• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Ability or hero contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
OMG i looked throught the finished contest and couldnt find an ability contest???? What is wrong with that I mean abilities are crucial part of WE itself.
What about that contests to be held???

Last edited:
Level 24
Well this really dosn't look like much of a contest, does it? And Abilities arn't a crucial part of the WE, ever tryed making a cinematic? Dont need many abilities for that do we? Also making spells isn't exactly the sought of thing I personaly would want to do for a contest, I hate doing just a little bit of object data as it is, let alone a whole spell :p

Level 4
Well this really dosn't look like much of a contest, does it? And Abilities arn't a crucial part of the WE, ever tryed making a cinematic? Dont need many abilities for that do we? Also making spells isn't exactly the sought of thing I personaly would want to do for a contest, I hate doing just a little bit of object data as it is, let alone a whole spell :p

Well yea we do not need spells for cinematics, that is true but amagian a WC3 without spells????

Personaly i dont like to do object editor either but it is wierd that no 1 spell contest hasnt been held, i mean on other forums there are allways at least some of them.

And yes i have tried making a cinematic and am pritty good at them. :grin:

Last edited:
Level 11
At this moment I am a bit busy with the JASS classes but if people are interested into a contest, I will certainly start rounds around here too (similar to those from wc3c yet perhaps a new system...). Spellmaking is my speciality after all and so, I don't see why not encouraging it.

~Daelin

Level 4
Well I like spellmaking too, just have one BIG problem. I dont know JASS so practicly il be out of the contest as soon as it starts but i would like to see what can othe people do.

Level 13
Well Without jass you can also make outstanding spells, only making them MUI is a problem, its possible, but it's really hard an quit a waste of time.

I would surely like to enter if one was made, and I have the approriate time for it.

Level 11
Well Without jass you can also make outstanding spells, only making them MUI is a problem
In some cases even impossible. And no, there are so many other advantages JASS has over GUI. The code is much more efficient, spells rarely lag (compared to GUI in which, hell, I've seen horribly lagging spells), you can reuse pieces of your code, importing is much easier, instead of multiple global triggers you can use only one/spell. Believe me, I've said this myself long time ago that JASS is no better than GUI just because of the MUI. Well, now I've completely changed my opinion about this. Learn JASS for a while, practice, and your opinion shall definitely change aswell.

~Daelin

Level 4
Can someone link here some good JASS tutorials for newbies, and dont tell me go to the tutorial section, just link it if it is good, coz there are whole bunch of JASS tutorials I dont understand

Level 13
In some cases even impossible. And no, there are so many other advantages JASS has over GUI. The code is much more efficient, spells rarely lag (compared to GUI in which, hell, I've seen horribly lagging spells), you can reuse pieces of your code, importing is much easier, instead of multiple global triggers you can use only one/spell. Believe me, I've said this myself long time ago that JASS is no better than GUI just because of the MUI. Well, now I've completely changed my opinion about this. Learn JASS for a while, practice, and your opinion shall definitely change aswell.

~Daelin

Ohw I wouldn't wanted to contradict that, since its true, but I was merely stating, that without jass it's still possible to make good looking abilities.

No doubt jass is supperiour over GUI, actually GUI runs on jass code (just pre-made templates of code made by blizzard), but its just made usser friendly so everyone could use it.

I think to start mapping with GUI is good, but for more sophisticated and complex things, I would advise using jass, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.