• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] A little question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm starting on a project; a Hero defense. It's going to be highly random and is heavily inspired by an old map by the name of Destiny Battle (In some ways; possibly even the spiritual successor); from the author Arathil.

Anyway; my question is this. Are there any particular resources that are highly recommended if not necessary? If so; could someone be so kind as to link me towards them. I am looking for systems that are considered valuable; since this is my first 'large' project (Not my first map; by any stretch of the imagination, though)

Currently; I'm only using this system:
Easy Item Stack 'n Split v2.7.4 by Dangerb0y

I do prefer GUI or J.A.S.S that can be manipulated by GUI, however; so bare that in mind.

I apologize if it seems a little ignorant to ask such a question; but I've heard alot of map authors using particular systems lately; so I thought I'd ask while the map is still in it's infancy stages (Currently; there are 9 Heroes -- most of the vital triggers, a few items, and the terrain).

Level 26
That depends on what you want to achieve. How would we know you need item stacking/splitting just because you make a hero defense? If we could assume things so easily, your project would not be so large and rather 08/15. Restricting yourself to GUI is no plus point either.

First think what you want to create, then look what is required.

Level 7
Well, one popular (and perhaps necessary) now are DDS'. A good one would be looking_for_help's DDS.
Lovely, thanks. I've been looking for a good damage system. I can't believe blizzard didn't think to add one to begin with, heh.

Do you happen to know the best system for item management? Currently; as stated prior -- I'm using Easy Item Stack 'n Split by Dangerb0y. It fits my needs well; but I've noticed a few issues with it. Namely; it stacks more than just consumable items... Which isn't a good thing since my map has alot of items that use charges in more ways than just the typical on-use indicator. For instance; there is a rare hammer; after 6 attacks it unleashes a chain lightning spell. The item uses stacks to help keep the player notified how many more attacks they need.

Level 26
From what I see most people use here, there is not much of a baseline. They import some special systems like a damage engine, stack/split items as you mentioned, xe, bonusMod, save/load, knockback, dgui.

What I consider the baseline would be the development environment, tools to modify resources like icons, models, a reasonable script language (at least not GUI), data storage and structures, since you will most-likely use units, monitoring of them, which includes but is not restricted to catching damage events, an event system in general, something like bonusMod to modify unit stats, debugging support, a math library.

Level 7
Ahh, I see.
I wasn't entirely sure what most people do, so; it helps to know that there's no baseline. Thank you for your time, and I appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into them; as for me and GUI; yeah -- I realize it's not the most efficient system, but it's what I'm comfortable with.

I would absolutely love to learn Vjass, but it's one of those things that I'm guessing would take far too much time -- and honestly; by the time I would've learned it what little remains of the Warcraft III community would've probably disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.