• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A unit gets a buff when attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Well, that depends if the unit has an orb effect already.
1) If it doesn't, then the easiest method you can use would probably be Orb of Lightning (New).
1) The first step would be to find the ability. Orb of Light (New) is an item ability. Make a custom ability of it and change it to a unit/hero spell.
2) Make a custom ability of Bloodlust.
3) On the Orb of Lightning ability that you made, add the Bloodlust spell to the field "Data - Effect Ability"
4) Add the Orb of Lightning (New) spell to your unit, and adjust any other fields on the spell. (If you want the bloodlust affect to happen every time, then set the fields "Data - Chance to hit whatever" to 100. and set the damage bonus to 0 if you don't want bonus damage.

Also, you would have to make 1 or 2 triggers, depending on how many units have this ability.
If only one unit has it, then you can do this
  • Attack Acquire
    • Events
      • Unit - YourUnit Acquires a target
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Attack (Targeted unit)
Otherwise you have to add another small trigger
  • Add Unit
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to YourUnit
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Add to Attack Acquire <gen> the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Acquires a target)
The only problem with this is when there's TOO many units that you want to have the spell. I don't know the details, but having too many events on a trigger crashes the game or something.

2) If your unit is using an orb effect already, then you would have to trigger it.
1) Create a dummy unit with a bloodlust ability
  • Bloodlust
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to YourUnit
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_P = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Bloodlust Caster for (Owner of (Attacking unit)) at Temp_P facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust (Triggering unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_P)
The main problem with doing it this way is that the unit can cancel its attack, but the trigger will still run, so a unit can be forever bloodlusted over and over again quickly.

3) The possibly last way would be to use a damage detection system. I don't have a way to show you the damage detection way at the moment, but if you want it, I can give it to you later.

Edit: I think I misread your problem, so #1 probably won't work for you. Just ignore that one. Sorry

Last edited:
Level 12
Well, that depends if the unit has an orb effect already.
1) If it doesn't, then the easiest method you can use would probably be Orb of Lightning (New).
1) The first step would be to find the ability. Orb of Light (New) is an item ability. Make a custom ability of it and change it to a unit/hero spell.
2) Make a custom ability of Bloodlust.
3) On the Orb of Lightning ability that you made, add the Bloodlust spell to the field "Data - Effect Ability"
4) Add the Orb of Lightning (New) spell to your unit, and adjust any other fields on the spell. (If you want the bloodlust affect to happen every time, then set the fields "Data - Chance to hit whatever" to 100. and set the damage bonus to 0 if you don't want bonus damage.

Also, you would have to make 1 or 2 triggers, depending on how many units have this ability.
If only one unit has it, then you can do this
  • Attack Acquire
    • Events
      • Unit - YourUnit Acquires a target
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Attack (Targeted unit)
Otherwise you have to add another small trigger
  • Add Unit
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to YourUnit
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Add to Attack Acquire <gen> the event (Unit - (Triggering unit) Acquires a target)
The only problem with this is when there's TOO many units that you want to have the spell. I don't know the details, but having too many events on a trigger crashes the game or something.

2) If your unit is using an orb effect already, then you would have to trigger it.
1) Create a dummy unit with a bloodlust ability
  • Bloodlust
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to YourUnit
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_P = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Bloodlust Caster for (Owner of (Attacking unit)) at Temp_P facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust (Triggering unit)
The main problem with doing it this way is that the unit can cancel its attack, but the trigger will still run, so a unit can be forever bloodlusted over and over again quickly.

3) The possibly last way would be to use a damage detection system. I don't have a way to show you the damage detection way at the moment, but if you want it, I can give it to you later.

Edit: I think I misread your problem, so #1 probably won't work for you. Just ignore that one. Sorry

Thanks. I need it to apply bloodlust to the attacked unit that lasts, lets say, 10 seconds, but can't be re-applied for the next 60 seconds. Also, when the unit gets the buff it doesn't stop doing what it's currently doing, if it's moving it continues to move.

