• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Merchant's Life

Would you say this is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I know this forum is loaded with ideas for RPGs, but I doubt any of them are like the one I want to make. When I was playing an old version of LOAP, I got the idea to make an RPG where you're a merchant and you use intellect and skill to progress instead of just fighting through hordes of enemies. The idea of fighting so much sounds appealing, but most of the time it's actually pretty bland. I figured that it would be a good idea to make a more intelligence-based game. Here are some ideas I had for it:

- NPCs that you can interact with.
- A plot to follow that requires intellect and cunningness.
- A single objective to work towards.
- Energy system that requires you to rest at the end of a ingame day.
- Skills for your merchant to use.
- Relation between merchant and other traders.

I have a lot of other ideas, but these are my favorite. The thing is, though, that the game won't be based on fighting. The only enemies you'll really fight are bandits and wildlife. I want to know if it seems interesting enough to play or if the majority of the people here prefer to just brutally kill monsters. That's all I have to say for now, somebody please give me an honest opinion.

Level 9
Hello. You'we got a nice idea over there, however my vote is No. The reason is simple: people nowadays enjoy HnS(Hack and Slash) which is permanent action and tension, which requires permanent activity and may even raise your adrenaline level. Unfortunately other ideas are low-played. The idea is good, but it will never get popular. Sorry.

Level 2
Hello. You'we got a nice idea over there, however my vote is No. The reason is simple: people nowadays enjoy HnS(Hack and Slash) which is permanent action and tension, which requires permanent activity and may even raise your adrenaline level. Unfortunately other ideas are low-played. The idea is good, but it will never get popular. Sorry.

I get what you mean completely, and I find it pretty sad. It's one of the reasons I wanted to try making something unique.

Level 17
One thing you should think of: stay on your way, in the old times, dota's maker (not icefrog, it's eul) make a bad-very imba-lacking terrain game named dota (i played the v 1.00 XD), now look, the dota has 3 copy: LoL, HoN, and DotA2, so, keep your interest on!

Level 7
I like this idea, however it needs to be centered around hack/slash battles for it to work. For example check Elder Scrolls Oblivion 5 demo videos. They have jobs in it but they also have kick ass battles. The only reason doing a job in an rpg would be worthwhile would be if it help'd get better items or money, but thats an issue cause it could mean you can just farm(get gold) in the rpg by only doing work(something somewhat meaningless) rather than killing giant bosses etc. So it's up to you to sorta figure out some downsides from living in a cityslicker job rather than slaying monsters. Like think professions in WoW, they end up costing you more gold then anything to lvl the skills up but eventually at very high levels they start to pay off.

Level 2
Thanks for your honest opinions. I've thought of a few ways to add in the hack'n'slash concept.

1. Battle mercanaries and bandits during the time you travel.
2. Fight with threatening wildlife creatures.
3. Add some fights against rival guild and members.

It isn't much more, but I think it'll still be pretty good. The game will still focus more on what a normal merchant would do, but will have a bit more combat. Still trying to think of a more appealing name.... Well, thanks for your comments. Gave me some ideas.

Last edited:
Level 15
Well it could be good as even if ppl like HnS Harvest Moon is still a top seller ;) You need an advanced but easy-to-understand trading system for this, something wich would make it all worth-while. Oh, and you MUSt have a caravan system - one which you not control but lead, or simply just send on its way. You should hire guards for you and for your caravan, and if you're rich enough, you could found a new trading town. The goal could be like "Get enough money to buy the kingdom buy paying 1g for every pound of every living human in it" :D

Level 2
The big question (forgive me if Ive missed the answer) is if this is single or multiplayer.

Sorry, I guess I did forget to mention that. It's going to be single player. I'm still putting together the trading system, but it's a lot more fun then I thought it'd be. As for caravans, I already know that I'm gonna need them. Thanks again for your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.