• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A little dungeon crawler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
A tiny dungeon crawler demo. The premise of the map is to ration supplies and recieve as little damage as possible as you don't regenerate health. Not sure what to do with it.

Attachments

• Castle Braw.w3x
    190.1 KB · Views: 37
Level 2
I've played it a handful of times. Then again it's barely the start. I'll remove the melee triggers. Items aren't supposed to stack so you have to plan what you bring into battle. Going around with 30 javelins in your pocket would be silly (except for the bow maybe, I want to make it so the bow is an item on its own and you would get quivers that contain like 7 arrows). The idea is that you are not legendary hero like in every other crawler, but a normal human adventurer. You remain human no matter how much equipment or abilities you have.

Level 12
I like the idea. It reminds me of some survival mods for skyrim. They make normal gameplay a lot harder to pull off by making diseases very deadly and you actually have to eat, sleep, and stay warm to survive. I even heard of one where torches burn out and all the dungeons are pitch black. These mods together could cause a normal dungeon to take a long time to complete and also prepare for so it was sort of neat in its own way - preventing you from going through many dungeons in a single sitting.

Anyway, I think, since you don't have the whole world of skyrim to live in (unless you really do build a large world map), you should focus on the gameplay elements that this theme entails. That means hard combat that focuses on basics like you mention - not taking damage, conserving supplies, etc. No room for things like becoming a god due to items you obtain.

I would focus on making interesting enemies (dodge-able abilities and attacks, exploitable weaknesses) and interesting items (mostly consumable that get depleted in some way).

Level 5
These feels kind of like the classic resident evil game, with interactions and rationing items (Not to mention zombies). Like Wareditor said, you should be able to stack charged items. If you don't have it already, perhaps add some hidden keys and puzzles that require some thinking to solve, maybe some documents you can interact with to help solve the puzzles. After playing for 3 minutes I can see this game will require a lot of kiting. That said some monsters move faster than you making kiting impossible, I hope you have something to help solve that otherwise engaging those monsters seem to be a guaranteed death.

Status
Not open for further replies.