• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

added hero glow, got this error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Heya,

I added hero glow to a couple of models with RMS going by a youtube tutorial by Retera. pretty much just copy pasting.

most of the models were fine, but some of them had a bunch of these errors in the sanity tester afterwards:

"Vertex 68: Attached to object 4294967295 which does not exist"

How do I fix those?

thanks!

Edit: I noticed that these two models had "severe warnings" in the sanity tester before I added the glow, the glow just turned them into full blown map crashing Errors.

so it went from this:

Vertex 68: Attached to vertex group 40 which does not exist

to this:

Vertex 68: Attached to object 4294967295 which does not exist"

I would really appreciate any help as to how I can find the unattached vertexes and fix this, preferably in RMS
thanks!.

@Hermit @Retera 🙊

Last edited:
Level 29
Before the edit it seems like the vertex group of the 69th vertex (0-based) simply did not exist.
After the edit, it looks like RMS fixed that by attaching the vertex to nothing, which is -1 (4294967295 is equal to -1 in this context, just a signed/unsigned view of the same number).

Sadly it's still probably easiest to fix this by saving as MDL and changing it manually.

For example if you see:
Code:
VertexGroup {
}
That means that vertex 0 uses group 11, vertex 1 uses group 12, and so on.
These group indices point into the actual groups array, which looks like this:
Code:
Groups 35 54 {
        Matrices { 1 },
        Matrices { 2 },
        Matrices { 2, 3 },
        Matrices { 2, 3, 13 },
        Matrices { 2, 6 },
        Matrices { 2, 6, 13 },
        Matrices { 2, 13 },
        Matrices { 3 },
        Matrices { 3, 4 },
        Matrices { 3, 6 },
        Matrices { 3, 6, 13 },
        Matrices { 4 },
        Matrices { 4, 5 },
}
So vertex 0 uses group 11, which is {4} and vertex 1 uses group 12 which is {4, 5}.
These groups of numbers are indices of nodes in the model, and must refer specifically to bone nodes or the renderig glitches.
So really we are saying here that vertex 0 is attached to bone 4, and vertex 1 is attached to bones 4 and 5 (5th and 6th bones, still 0-indexing).

Following this, before the edit you can go to the vertex groups, find the 69th one, and change it from 40 to a group that exists.
After the edit, find the group that RMS attached the vertex to, and change the bone index from -1 to something that exists.

Note that the geoset declares how many groups there are, and how many total bone indices there are in all of them.
Update those numbers if you add/remove groups or add/remove bone indices from existing groups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.