1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A terrain generator?

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by troll_doc, Nov 4, 2007.

1. troll_doc

troll_doc

Resources:
    Resources:
    this might fit jass or triggers as well but this seems suitable as well.
    Is there anyway you can have the game generate fairly decent terrain by a command?

2. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    What exactly do you want it to do? There is this.

• Untitled Trigger 001
      • Events
        • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing change as An exact match
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Environment - Change terrain type at (Center of (Playable map area)) to Lordaeron Summer - Dirt using variation -1 in an area of size 6 and shape Circle

You can also place doodads by making them destructibles and creating them.

• Untitled Trigger 001
      • Events
        • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing change as An exact match
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Destructible - Create a Summer Tree Wall at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation 0

3. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That type of way suck IMO, Gilles, I think he means to create an entire terrain field, too. But, yeah, it's possible.
    And Dillbert posted the trigger.

4. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    It does suck, but it's the only way I know of. Dillbert posted what trigger? Who's Dillbert? The comic character?

5. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hereto did.
    What the hell this IS more than 15 chars! D:

6. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A terrain generator? I've attempted making one of these several times. Though you'd pretty much have to trigger each part of the terrain and the player would have to command each trigger some how, either through text or dialogues. Maybe some other way. Hard to make and requires a lot of time. Good luck!
    ~Craka_J

7. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What I think would be cool is having invisible dummies, then when the player types "scene 2", etc, the scene would change, doodads and terrain carefully placed.

8. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What about an in-game World Editor? Wouldn't that be neat? Being able to create your world and play in it at the same time? Sounds awesome IMO.
    ~Craka_J

9. gavdaman88

gavdaman88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I made a changing terrain map where the camera flies around and you can type in weather such as snow, light, night, firestorm, thunder, thunderstorm and rainstorm. I got bored because... well the map doesn't have much of a point in the end.

10. nightelf_frenzy

nightelf_frenzy

Resources:
    Resources:
    i think its just triggers like put destructible tree somewhere where u want when p1 says hello as an exact match

11. gavdaman88

gavdaman88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You could make units with abilities like 'place tree' in game maybe. Basically like the tree summoning spell in dota, but the trees don't go away. Actually that could be fun, a map where you and your friend shape the earth... a god map :p now this gives me an idea!

12. Supermj

Supermj

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am currently making a free random terrain generator for WC3. You should see its beta thread in map development soon.

13. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will be sure to test it out. :wink:
    ~Craka_J

14. iron_warrior

iron_warrior

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:

Oh man, that's an awsome idea Craka. You could have like two teams, and each one would have to make a challange for the other team to surpasse or something...you'd be able to play doodads, units, terrain height, tilesets, special effects, and each thing would cost a certain amount of gold to buy, so there'd be a limit. Then the other team would spend their money on units and they'd have to attack and beat the challange. You'd be able to choose from a bunch of game types, like capture the flag, AoS...

iron_warrior snaps back to reality

Whew. Close one.

15. Supermj

Supermj

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  16. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Needs better tile variation and doodad variation.
    ~Craka_J

17. Supermj

Supermj

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I will add more terrain detail when I have some of the bugs fixed.