• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Adding unit in CTRL+# group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
It's always have been that way. However, I just got an idea that might be possible. Make dummy heroes. They got an icon in the upper-left corner of the screen. I believe those have a shortcut F1, F2, F3, etc. Make a trigger that when Hero 1 is selected, select Unit Group 1, which you assigned. That should have the same effect and you also have Unit Group icons (like in games like Age of Empires) ^^

Level 12
Couldn't you make a dummy ability that grouped the units you've selected together? A "Group Up" dummy spell.

And then handle that unitgroup when the hero dummy is selected?

You could even write a script that monitored the health of the unitgroup, and updated it towards that hero dummy. So it would reflect the actual group's total HP.

Level 21
Well you can't even detect when the unit group is assigned a number so I don't see the point of adding heroes. And there are plenty of such groups, while icons are limited, maybe icons not much but heroes are limited only to F5, so max 5 groups.
The actual max is 7 (or 8, not sure), which is only 3 less than with cntrl groups...
EDIT: 7 heroes, but only F1 to F5...

And MeKC, using F1 will select only one unit, I want to have selected much more.

Make a trigger that when your hero dummy is selected, you select the whole corresponding group? ......

Last edited:
Level 18
Ok, let's get this clear for a minute: The closest we have to a solution so far is dummy heroes that upon selection, select the corresponding Unit Group.
Problem with this method: Max of 5 groups due to a max limit of 5 hero icons.
Solution: Either you just live with 5 groups, or you make it more complicated. For the latter one we stick with the same idea, but we make groups and sub-groups. F1-F5 are the Groups. When one is selected, the icons change (a.k.a. the heroes are replaced) with the ones of the sub-groups. F1-F5 will select a sub-group. This does however requires you to inform the players of this, since new players will not understand that concept. However, this grants every player with 25 Unit Groups. If you still want more, you should re-think why the hell you should have more then 25 Unit Groups/player. If you find yourself with a good reason, you can make sub-sub-groups, which will allow you with a total of 125 Unit Groups per player.

If you need even more, I have the ultimate solution for your problem: Burn the map on a DVD, destroy the original, throw the DVD in a big bonfire and dance around the flames :gg:

Status
Not open for further replies.