• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A New Siege Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I thought of a new Map giving you a Real Siege-Expierience though not commanding lame and boring single Units but a whole Troops of them.
I'm a great fan of Siege and defense maps but every single one I played where I was able to control the besieging Force was kinda lame and boring to me (no offence as I said I love Siege and defence maps) 'cause I was able of only controling 12 Units at once.

Now my Ideas where basically 3:

-1st don't devide the forces into "attackers" and "defenders" but making every player doing both. (like in a melee map)
-2nd Make the Walls of your Castle actually destructable so that you don't have everytime these annoying cliffs that you can't get over with your Ground-Units.
-3rd Make the Player able to control a really "Force" of Units that can actually besiege a Castle instead of only 12 at once Players should be able of controlling like 100 Units at once.

And as I thought a bit about how to improve this I thought about a more "realistic" Tech system:
-Each and Every City has to make it's own researches and will only affect that particular City.

To get more Action and fun into this map I decided to make this a 4-8 maybe 12 Player map and if I get a positive Feedback upon Beta release I will create a AI.
I also Think I'll add some more interesting ways of getting recources then just chopping wood and mining gold.

For now I need some help at terraining.
Maybe someone writing some sort of Story.
I'll take care of Spells and Systems but I could need some help here too.
And I'm searching for someone having fun at modelling^^;
I could also need somebody creating all the Units, Spells, Buildings, etc. in object-editor; but this must wait for now or I'll just do it on my own^^;
Skinners and Icon-Makers are welcome too but this will be a later on task;
Everyone who got Ideas or wants to be ALPHA/BETA Tester is welcome in the Project Team too

Team MembersOccupation
GrantuuLEAD and Triggers
NewominusBeta Tester
supertoinkzBeta Tester
tjordellTriggers
ArnaudBTriggers
HailFireerModeller
warman45R&D Department
Uzumaki.MinatoAnimations and MPI stuff^^
HardOnTester and Storyline

FEATURES:
-Troop commanding System
-Ally/Unally System
-Levelable Troops
-Custom abilities
-4 Races (Night elf; Orc; Human; Undead) and maybe some more^^
-Mighty Heroes to improve your army
-Fully destructable Castle
-Custom Tech System
-Epic Battleground
-Custom Recource gattering
-AI??

This Project doesn't have a Name jet so if anyone got a nice Idea please tell me^^
I'll post some Screenies in the next few days.

Last edited:
Level 6
the most important thing to do is ensure that each base is so massively fortified that attacking it will be nearly impossible unless you have 10:1 odds, this will require players to try and cut off external resources (food lumber) as a means of reducing the abillity for the deffenders to build forces, therby allowing you to get 10:1 ratios

Level 6
@warman45: you're right^^

@Grey Nightmare: good to know Thanks^^

@blindman: I thought about when the main building is destroyed the Base will be conquered and the Player has lost if it his his last Base.
When conquered the Base will rebuild in Tier 1 of the Race of the Player who coquered.

EDIT 2: Attention Hive-members I'm still searching for Team-Members especially for Modellers.
Naturally everyone is welcome in the Team.
So everyone who want's to get a Beta soon can help us getting the Project that far

Last edited:
Level 6
WOOOOPPPPPIIIEEE I'M RIGHT!

ya....*clears throat* sorry im not a good moddeler but i can come up with a ton of ideas especially related to siege weapons. i can be you're R&D department =)

p.s. im geussing you're thinking of there being 2 castles one for the attacker and one for the deffender, both will be symetrical and it will end up just being footmen frenzy. i suggest making the terrain Asymetrical, giving each city it's own advantages (one is nestled in a mountain, deffended on more sides but harder to supply.)

as we'll i would avoid just building the castles, make them independant city-states (they existed in a lot of places in central europe during the medieval-renaisance era's)

each city-state would have the central city and a few villages, these villages would be near the edge of the cities influence and would supply it with metal's, food, wood. they would spawn caravans that would head to the city (along long elaborate paths)

another thing to pay attention to is unit recruitment. do not use build time as a limiting factor, to explain this would require far too many words for midnight. instead, make the armies cheap and quick to produce, however you may either build mercenaries or militia, militia are better if recruited over longer periods of time, however you can mass produce militia (this will reduce moral) the castle walls should increase archer range.

siege weapons shouldn't be used for attacking infantry. cavalry should overwhelm mercenaries and weak militia but strong militia can beat them (the reason cavalry are effective is because people run but veterans do not run!) supplies should be stored in the city for use. the less food per person the more starvation the less quality of troops. the higher the percentage reqruited the more resentfulll the less the quality of the troops. the less money the more likely thew mercenaries will just leave (ungratefull)

there are many factors effecting a siege, all the siege maps thusfar have failed to emulate a siege because most people ignore them. they just say "one persons got a city the other dont so its a siege" they also comwe to the conclusion that a battle in a city is a siege, they are all wrong (not to say there games aren't fun but they aren't sieges)

Level 6
wow pretty much you suggesting here^^

-I already thought of making castles look different so they got their advantages/disadvateges also I was thinking about a similar recource system like you said (getting recources by sending out traders and caravanes)

-I wanted to make the whole thing in a WC3 Theme so I don't think the smaller cities will have much influence here but I also wount leave them out^^

-I woun't do the thingy with the Moral and starving of Soldiers and villagers 'cause this would be a bit too complicated and too realistic i still want to have it simple

-I quess I also will keep the buildtimer for Troops 'cause they need to be Trained and that takes some time^^ (but I might place some sort of Mercenary-System so Players can get units quick in a limited amount too^^)

-I'm also not sure jet if I'll make the Walls of the Cities walkable 'cause they should be destructable thus making them Doodads or Units but if I make 'em walkable the'll increase the Archers range^^

-I'm currently working on a nice controll Panel for the Troops to set things like offensive normal and defensive stance (increasing/decreasing certain values)
-This control Panel should also set a Troops priority in the corpse so changing this will influence if a Troop will stand in first second or third line giving more tactical possibilitys

Hope I didn't left any point out^^

I'm not sure what you mean by R&D department but if you tell me what it means I surely will get some task for you^^

WHAT? I JOINED A MAP ALMOST THE SAME AS MINE? wtf

Well, not really the same, but almost the same (o_O)
Things I don't have that you have:
  • Troop commanding System { I used the normal one }
  • 4 Races (Night elf; Orc; Human; Undead) and maybe some more^^
  • Mighty Heroes to improve your army
  • Custom Recource gattering

Things you don't have that I have:
  • One king, and he's very strong, but it can't last long, if he die, you lose.
  • 3 Races; the Empire, the Brigands, and the {unnamed}.
  • Walls - well, they are already built in the start of the map, you can use them for your advantage.
  • Custom Missile System for units who are ranged (except siege units but ballista is counted).
  • NO MAGIC. :D
  • 6 Types of Resources; Morale, Population, Crop, Wood, Stone, Iron.
  • Custom sight system.
  • Custom trading system
  • Horse Riding System

Good luck to you, LET THE BATTLE BEGIN :D

Level 6
hm.... OK I quess I'l first tell you how i think the races should be build up basically^^

Each Race will have 11 Units including:

1 Kind of Battering ram Unit
1 Kind of Ballista
at least:
1 sort of melee, ranged, spellcasting, flying Unit
and one of the Units should be an Elite Unit that you can only train in Tier 3 this can be one of those types i listed (melee, ranged, spellcasting, flying Unit) or combining 2 or more of those^^

I quess it's best to let you surprise me but this is the way I already thought of the Units for nightelves,human,orcs and undead.

Status
Not open for further replies.