Level 5
Ok, I think I got you on this one.
  • Bloodlust
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Attacked unit)) Equal to Almighty Runner
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_Unit = (Attacked unit)
      • Set Bloodlust_Boolean = False
      • For each (Integer Bloodlust_Loop) from 1 to Bloodlust_Loop_Max, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • Bloodlust_Boolean Equal to False
              • Temp_Unit Equal to Bloodlust_C[Bloodlust_Loop]
            • Then - Actions
              • Set Bloodlust_Boolean = True
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • Bloodlust_Boolean Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Set Temp_P = (Position of Temp_Unit)
          • Unit - Create 1 Bloodlust Caster for (Owner of Temp_Unit) at Temp_P facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust Temp_Unit
          • Set Bloodlust_Loop_Max = (Bloodlust_Loop_Max + 1)
          • Set Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop_Max] = 60.00
          • Set Bloodlust_C[Bloodlust_Loop_Max] = Temp_Unit
            • If - Conditions
              • Bloodlust_Loop_Max Equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Trigger - Turn on Bloodlust Timer <gen>
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
  • Bloodlust Timer
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop] = (Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop] - 0.05)
            • If - Conditions
              • Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop] Less than or equal to 0.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set Bloodlust_C[Bloodlust_Loop] = Bloodlust_C[Bloodlust_Loop_Max]
              • Set Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop] = Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop_Max]
              • Set Bloodlust_Loop = (Bloodlust_Loop - 1)
              • Set Bloodlust_Loop_Max = (Bloodlust_Loop_Max - 1)
                • If - Conditions
                  • Bloodlust_Loop_Max Less than or equal to 0
                • Then - Actions
                  • Trigger - Turn off Bloodlust Timer <gen>
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
This test map was sorta made in a rush, so it may or may not work right, and there could be useless junk like an extra folder.

Attachments

• Bloodlust.w3x
    14 KB · Views: 47
Level 12
Ok, I think I got you on this one.
  • Bloodlust
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • Bloodlust_Boolean Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Bloodlust Caster for (Owner of Temp_Unit) at Temp_P facing Default building facing degrees
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
  • Bloodlust Timer
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop] = (Bloodlust_Timer[Bloodlust_Loop] - 0.05)
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
This test map was sorta made in a rush, so it may or may not work right, and there could be useless junk like an extra folder.

Hmm. What I noticed is that from the start of the map the unit has "Endurance Aura" buff. And attacked there doesnt seem to be any difference. There is no sound or visual that tells you that the unit got the buff, not even the buff on it changes, it didn't get the bloodlust.

Level 5
Hmm. What I noticed is that from the start of the map the unit has "Endurance Aura" buff. And attacked there doesnt seem to be any difference. There is no sound or visual that tells you that the unit got the buff, not even the buff on it changes, it didn't get the bloodlust.

Hahaha, I knew I went wrong somewhere. When I first made this, I had less than 10 minutes (school lunch). Now I'm back at home and I already found all the problems you noticed.

• Bloodlust
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
  • Bloodlust Timer
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
In the first trigger, I set the wrong condition. It basically said "If the boolean is true, THEN DO actions. But it was suppose to be false to do the actions. There was a leak I forgot to clean, and the endurance aura buff is gone. I forgot to set it to no targets allowed.

The test map should be cleaner, and it should work now. If you want a cooldown to show for the 60 seconds, I think I could work that in if you want it.

Edit: Wow I'm off today. Wrong attachment added. The real test map should be call Bloodlust2.w3x

Attachments

• Bloodlust2.w3x
    14 KB · Views: 30
Level 12
Hahaha, I knew I went wrong somewhere. When I first made this, I had less than 10 minutes (school lunch). Now I'm back at home and I already found all the problems you noticed.

• Bloodlust
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
  • Bloodlust Timer
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
In the first trigger, I set the wrong condition. It basically said "If the boolean is true, THEN DO actions. But it was suppose to be false to do the actions. There was a leak I forgot to clean, and the endurance aura buff is gone. I forgot to set it to no targets allowed.

The test map should be cleaner, and it should work now. If you want a cooldown to show for the 60 seconds, I think I could work that in if you want it.

