• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Small Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11

A Small Adventure
35lw7ev.jpg

Document-icon.png
In Development
SwordAxe-icon.png
Singleplayer RPG
Video-icon.png
~30min playtime
The two friends Arhel and Aela set out on a small
adventure which takes a turn for the worse.

Key Features
sword-icon.png
Customized combat system using the ordinary system in a new innovative way.
Music-2-icon.png
Atmospheric background music with a fitting theme made by Kevin MacLeod (Creative Commons).
Ebook-icon.png
Interesting synergy between professions and combat as well as storyline.
ele-Forest-icon.png
Simple and cheerful, yet adorable terrain.
ele-thunder-icon.png
Abilities that provide strengths and weaknesses to all foes, including lesser foes.
Information
Hero-icon.png
This map started when I stumbled across GreyArchon's runecaster model [view]. In my mind I had a vague idea about how I wanted her to be a complex unit but still not a hero. I began browsing for lovely icons and found some that I liked. Ideas sprung from these and I started to get an idea of how I wanted the unit to play out. After some changes and a bit of tweaking I finally got solid results. Aela the Herbalist was born!

But the herb-brewing, rune-casting dwarf was lonely. A unit is rarely happy by itself so I figured a friend would be nice. Back to the model section I went. Soon I found the mighty dwarven paladin, also made by GreyArchon [view]. The process repeated itself; icons, changes, tweaking. And finally, Arhel the Blacksmith was born!

Then the next question arose. What will these two fellows do? Surely we cannot let such fine dwarves just sit around doing nothing. This is how the development thread for their adventure was forged.
Heroine-icon.png
A Small Adventure takes place in a playful snowy landscape. But something is amiss. Arhel's father still hasn't come home even though he had promised to be back two nights ago. Arhel is getting worried. His friend Aela offers to help Arhel find his father.

On their way they face various dangers and friends. Including but not limited to a hill giant, two ghosts, wolves, a bear and trolls!

I have more lore planned but I'm not sure I should reveal it. In case you think I should; let me know.
*Contains spoilers.

Progress
Concept[//////////]
Characters[//////////]
Professions[//////////]
Enemies[//////////]
Terrain[//////////]
Screenshots
All images you see are subject to change.

In-game screenshots of the starting village. Unmodified and taken from normal camera view.
pic1.pngpic2.pngpic3.png

Last edited:
Level 12
This looks awesome. Absolutely love how you laid out your project, unlike most of the existing threads in Map Development. This layout beats most of them by a mile.

Terrain looks good. I like the idea of a simple & short SRPG, not the typical "epic", "massive" and "heroism" kind of thing. This is different, which is good. Eager to see what you have to show.

Level 9
A little map, but contains massive gameplay that outruns other maps. Indeed. This is a great map. Though a few notes:

-> Please LET it have revival system. Other SPRGs (though I finished) have to save manually, and I hate that (*coughIhaveaslowcomputercough*).

-> Music theme will change when you battle.

-> Various endings (happy, OMFG what's that ending, twisted ending etc.)

-> Easter eggs. Maybe a stormtrooper out of nowhere?

-> Mini-games. Like the Thrall Campaign ( I forgot what's the name of the campaign ).
-----
Yeah. When this map comes out, Count me in for beta testing.

Level 11
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@Arcisal: I like making things pretty! (Makes me a bit scared when I realize I spent an hour refining already functional abilities' tooltips o_O)

@Da Fist: These are very good points. I'll take them into consideration.

EDIT: @Drunken_Jackal: Yes you are right. I may have to create some custom textures for the tiles simply because the textures on the doodads are so well done.

I wish for the combat to be a challenge for most mobs you face. In most other games you scale with levels/stats/etc and so does the enemies. This is not what I want here. The only way for the player's characters to get stronger is through a few items which grant minor improvements and most of them are temporary. Other than that there is no progression in terms of statistic bonuses.

Instead I want the difficulty of the game to get progressively more difficult on a skill basis. Which basically means if you are very skilled you can kill a dangerous mob earlier than otherwise, and vice versa.

It's rather quick-paced currently (Note that it's not just the enemies that die fast, you do as well). I wish to slow it down a bit for larger engagements so that you have time to consider tactical options. But in general it will remain rather quick (much faster than the normal warcraft combat).

Let me know if I should elaborate something further :)

Last edited:
Level 28
EDIT: @Drunken_Jackal: Yes you are right. I may have to create some custom textures for the tiles simply because the textures on the doodads are so well done (good job Kobas).

Those are wow rips, if you just need to be enlighten.

Dunno, but I really find this thread cute, I love those cute images you added. Looking forward for more updates. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.