanks for them, making lots of things easier! :)
To be more detailed, I'll give a short description of the basic game aspects.

Heroes, Abilities & Items
The basic pool of heroes is meant to be classic: warrior, mage, priest, druid, paladin, rogue, hunter. These heroes are freely inspired by WoW and have been proven as a good basic hero pool. I'm planning to add some more and extraordinary heroes later.
One interesting aspect of the hero design is, that the power of abilities directly depends on the attributes of the hero. Theoretically, this allows infinite hero levels and a smooth balancing.
Items will influence your spells and abilities too. For example, items may increase your int which increases the power of your spells. Other items even directly increase spell power like known from WoW. The system distinguishes between spells and abilities. For example, a mage got spells, a rogue or a warrior got abilitites - so a staff of dominance would boost the spells of the mage, but not the abilities of the rogue.
Also, I'm planning to add a lot of special items with unique effects. Examples already implented are a blade, that can be used to transform your hero into a demon or a staff, that creates a magical portal that sends out summons for your assistance.

Strategical points and Resource System
There are some strategical points and buildings on the map, which can be captured. Each strategical point under your control grants your team a bonus income.
The resource system features gold and honor points. Gold can be received by killing enemy units and as an automatic income due to strategical points.
Honor points can be gained for capturing strategical points and for killing enemy heroes. They can be used in exchange for items and powerups.
Honor points are meant for boosting and improving your hero while gold is primarily used to buy upgrades for the whole team.

Upgrades
You can upgrade your team’s castle 2 times. In other words: This map features 3 tiers like in normal melee. A higher tier means a stronger base and more and stronger AoS units. There is a bunch of other upgrades available, that are independent from the tier upgrades.

Special Tactics
This is a 'planned' aspect of gameplay, I haven't implented yet. It's meant to offer your team a range of special tactics to choose from. At some point in the game, your team will get the opportunity, to select one out of them. A possible example could be something like defensive tactics, that would increase the strength of towers or lower their price etc.

AI
This map features an adequate AI system. You can fill up player slots with computer players and can play against an AI only team if you want. Right now, the enemy AI is quite basic: AI players will capture strategical points and buy upgrades, but no items yet.

Credits
Captain Griffin (Custom Ability Damage System), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (fx art), Darkwulfv (Experience System), JetFangInferno (fx art), Kattana (HandleVars functions), Mc ! (item models), shadow1500 (Shield system), Szythe (fx art), Vexorian (Caster System, Independent summons), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art), xombie (Timed effects library)

Please let me know, if I forgot someone!
-----------------------------------------------------------

I've attached the map in it's current state and some screenshots.

Progress: ~85%

My current To Do List:

- general playtesting and balancing
- Improve terrain (there are still some quite empty places)
- Improve AI
- Add more items
- Add special tactics
- Paladin spells (he is a half finished, he needs about 3 more spells, any suggestions are very appreciated)
- Huntress : I'm a bit unhappy with the stasis trap spell, would like to exchange it
- Add some more heroes (the current heroes are very classic, new herores could be more experimental or extraordinary in design)

For testing reasons, I've added the command repick.
If you type this, you can change your hero during the game. So you can test all heroes without starting a new game each time.

Please do not distribute the map file or host public games on b.net since it's still in alpha phase!
You may start a local network game and fill up all slots with computer players.

Any feedback and suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks! :)

[EDIT:] new version upped: 0.8.1

Attachments

• bg01.jpg
    bg01.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 212
  • bg02.jpg
    bg02.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 194
  • bg03.jpg
    bg03.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 236
  • bg04.jpg
    bg04.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 172
  • MoCos_Battlegrounds.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Level 4
I think i found a bug(maybe:cool:)

when i buy an upgrades and cancel it (many times:razz:)

then i get cashback...

ex: i starting upgrade cost 1000 gold and i cancel it (many times:razz:)

sometimes.... i get cashback

please check...:thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.