• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

A Giant (Zero Collision) Unit - Buggy Animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Greetings all. It's been a while since I came here.

So I'm working on a map and this map has a giant unit - that is, it's super huge in terms of size.

Now, I want it to be able to move completely unhindered through the map. By this, I mean it can:
A) Walk over units.
B) Walk over terrain.
C) Walk through water.

Now, my map has no flying units at all, so I can just give it "Movement type - Flying" and this works partially but the animations of the unit start to get weird. Sometimes when the unit moves, it keeps rotating slightly back and forth between about 3 to minus 3 degrees of roll angle.

Also, when the unit tries to pass over a building, it hovers into the air instead of just walking straight through (over) it.

Is there some way to remove the roll angle change and stop it from hovering into the air when it passes over a building?

Level 14
Make sure you have set the Maximum Roll Angle and Maximum Pitch Angle to 0. You may also want to change the unit's Elevation - Sample Points and Sample Radius to 0. See what that does

Level 14
Why don't you just make the unit Movement Type - Foot in object editor and use
  • Unit - Turn collision for No unit Off
It will do exactly what you need (pass through literally anything, cliffs, trees, other units, etc), without the quirky bugs that flying movement adds.

The problem with this is that the unit itself is still then treated like an obstacle by other units.

i.e. the super giant can walk through others, but they can't walk through it.

Level 12
The problem with this is that the unit itself is still then treated like an obstacle by other units.

i.e. the super giant can walk through others, but they can't walk through it.

Did you try it? I'm pretty sure "turn of collision" let's other units walk through as well.

And if not, why not mix them both? Turn of the collision and give it ghost visible ability or the mine ability which let unit's walk over (Whatever it's called again).

Now the unit can walk through everything and other units can walk through it as well.

Other units can pass through another unit if you turned it's collision off via trigger.

The problem is, that the AI pathfinding will still try to move the units around the unit and will only let them "pass" if the AI actually orders the unit to move inside the giant.

To prevent this, you can enable the "walkable" flag in the object editor for the unit (it's used for example on the signal circle unit) to make other units ignore the collision of the unit in the AI.
This will not make other units "walk" on top of the unit visually (like it does with destructables), it's just an AI thing.

To prevent this, you can enable the "walkable" flag in the object editor for the unit (it's used for example on the signal circle unit) to make other units ignore the collision of the unit in the AI.
This will not make other units "walk" on top of the unit visually (like it does with destructables), it's just an AI thing.

My god, so THAT's what it does!

Level 24
Other units can pass through another unit if you turned it's collision off via trigger.

The problem is, that the AI pathfinding will still try to move the units around the unit and will only let them "pass" if the AI actually orders the unit to move inside the giant.

The "Ghost" ability also does this cause ghosts are invisible and you could technically detect them by watching when one of your units denies to walk on its location...
However, the drawback is that it also makes your unit invisible.
For that, there is another ability "Ghost (Visible)" that will make the unit walkable but not invisible.

This is kind of what you did, but then able to turn it on and off at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.