• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A mapmaker's Call-To-Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I have recently come back from the amazing and massive game for Xbox... Morrowind, and I thought: "What if someone created a Morrowind campaign for Warcraft III?" Then I continued thinking about it... and thought mostly of the challenges and impossibilities of the project, and well.. I decided to try it out. I would appreciate any mapmakers with talent in any field(s) to help me on this... massive... project.

Fields needed:

-- People skilled in triggering
-- People skilled in JASS triggering
-- People skilled in modeling and skinning
-- People skilled with working with UIs
-- People skilled in making landscapes (terrain)

Requirements:
-- Must have either played Morrowind or watched someone play it
-- Must be open-minded and creative

Please post your skills and your "skill"/place(quest or percent of game done) in this topic .

People currently working on project:
Dragon_Lord
N00byStance

Send any questions to (Removed on Authors Request)

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
hmm what you want to do sounds awesome, but do you know how long it will take to complete? months.
Morrowind would map a very good map i agree, its a good idea. but make it on a smaller scale, maybe an Epic rpg or sumthing?

Level 5
I agree it could take months or even years to make, but I have time. The main quest itself could take forever with the "With this character's death, you have doomed this world and something or other" and other precautions and plot turn-arounds. Also, there is the amount of "extra" quests to take note of. I mean really.. theres at least two-hundred faction quests, not to mention the smaller "talk to this person and tell me what they say" quests. Theres also a possibility that we could add onto this campaign with another campaign or two... so to speak expansion packs –– Tribunal and Bloodmoon, which also have their immense amount of quests. So yes, we will have to shorten the game quite a bit, but I want to more or less keep the feel of morrowind and the do-what-you-want nonlinear gameplay. I also prefer to keep it as a campaign and not some epic rpg such as... oh... fforpg or ff4ever. And yes, I also know how large the file size would be. Oh and another thing... there also might be a slight problem with the in-game map and the massive amount of traveling you need to do, and also the ancestral tombs and whatnot. This could prove to be a problem... but we can most likely find a work-around or a way to actually do it. Feel free to post ideas or comments in this topic.

Oh, and in my first post when I had said that it was required for you to have some knowledge of Morrowind... scratch that. I've just realized that I might not get enough map makers to make this thing work with that requirement imposed. So, any mapmaker that wishes to help... please do so.

Dragon_Lord

Edit: I'll also try to get our own web-board for this, provided we get enough people to do this project. Also, could anyone who agrees to help me post a little note saying something around the lines of "I agree to help" or "I'll help you", and a way to contact you whether its email or an IM program. Thanks.

Level 5
Well frankly, I'm not sure yet. I was hoping to see what most people wanted -- either first person or third -- but I was mostly leaning towards a camera that you can adjust, like you can in the game.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Can you give me your email or an IM screen name?

Thanks.

P.S. Yeah this is going to be an epic challenge... 8)

Level 5
'ey im from denmark 2, and i've played it thousinds of hours wandering the landscapes of Vvardenfell... anyways i m8 wanna do some towns or something(but not like the WHOLE island) but i m8 help some(a lil :))

Level 5
Yeah... sorry about the HUGE delay. Noone else had replied in a while so I stopped coming back and checking and then I had become so busy that a forgot about it completely. Sorry about that, and I hope that you all still want to help.

Dragon_Lord

Level 7
Would be extremely easy to make a 1st/3rd person camera... you'd need to model hands, and animations for the hands and swords. I would help, but I have no reason to beleive that any of you guys are good at map making, and would be worth my time to start a project that's not promised...

Level 5
Heh... I doubt it would be multiplayer... it would be much too large for B.Net... and again, sorry for the delay... just moved to Michigan, and only 2 minutes ago got the web up. Sorry!

P.S. Joey, I said I would make a demo map that all people in the "crew" can contribute to.

Dragon_Lord

Level 5
Well I don't have the PC version of the game, so someone else will have to get the loading screens and other files that we might need.

Dragon_Lord

Level 13
Well, I cannot make a whole map without any idea... I'm not lead chief, order me what do you want and I'll do that...

And we should request for some models.

I think we should request for all races models, male and female for every race, with all attachment points, and then we will attach weapons, suits, helmets, shields etc. to them in-game.

Level 5
Hmm... speaking of armor and weapons... well, each armor piece and weapon looks different. How are we going to get all the models for them? Theres at least 400 different armor sets and at least 250 weapons. :shock:

Level 1
I'm sad that i can't help you...The idea of the rpg sounds awesome...But i am not a pro map-maker and nor have i seen morrowing...atleast i think not...:(:(:(:(

Level 5
I'm BACK! Heh. Italy was pretty cool, but I got bored. Lots of hot chicks though.... 8) Anyway, mind tellin me what you've come up with while I was gone? If anything? :lol: Feels so good to be back!

Dragon_Lord

Level 13
I've recently made one of 2 versions of a bonemold helmet. Here is preview:

bonemoldpreview4rx.jpg

I used this texture:
txabonemoldarmunanhelm9kr.jpg

(it is an extracted *.dds texture from Morrowind.bsa archive, converted to targa with IrfanView ;) )

That's how it looks in-game:
bonemoldscreenshot7tr.jpg

Could it be? :roll: [NOTE: It HASN'T to be symetric. I made it non-symetric to be more like "Bone mold"]

Level 5
Sweet! Keep it up! I love those, expecially the bonemold helm! 8)

I've been extremely busy recently... but don't worry, lets make this thing a reality.

*Gives N00byStance a coupon to Steak n' Shake*

Dragon_Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.