• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Question about Texture Rips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'm making a model from the Legend of Zelda called the Majora's Mask.
I had no textures to make the model accurate so I went ahead and used the one from the actual game.

Is this against any rules? The model itself is made from 100% scratch. Can someone tell me if it is okay?

If you are making it to use in a map that you'll submit here, then it is fine! From here:
8. External Imports
The use of external materials from sources outside of Warcraft III is only permitted if the under which they are released allows it, or it can be classified as Fair Use.
- Any material created by Blizzard Entertainment can safely be used.
- If they are released without terms / license, having permission from the author is preferred but not required, because the original author has full rights to have it removed.
- The Hive Workshop deems the usage of copyrighted material in maps Fair Use as long as the map does not take value away from the source (e.g. a game) and the usage is non-profitable.

We're pretty lenient about maps using copyright material--mostly because it is difficult to check for (without automated tools) and because mapping should be fun and fluid (especially since maps are free!).

However, model submissions are a little more restricted. From here:
If the model has any custom textures, they must adhere to the texture/skin submission rules.

In the texture submission rules, you have to have at least 75% freehand work for it to be accepted. We make exceptions case-by-case, but I wouldn't rely on that. We're not going to ban you for it or anything extreme like that, but mods might ask for you to create your own texture. :)

Level 14
If you are making it to use in a map that you'll submit here, then it is fine! From here:

We're pretty lenient about maps using copyright material--mostly because it is difficult to check for (without automated tools) and because mapping should be fun and fluid (especially since maps are free!).

However, model submissions are a little more restricted. From here:

In the texture submission rules, you have to have at least 75% freehand work for it to be accepted. We make exceptions case-by-case, but I wouldn't rely on that. We're not going to ban you for it or anything extreme like that, but mods might ask for you to create your own texture. :)
Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm not going to make my own texture, (because I don't know how) so I hope I can get someone to make it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.