• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A disturbing transperancy change caused by 1.19 patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I've noticed something very strange - and very bad - has happened to one of my skins since the 1.19 patch.

My personal favourite skin was based on the Dark Troll Berserker (DarkTroll.blp).

When I made this skin, I removed its weapons by making them transparent (I think that's called 'alphaing them out' or something like that). Basically, I just used the eraser tool in Photoshop 7.0 to remove them, and that worked fine. (I've now got 7.0.1, so don't tell me I should update. ;))

Trouble is, since the 1.19 patch, it looks as if the Troll Berserker skin doesn't support transperancies of any kind anymore.

Not only does it now simply have two plain white, textureless axes, but the torn loincloth (where even the original model has some transparency) also has a flat white section where it's MEANT to be transparent.

I tried exporting the .blp file - both with with Image Extractor II and with Warcraft 3 Viewer - and then importing it into the map and using it instead of the default one. Although I did not change anything in the .blp file, I was surprised to notice that the transperancy that's supposed to be on the loincloth of the original model is NOT present when I import the .blp file. The only time that that part of the loincloth is transparent is when you don't use a custom skin for it. Very, very strange, and very worrying.

Why does the skin suddenly and stubbornly seem to resist all attempts to make any part of it transparent(even the parts that are SUPPOSED to be transparent)? What the heck is going on? And is there ANYTHING I can do?

Level 14
Afronight_76 said:
make sure your file isnt a jpeg or a bmp file. otherwise im not sure what couldve happened.

It most definitely is NOT a .jpg or .bmp. I only convert to .tga if I convert it, and in this case, I didn't even do that (just extracted it as .blp and then imported it again).

This is downright depressing. I really didn't want to have to do any 3D modelling, mainly because I haven't got the tools and haven't got a clue on how to use them.

Maybe, just maybe 1.19b will have fixed this problem, but that's about as likely as candy raining from the sky.

Evil_Arthas 87 - I'll look into 3D modelling only as an absolute last resort. Everything I've made I've made without any 3D modelling, and learning all that stuff just to fix one measly little thing that I shouldn't even have to fix is really annoying. Besides, if I have to make a whole new model for the unit and import it, won't that result in my map getting significantly bigger... just so I can remove a few axes?

Unfortunately though I'm starting to feel like there might not be another way....

Level 14
Well, I'm officially an idiot.

I've figured out what the problem was... and it WASN'T the patch. It's actually all my fault!

It had to do with the fact that I reinstalled Warcraft 3 and TFT before applying it.

I thought the reinstall had kept all my options (since I told it to keep all my profiles etc when uninstalled the previous version). However, it seems it didn't keep all my options saved - specifically, it changed the model quality in the Video Options to medium, whereas before the reinstall they had been set to high.

That would explain why the model had its transperancy removed - it was being displayed on medium quality, which meant it didn't allow transperancies!

Well, at least it's all working again now...

Status
Not open for further replies.