• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

90 degree slopes: Possible? If so, how with JNGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm using the Jass Newgen Pack and I want to create a 90 degree vertical slope by raising the terrain and then flattening the top with the plateau tool. So far, I can get pretty close to 90 degrees but not perfectly straight. Can it be done? And, if so, how?

I know this question has been asked a number of times before, but my research thus far has yielded contradictory advice with some saying that it it possible while others insisting that only close-to-but-not-quite 90 degree slopes are doable.

I am aware of the advice concerning the miscdata.txt file. Is this file still needed if using JNGP with no limits enabled? If so, must I place it in a UI folder within my Warcraft 3 folder or import it into the map itself? (I have stumbled across more contradictory advice concerning this: some advocate placing the miscdata.txt file in the UI folder while others advise importing it)

I would really appreciate it if someone could provide definitive answers for both of my questions.

Level 4
Whether I use JNGP on its own with no limits enabled, or after placing the miscdata.txt file into the UI folder, the best that I can achieve are very steep slopes that aren't perfectly straight (see image).

Attachments

• straight slopes.jpg
    straight slopes.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 98
Level 14
I don't think this can be done. What you can do however: is create 90 degrees wall doodads to use for your terrain.

Or if you want to have something that looks closely like 90 degrees you could increase the height of the slope to a higher limit and use triggers to position your camera with a minimum z height.

Level 4
The foot switch stacking is a smart idea, but it only works if you are creating a small vertical slope otherwise you end up with a huge volume of destructibles that are literally just sitting around. And using a smaller volume of foot switches just to straighten the edge of a terrain slope can produce texture clashes.

I think I will stick with terrain slopes that are very close to vertical and just cover up the bits that aren't with doodads (like your "close enough" image).

Status
Not open for further replies.