• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Ability Doesn't Show Up In Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello,

This is a really, really basic question:

So I was going to pick up the Editor after a long time and just goof around, so I copied a normal creep unit (Frost Wolf) and then copied Command Aura (Neutral Hostile) with the intent of adjusting both so they'd be powerful enough to devastate a small army of Footmen.

However, when I loaded up the game to test, I found that my custom wolf didn't have the Command Aura ability at all.

The Object Editor lists it as present, and if I select the placed unit in editor, it lists Command Aura as being one of the unit's abilities.

The issue being I don't understand where I could have gone wrong, as I am literally approaching this in the most simplistic way possible.

Is this some sort of glitch I'm unaware of, or am I missing something really basic that I've forgotten in the years since I picked up the World Editor?

Thanks for your time.

Level 21
Works on my end,
copy pasted frost wolf, altered some values
copy pasted command aura, altered to increase damage by 50%
gave the new frost wolf the new command aura ability, working ingame.

Maybe you changed the 'targets allowed' field?

Level 2
Make sure the ability is set to valid X/Y command card coordinates. Some coordinate values will cause command card buttons to be hidden.

I would think that could bit it, but I've not changed their default coordinates. If I switch to the standard versions of the abilities, they show up fine.

Works on my end,
copy pasted frost wolf, altered some values
copy pasted command aura, altered to increase damage by 50%
gave the new frost wolf the new command aura ability, working ingame.

Maybe you changed the 'targets allowed' field?

I've not changed them, because I literally changed nothing at all. I simply copied and pasted the ability, then copied and pasted the frost wolf, then gave !copied! frost wolf the !copied! ability.

That is the complete list of changes I've made. Since my post I've tried this with multiple other abilities; and, with new maps. The current trend is that whenever I copy an ability to make changes to it, it refused to show up, either in the form of an icon, or in the form of any actual ability, when I load game.

That's why this is so baffling. It's something so basic that I'm forced to assume I made some really, really dumb mistake, or my game has somehow completely bugged out, or got corrupted.

Level 25
Are your map in a campaign map?
The test map function in the world editor doesn't properly work for campaign maps as it doesn't load the campaign data.

So for campaign maps you have to use load your campaign with the custom campaign menu.

Level 2
Alright, thanks everyone for your help.

I think I've found out, if not what caused it, then at least a way to make things work properly.

It turns out they work fine so long as I change the editor suffix of the copied ability. It's been so long since I picked up the editor that I cant' remember if that's how it always was.

At any rate, thanks, I think it's resolved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.