• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Adding equipment/object to a wc3 model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I've been using reteras model editing tool for some time now and I'm very new to model editing.

Im looking to learn how I can transfer a weapon or armor from one model to another and attach it and save it as a new model.... For example adding a grunts shoulder pad to a peon.

Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated!

a lot of my youtube videos ended up 1 part comedy and 1 part useful over the years, but if you could gather the useful parts from this video it might help:

This video covers how to move the grunt's shoulder pad onto a villager, but i also moved the grunt animations at the same time.

basic_Edit.gif

heres an animated gif of sort of like how i would probably do most of it.

1.) open grunt
2.) choose "select by group" tool
3.) select his shoulder with left click
4.) un-select non should stuff with ALT+click if that stuff selected by accident
5.) do Edit > Copy
6.) open peon
7.) do Edit > Paste but if you use CTRL+V on the keyboard then it will place the shoulder where your mouse is in the 2d view which can be useful
8.) right click and do "re assign matrix" and choose peon UpArm for his left should (this animates grunt shoulder along with peon shoulder)

then not included in this gif example is that you want to move around the grunt shoulder and delete any parts you dont want, so that it's only the armor

I'm a big fan of your work!
thanks!

I forgot to ask if you were editing Reforged models or classic models. But if you want to do the same thing with an "HD" Reforged model, the process is basically the same -- I wanted to be able to use my tool the same way in either case, generally, although there are a few bug cases for the Reforged models still.

I haven't been doing bugfixes for the last year or so other than really critical ones typically, because I got lazy. So for people who have trouble with the bugs because my tool is fully open source and people can compile and modify their own versions, there is a fanmade version getting worked on that some people have shared around on the discord server in my signature. It uses a different version of java though and the setup for running it is a little different, and some people replaced the Warcraft model parser portion of the program with a theoretically better one and so that code has gotten to be quite a lot different. Such as in my GIF, when I get lazy I just launch my old one that we can download from hive because I don't have the time to review/fix the bugs introduced by changes in the fan version -- and in my version although it definitely has bugs, I wrote in all of them so I know all the workarounds.

So anyway my software management of this project has been somewhat questionable lately due to me spending my time on other things, but even despite the bugs and that human element I'm glad if my tool that I always considered unfinished is able to help you. Happy modding!

Status
Not open for further replies.