1. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

A wc3search purging is needed!

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Tiki, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Tiki

Tiki

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is just my opinion but I think wc3search needs to be purged along with all its files.

Its gotten to be full of way too much crap and I believe it needs to be removed.

I suggest darky or someone capable stop for the time being the ability to upload anymore so that all moderators can delete or remove all skins/models/icons/whatever that are horrible, wrong category, already used and the such.

I think it would help to speed the site up and also remove everything thats not needed and make browsing more easier when its not cluttered with all this crap.

I also had an idea to rebuild some of the sites css and html code to make it run more smoothly but thats up to darky.

So what are your thoughts on this, if you do agree I would like to be an icon moderator once again just for the hell of it, I feel like ive lost touch with this site ive been a member of for so long.

-- Also I dono if its been added but me and darky talked about an approval system. All files have to be approved by the moderator first before being added, if denied they are not added. Dono but is this implemented?

2. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ugh... Why can't you stop it guys with this begging? I understand that you are an veteran of this site, excellent icon maker, but I seriously haven't seen you recently online, and I don't like the fact that you seek a reason to get a mod. There are other ways to help!

For some sections, that type of approval is not necessary, such as icons. You can see icons immediately, and then if you don't like them, you can just remove them. For sections like maps, indeed, an approval would be fine, but it would mean more work for us.

I dunno what other mods think, but I will attempt tomorrow a purge of the spells section... Thanks for mentioning this, but for mod stuff, it's up to Veggie and oz02.

~Daelin

3. Tiki

Tiki

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Im not begging it just seems the current mods arent doing anything.

Also every section needs to be atleast 50% deleted of crap like skins and icons.

Besides that...

4. DeadDogNoGoWoof

DeadDogNoGoWoof

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    im purging the models section. but only the complete crap. i dont want to make wc3sear.ch an elitist model site. ive deleted about 30 so far and im a bit over halfway through.

5. Vexorian

Vexorian

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree, begin with Tiki's resources

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Skins&ID=64 : recolor ,crappy photshop filters

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Icons&ID=3274 : cnp
    http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Icons&ID=3273 : cnp
    http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Icons&ID=3258 : cnp
    http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Icons&ID=3257 : cnp

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=849`: too much polys, unoriginal

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=68 : cnp, recolor, uses custom skins but they aren't evenchanged in the mdx.

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Models&ID=75 : geoset merge

6. oz02

oz02

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow, after you were removed from moderator status because of complete lack of respect to the rules you dare to ask to become a moderator? That's pretty funny.

I agree with your approval idea, that uploads should be diabled for a couple days in order for the moderators to purge their respective sections idea and that the site should be rewritten code-wise, but most of these ideas have been discussed before and can't be done until Darky decides to join the site, so forget it.

7. Tiki

Tiki

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Go ahead and delete all my stuff, thats when I was beginning so it really doesnt bother me. I look at that stuff now and laugh.

Either way I respected the rules just no one followed them and always got mad at me when I deleted something.

8. VGsatomi

VGsatomi

Webmaster's Council

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thats quite common. You should see my collection of hate mail. I hold it with pride.

It would be kind of nice to have some downtime so we could go through every resourse piece by piece. But given how maps are (have to be installed and played instead of just examined in war3viewer), we'd have to devote the entire staff for that if we were to get that done in a reasonable ammount of time. I've played a great and many maps in the archive, but far from all of them.

An approval system would surley solve the influx of low quality material, but freely uploading was one of the things I realll liked about this site above the others, where you had to wait sometimes WEEKS until a moderator had the time to review and post your resourse. This place is very convinient. (that, and me being map mod, it would absolutely MURDER my poor yahoo inbox :wink: )
    -VGsatomi

9. Leopard

Leopard

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Agreed. Like VG said every single maps (along with spell and model, i think) needs more examination to conclude that resource is worthy on this site.

Well said, DDNGW, well said. People have to learn, so let him submit his first n ugly (not complete crap) resource, and everyone can give him constructive suggestions.

10. Tiki

Tiki

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    True maybe a weeks worth of no uploading could give people some time to remove some bad files.

11. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Tiki, the icons section needs more of a pure than any other section

Particularly those random 181 icons that oppoed up in there a few days ago that look like NOTHING in Warcraft

12. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ElfWarfare was online a while ago.... I thought he or she would delete all that crap.... I'm going to send a PM.
    @Tiki: We cannot purge wc3sear.ch without darky's permission. We don't know if Darky agrees or not. It's HIS site after all...

-Rui

13. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are a lot of icons which break the rules. Purging the site by removing those is more than enough. I have posted a list in the icon section... Hopefully ElfWarfare will remove stuff more accurately this time.

~Daelin

14. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes yes, icons against the rules can be deleted of course, but a complete PURGE on wc3sear.ch would be too much without Darky's permission. If that is going to be made, someone should try to contact Darky first.

-Rui

15. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nobody mentioned a complete purge. That's silly... Wc3sear.ch is well known because of the numerous resources it has. Removing ALL of them would be insane. Only resources against rules are to be deleted, resources unworthy to be hosted by this site.

~Daelin

16. Nasrudin

Nasrudin

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    At least he's offering to do something. Better than sitting there whithout doing a beeeep.

17. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You're insinuating that Oz02 is doing nothing? Watch it! I'm sick of you guys juding moderators because you feel like you have no one else to judge. What Tiki wants here is to become a mod. Nothing else! He had his chance, and he has proven unworthy. End of story!

We can't do anything anyway without an administrator to make people mods. All this blabla is for nothing!

~Daelin

18. DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    There's a reason behind the removal of Tiki's mod-status, as there's a reason for Rightfield being banned. Although Tiki is a great icon maker (that's my opinion), the mod-status doesn't really fit to him.

19. Nasrudin

Nasrudin

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Uh, exactly, what is it that he's doing? This site has no admin, very few moderators, and is still growing. A lot of section needing a good clean up. For instance, skin and icons. Who will moderate it? Ozo2? You need all the help you can get, but no no, mr Tiki is bad.

20. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is not the kind of help we need. People who offer to help, don't do this by asking to become mods. They do it by either providing links to already existant mods with resources breaking the rules, or with users breaking the rules.

And yeah, Tiki is bad... He wasn't good enough in the past, so he won't be now. As for icons, Juice_F said he would take care of it. I already gave him a list of bad icons. This is the kind of help I meant. I'm not a mod for icons section, but I can help by providing links and so, making the deletion easier. I see you come here only to judge us moderators, not to do anything. So if you don't have anything helpful to say (except MORE MODS!), shut up!

~Daelin