• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

about hero glow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

just want to start a simple thread about hero glow problem for AoS map :)

is it really necessary to give a hero glow for a unit model that used as a hero?
and for what reason if it really necessary? and do you prefer it with or without a hero glow?

every answer will be given 1 rep :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

+rep for you good sir :)

more answer will be appreciated.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I agree with DEE-BOO, hero glow is to distinguish heroes from common units, as well it could be used for bosses.

To be honest, I was never a fan of these hero glows. If I finish my own map there won't be such for at least bosses, but something custom. One could think about emblems for example, as Etales RPG does it.

The problem with removing hero glow is that it heavily increases file size if you use default models.

If you create an AoS, you could also think about that common creeps will look the same, so heroes will fast be noticed as different kind of units.

Some popular AoS maps also use another way, adding permanently different and matching custom special effects for each of their heroes.

Level 12
Basically, it is just so the heroes stand out from other units. Adding the hero glow to regular units is mostly so that it is consistent - hero glow means it is a hero. In a map like DotA, if the soldier guys all look nothing like any of the heroes, there is no problem without hero glow. It would just be for the consistency, but it's not that important.

Keep in mind that heroes in the normal game might blend in with all the other units fighting. It really is just there to make them stand out since they are special units.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

thank you guys, i think i already solve this matter now. +rep for you guys.
no more rep for incoming answer, as this matter already solved

i think moderator can mark this thread as solved/close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.