Edit: Wow I'm off today. Wrong attachment added. The real test map should be call Bloodlust2.w3x

Thanks. That seems to work perfectly(on your map). I will credit you (and others that helped me on the hive) in the new version of my map if all works well :D

Last edited:
Level 12
Alright. I tested it and I can't get it to work. I will upload my map and you can open it and look into the triggers and such. I hope you can find the problem because i can't. I changed that the Bloodlust Caster doesnt have an attack and doesnt have a shadow, so he doesnt attack my buildings. I also made a trigger that you can send creeps to yourself and the Ogre (The unit that is the one that i want the ability on) is sendable from the start of the game. (2nd tier shrine). Use greeisgood for gold and send 1 ogre and when your towers attack him he doesn't get the buff. I looked around if I made any mistakes but I am not sure where it is. Thanks for all your help, really close to completing the trigger :ogre_haosis:

Attachments

• Shango TW Winter Edition V3.0.w3x
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
Level 5
Ok, I found your problem. You gave the dummy unit the wrong bloodlust ability. :goblin_boom:

There are 5 different bloodlusts in your map. Any of those that you are using you should name more specifically so you can find them easier. The copy I have I renamed the right Bloodlust to "Bloodlust XL Infinity DLX".

What I think went wrong was that you gave the dummy unit the orc bloodlust ability, which has a requirement to it, and of course can't be casted.

I tried it out now, and it works just fine. :)

For the record, This looks really interesting, and I hope you continue to finish this!

Attachments

• Shango TW Winter Edition V3.0.w3x
    1.8 MB · Views: 75

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You should rather trigger it when the unit is damaged. Otherwise just the act of a catapult >1,000 units away beginning to attack (not even firing) will cause the unit to get bloodlust. It also allows you to trigger it off ability damage (unlike currently where abilities will not trigger it which could be exploited).

Level 4
If the Ogre already is in the map or it will exist only once you can use this ;)

• Ogre Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - The Ogre 0001 <gen> Takes damage
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
      • Set Ogre_Point = (Position of The Ogre 0001 <gen>)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Triggering player) at Ogre_Point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add BloodLust to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust The Ogre 0001 <gen>
      • Countdown Timer - Start Ogre_Timer to expire in 60.00 seconds, as a One-shot timer, performing (Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)) upon expiration.

And you use this Ogre Cast in case the unit is not existing in the map already, BUT ONLY if you will produce ONE AND NO MORE OGRES

• Ogre Appears
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to The Ogre
    • Actions
      • Set The_Ogre = (Entering unit)
      • Trigger - Add to Ogre Cast <gen> the event (Unit - The_Ogre Takes damage)

Level 12
You should rather trigger it when the unit is damaged. Otherwise just the act of a catapult >1,000 units away beginning to attack (not even firing) will cause the unit to get bloodlust. It also allows you to trigger it off ability damage (unlike currently where abilities will not trigger it which could be exploited).

That is really interesting, and you are right. I saw that it gets the buff before it takes damage. The problem is the only "Unit takes damage" I found was in "Unit Specific Event", which, i guess, can't be used. Not sure how to do it.

Level 12
If the Ogre already is in the map or it will exist only once you can use this ;)

• Ogre Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - The Ogre 0001 <gen> Takes damage
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Ogre_Point = (Position of The Ogre 0001 <gen>)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Triggering player) at Ogre_Point facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add BloodLust to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust The Ogre 0001 <gen>
      • Countdown Timer - Start Ogre_Timer to expire in 60.00 seconds, as a One-shot timer, performing (Trigger - Turn on (This trigger)) upon expiration.

And you use this Ogre Cast in case the unit is not existing in the map already, BUT ONLY if you will produce ONE AND NO MORE OGRES

• Ogre Appears
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to The Ogre
    • Actions
      • Set The_Ogre = (Entering unit)
      • Trigger - Add to Ogre Cast <gen> the event (Unit - The_Ogre Takes damage)

Thanks, but the ogre isn't in it from the start, and he can be spawned infinitely

Level 12
Status
Not open for further replies.