• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A simple 3 player Lan raid series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Heya fellow Hivers and others.
Vlad727 here.

I have had a knack for creating and brain-tanking for as long as I can remember.
Been making games since I was 7, however I never got to finish stuff.
But that is because I always work on a scale that is just to much to handle.
Therefore I came up with this, smaller raid maps for 3 players.

I Already made some starts with writing and collecting some resources, but I was hoping to get some feed back from my beloved hive.

I would like to talk about classes and roles.
We all know the divine trinity of tank, heal, and DPS.
We are all well to familiar with the standard RPG classes.
I myself try to add my own flavour to the basics, and as a D&D player I would like to add something.

There are 4 types of roles within a party, each hero gets a rating in how well they preform
that role. A tank is not just a tank, tanking just happens to be what he is best at.

Roles:

The 4 types are:
Controller: They control the flow of combat by creating fields that damage/weaken/block enemies, or heal/protect/empower allies. Controllers are important for they can affect the performance of the whole group and create situations that favour the party.
Defender: They make sure the weaker group members are not harmed (Simple concept, but hard to achieve with strikers around). Most of their skills focus on bolstering defensive abilities or generating threat.
Leader: They are the main healers of any group, though not always active like wow, leaders grant beneficial buffs to single targets by attacking or other actions. They are the main support of your party. When I day passive healing I mean the following: "A Cleric uses his Lance of Faith power, it deals damage to a single target, as a secondary effect it applies a buff on the target that heals any who attack it by %INT for 5 seconds" As you can see if a party member needs healing the cleric just has to pick the target of that ally in order to heal him, while still dealing damage on its own.
Striker: The equivalent of the DPS, though Stikers also work to weaken the target so that it becomes easier to slay. Be that by muscle, mind, or magic. The debuffs from Striker, unlike those of the Controller, are mainly to weaken ones defences.

Skill/Action types

Now that we have covered the roles I would like to introduce the skill mapping, before we dive into classes and all.
As with the roles D&D has also influenced my approach to skill types.
Both in the type, cool-down, and quantity.

There are 2 sort of skill types:
Utility: The powers that are situation based and do no direct damage in any form, but rather enhance or improve the parties situation. A small mana-regen on an ally, a chain slow on a group of enemies, a Frozen prison that traps/protects a group etc.
Standard: Standard Actions are the most numerous, the deal damage and are used to kill your foes, as simple as that. Most have a secondary if not a tertiary effect. That means that exciting combinations can be created for special occasions, or specific tough enemies.

There are 3 Action types:
At-Will:The so called spam skills, most with a cool-down set between the 0.00 and the 5.00 seconds. The hardly deal damage, but usually apply an effect to hinder, or boost the target/user. Every class has 2 At-Will powers placed at the "Z" and the "X"
Encounter: Stronger spells than the At-will ones, slightly comparable to the standard warcraft skills of a hero. These skills pack quite a punch and always have a sweet secondary effect. However their cool-down ranges between the 8.00 and the 20.00 seconds. which means you are likely to use them one time per creature at best. So do not spam them, but do not refrain from using them when needed. Encounter powers have the Hotkeys: "C" and the "V".
Daily: The Ultimate skills, The type you create splendid combo's with, or just turn the tide of any battle. Powerful but with a cool-down ranging between the 30.00 and the 120.00 seconds. These powers are for the most dire situations and bosses, likely to only be used once per mini-boss (and maybe 2 times on a final boss) Their hotkey is the "G" so accidental activation is nearly impossible ;)

And finally:
Each class also has 2 Utility powers which, depending on the magnitude, have a cool-down ranging from At-Will to Daily. Their hotkeys are "D" and the "F".

Classes:

The Map will contain multiple classes, I try to make them unique while
still clinging to the familiars. Because we do not want you guys to read
the name of a class and be think "all right nice and all but what is it..."
So therefore the class will feel familiar but slightly more complicated.

Do know that we are trying to create a buff system that works on combo's
Stuff like; "Targets with bleeding take extra damage when poisoned"
It is a form of buff fusion.
However it is you who needs to discover what works and what doesn't.
We try to make all classes compatible with all other classes.

my Rating on the roles works as following:
1. I have 10 points to spend on each class, no exceptions
2. 1 star is the worst, while 5 stars is best.
3. Every class has 1 star is each role, so we start with all 1 star with 6 left to spend.

but now the classes:

1. Alchemist: A magi who was incapable of casting the simplest spells.
Instead of abandoning his dreams he turned to alchemy to do the casting for him.
Alchemists utilize traps, poisons, toxins, and potions.
Their health is low and their armor light.
They therefore prefer a more kitting style of combat,
harassing the foe while trying not to create to much aggro.
Buffing allies with beneficial concoctions, or creating large AOE fields.
Controller:***
Defender:*
Leader:***
Striker:***

2. Battlemage: Also known as the graymage.
Battlemages are melee fighters and short/mid ranged casters.
With spell and blade or mace they support the front line.
While most magi use elemental magicks, the conversion of spirit
energy to a natural force. The Battlemage utilizes arcana, the pure
volatile spirit energy that is alien in our natural world.
Since the energy is not converted to a natural substance,
the range of the spells is limited, but all the more deadly.
Battlemages also use runes, a trap like magic set-up that
sustains it's self.
Controller:**
Defender:**
Leader:**
Striker:****

3. Cleric: Clerics are members from the holy order, they seek to purge the world of all evil.
Striking down the wicked, healing the sick, and guarding the innocent.
Clerics use prayers that channels their spirit energy into lifeforce or energy.
Their spells shield, heal, boost allies. Their other spells mark, burn,
and pacify any who might harm them.
Their most powerful prayers create sanctuaries where allies can make a last stand,
enemies would be wise not to enter these holy circles.
Controller:***
Defender:*
Leader:*****
Striker:*

The next batch of 3 will be posted soon, sry for the wait :/

Please tell me what you guys think so far, I will edit this later and talk more about the classes. Feel free to post Ideas for Items and skills or fights in any way you see fit.

I am open to suggestions.

If you would like to help me shape these idea's and plans into a map series then please send me a PM, I would find it real cool to be able to give the hive a raid map collection (^W^)

Last edited:
Level 10
To me this sounds quite interesting and fun. It's also nicely written.

I like the fact that you thought about the role of each character and I also like how it came out.
Maybe you can explain the Striker further. I've only got a vague vision of it.

I'ld see to like some progress and I'ld already know of some friends to play it with.
I really appreciate games that are meant to be played with a small group of friends. Hopefully you'll give us more materia to check out.

Looking forward to it.

Level 5
Maybe you can explain the Striker further. I've only got a vague vision of it.

The descriptions have been updated, hope this helps create a clear image of the roles.
Will post the classes later today, and improve the description of the skill types and action types.

Edit:
I added some classes, more will be added as we speak (uhm chat I guess xD)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.