• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Ability Icon Priority

Level 7
When a unit is given more abilities that it has icon slots for, it still retains the ability but the icon gets pushed out of the UI and is no longer clickable or readable. Passives will continue to work.

What I have noticed is that there seems to be priority for which icons get pushed out, with some abilities being more likely to be removed or stay when extra abilities are added to a single unit. When some abilities are added to a unit that already has full icons, it won't even show up, but some abilities will show up and push an old ability out.

I don't want to know how to hide ability buttons, I'm already well aware of this. What I want to know is what determines the priority for which ability icons show up over others on a unit with more abilities than they have icon slots available. Thank you!

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I imagine it's based on the X/Y button positions. An X/Y value of 0,0 will be in the bottom left corner, so we can assume that's button slot 1. The top right corner is the opposite which is 3,2 -> button slot 12. It's safe to assume that the lower X/Y values will take precedence here.

Or maybe I got it backwards. Hopefully you understand either way.

Last edited: