• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Adding a skin to a model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20

Attachments

• Ice planet.jpg
    Ice planet.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Here you go. The path is IcePlanet.blp and the other 3 textures have a path of Textures\"NAME".blp.

If you need to, you can compress it using BLP lab (or any other similar tool) since the IcePlanet texture is about 300 kb.

If you have any questions or if you need it as 512x512 instead, then feel free to post in this thread/PM me. :)

Attachments

• IcePlanetZip.zip
    374.6 KB · Views: 37
An image should be 32 bit and it should have an alpha channel so it can be used in-game. Alpha channeling can be achieved by masking the image, this works in corel photo paint and in adobe photoshop. (In corel, you have to create a background.) I don't know in another photo editing software. If an image already has been masked, you can convert it to .blp file. If I were you, I'll use the warcraft3 viewer; it converts properly.

Thanks a lot, Purge! It looks exactly as i wanted :D

Mind telling me how did you make it work? I always ended up with a blank skin ingame :O

Yeah sure:
  1. First, open the image in any image editor (I used irfanview), and resize it to dimensions that are a power of 2. (they must follow that condition to be converted and used properly as a blp) In this case, I used 256x256. I could've used 512x256, but I don't think that the model is mapped for a 512x256 texture. I also could've used 512x512, but I figured you might want it to be lower in size.
  2. Next, use a blp-converter to turn the image into a blp file. (I recommend BLP Lab as it is the most fail-safe converter you can use, and it has a lot of optimization options)
  3. Next, open the model in war3 model editor. Open "Windows -> Texture Manager".
  4. Right-click anywhere on the window and select "Import". Then choose your texture.
  5. Then go to "Windows -> Material Manager". Find the material(s) that use EarthMapLow.blp and change the texture used to the one you imported.
  6. Afterward, go back to the texture manager and remove the old texture that you no longer need.
  7. Save as .mdx, import using correct paths, and you are good to go!

You probably did most of this already, the main problem was most likely just a blp conversion error. It might've been either missing an alpha channel or it might have not been the correct dimensions. The nice thing about BLP Lab is that it will throw an error if they are not the proper dimensions and it will auto-add an alpha channel if it needs one. (iirc) =)

Status
Not open for further replies.